Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 11:40 AM

314 posts, read 555,613 times

Advertisements

I want to preface by saying, I don't want to get into a mud-slinging, name-calling debate over this. But I am just curious, for those who are familiar with the layout of Minneapolis, what are the demographics of city where the riots are developing? Is it a predominately lower-income area? Again, I am not familiar with the makeup of Minneapolis, so maybe you can tell me more about this particular part of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 12:25 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,387,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
I want to preface by saying, I don't want to get into a mud-slinging, name-calling debate over this. But I am just curious, for those who are familiar with the layout of Minneapolis, what are the demographics of city where the riots are developing? Is it a predominately lower-income area? Again, I am not familiar with the makeup of Minneapolis, so maybe you can tell me more about this particular part of town.
Yes, it is historically low income but has been undergoing the slow process of improving in recent years. These looters and rioters have effectively accelerated the rate of gentrification by a decent clip by my estimation. Thanks rioters.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:51 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,720,681 times
National news gives the impression that this is exclusively black neighborhood but that is not the case. People of all races and ethnic backgrounds — black, white, Latino, Asian, African, Native American — live there in relative harmony with each other. It has long been one of my favorite parts of the city. What has happened there saddens me beyond words.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Yes, it is historically low income but has been undergoing the slow process of improving in recent years. These looters and rioters have effectively accelerated the rate of gentrification by a decent clip by my estimation. Thanks rioters.
Had the rioters gone into the most affluent neighborhoods of the city to wreak havoc, I am sure the response time for police and military intervention to shut everything down would have been much soon.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:12 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,815,036 times
Riots also in St.Paul. The Minneapolis Star Tribune has a list of damage done in Minneapolis, St.Paul and Roseville. Libraries, WIC building, banks, restaurants, laundries, grocery and drugstores to name a few. What a loss to those who live and work in the area.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:03 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,786,139 times
The ironic thing is that i remember when they built the Third Precinct station it was set there as a stabilizing influence on what had been kind of a wild west part of the neighborhood. Lots of drugs, massage places, seedy bars. Light rail and the 55 overpass brought another wave of redevelopment. The Y was built, couple of new small strip malls, and it seems like things would have been looking up. Guess not.

I don't know if Powderhorn ever improved. Used to have a friend who lived there in the late 80s and you could hear gunfire all the time.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The ironic thing is that i remember when they built the Third Precinct station it was set there as a stabilizing influence on what had been kind of a wild west part of the neighborhood. Lots of drugs, massage places, seedy bars. Light rail and the 55 overpass brought another wave of redevelopment. The Y was built, couple of new small strip malls, and it seems like things would have been looking up. Guess not.

I don't know if Powderhorn ever improved. Used to have a friend who lived there in the late 80s and you could hear gunfire all the time.
We lived in Powderhorn from 2008-2014. It has improved there significantly over the last 15 years or thanks to the arrival of the light rail, the Sears building restoration into the Midtown Exchange and Global Market, the Midtown Farmers Market, the YWCA, lots of apartment and condo buildings, etc. etc. It still had a ways to go but things were definitely on the upswing until a few days ago. The neighborhood looks like a war zone now.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:50 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,786,139 times
Quote:
We lived in Powderhorn from 2008-2014. It has improved there significantly over the last 15 years or thanks to the arrival of the light rail, the Sears building restoration into the Midtown Exchange and Global Market, the Midtown Farmers Market, the YWCA, lots of apartment and condo buildings, etc. etc. It still had a ways to go but things were definitely on the upswing until a few days ago. The neighborhood looks like a war zone now.
The turnover of the Sears store was a huge boost to the neighborhood. We used to go to the smaller mercado, I think it was on Bloomington. I remember shooting a commercial one time for a chicken place on Lake down near 35. Were trying to get an outside shot of the building but we had to keep shooing away the hookers. Old timers used to tell stories about Lake St when it was still the main drag and full of car dealerships. The old pics are pretty cool.

Light rail too was a spur for development. I used to live by the VA hospital and used Hiawatha as the back road to downtown. When the train started going in it was almost like a forest of tower cranes all along 55 between the park and Lake.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
What's sickening to me is there are many people on my Facebook feed that are glorifying the business getting burned down and saying places like Target deserve to get destroyed. The hell with corporate America and all that crap. But what they fail to realize is some people probably working at these places, and working paycheck to paycheck, trying to make an honest living for themselves. And now they aren't going to work tomorrow. And then they will have to wait for unemployment to kick in.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
What's sickening to me is there are many people on my Facebook feed that are glorifying the business getting burned down and saying places like Target deserve to get destroyed. The hell with corporate America and all that crap. But what they fail to realize is some people probably working at these places, and working paycheck to paycheck, trying to make an honest living for themselves. And now they aren't going to work tomorrow. And then they will have to wait for unemployment to kick in.
Glorifying the destruction of businesses, apartments and other buildings is reprehensible. Two wrongs don’t make a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul