Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 07:05 PM

948 posts, read 921,285 times

Advertisements

Protests and crimes occurred all over Minneapolis; but most of it was in South Minneapolis, mainly along Lake Street, and further south.

The east side of Lake Street is probably where most of the protests and rioting happened, because that's where the 3rd Precinct police station is. That's where the looting and fires started. That's the Longfellow neighborhood, which is mostly middle class whites.

Most of Longfellow is residential, but the protests and rioting was mainly near the police station, which is a commercial district with a lot of new development.

The middle part of Lake Street is where George Floyd was killed. The Philips neighborhood is to the north, which is mostly lower income blacks. The Powderhorn neighborhood is to the south, which is mostly middle income whites. Both mix along Lake Street, along with other groups. It's pretty diverse.

The west side of Lake Street is the Uptown area. That's an upper-middle income white neighborhood (or maybe it's rich?). It was the arts district some 20 years ago, until the yuppies took it over and made it unaffordable to artist types. Then it became a place where rich people go shopping and get their hair done.

In neighboring St. Paul, the damage was mainly along University Avenue, mainly in the Midway area which is middle class white neighborhood, with a lot of new development and retail businesses. It's pretty gentrified. About 20-30 years ago it was a poor neighborhood. Since they built the light rail along University, there's been a lot of development along it, especially in the Midway area. It's completely different than when I was young, almost like a suburban area. But I have no idea what it looks like now, after all the damage that was done in the area.

The east side of University goes through Frogtown. I don't know if that area was damaged or not, but it is along University. That's a low income area. It used to be mostly Hmong, but now has a large black population also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 08:29 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Damage and looting occurred all over Minneapolis, St Paul and surrounding suburbs. This map shows the location of damaged properties.

https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer...I6Rr-Kd5&hl=en

I hope people realize that there are people here “reporting” what they saw on TV.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:37 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Protests and crimes occurred all over Minneapolis; but most of it was in South Minneapolis, mainly along Lake Street, and further south.

The east side of Lake Street is probably where most of the protests and rioting happened, because that's where the 3rd Precinct police station is. That's where the looting and fires started. That's the Longfellow neighborhood, which is mostly middle class whites.

Most of Longfellow is residential, but the protests and rioting was mainly near the police station, which is a commercial district with a lot of new development.

The middle part of Lake Street is where George Floyd was killed. The Philips neighborhood is to the north, which is mostly lower income blacks. The Powderhorn neighborhood is to the south, which is mostly middle income whites. Both mix along Lake Street, along with other groups. It's pretty diverse.

The west side of Lake Street is the Uptown area. That's an upper-middle income white neighborhood (or maybe it's rich?). It was the arts district some 20 years ago, until the yuppies took it over and made it unaffordable to artist types. Then it became a place where rich people go shopping and get their hair done.

In neighboring St. Paul, the damage was mainly along University Avenue, mainly in the Midway area which is middle class white neighborhood, with a lot of new development and retail businesses. It's pretty gentrified. About 20-30 years ago it was a poor neighborhood. Since they built the light rail along University, there's been a lot of development along it, especially in the Midway area. It's completely different than when I was young, almost like a suburban area. But I have no idea what it looks like now, after all the damage that was done in the area.

The east side of University goes through Frogtown. I don't know if that area was damaged or not, but it is along University. That's a low income area. It used to be mostly Hmong, but now has a large black population also.
Correction - George Floyd wasn’t killed in the middle portion of Lake St. It was at the Cup Foods located 8 blocks south of Lake St. at the intersection of 38th St and Chicago Ave. Also, Powderhorn is a very diverse and lower middle-income area of the city.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:32 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Didn't read all the posts. But post #20 by Sunlady is the most accurate.

The West side of Lake street, divided by 35w is the "better side" closest to Lake formally known as Calhoun is really nice. I happened to take a exit off of 35w a few years ago and the area was obviously undergoing a renewal. Were previously run down houses they are is being rehabbed. There were new trendy shops and boutiques and bars I was pleasantly surprised. 20 years ago I had to go to the area for something and I was afraid to get out of my car and turned around and left.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:16 AM

We were on E Lake St this morning at Mercado Central to pick up some tamales at La Loma. We walked around a bit and looked at some of the murals. Everything is boarded up and we were told it will be like that for a while due to a national shortage of window glass. Everyone we encountered was friendly and polite.

Businesses were open but there was very little foot or auto traffic. Of course, it was pretty early in the morning but it seemed light compared to pre-COVID times. I would encourage folks to patronize the local businesses— they could really use the support.

I came away feeling sad yet cautiously optimistic. Godspeed.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We were on E Lake St this morning at Mercado Central to pick up some tamales at La Loma. We walked around a bit and looked at some of the murals. Everything is boarded up and we were told it will be like that for a while due to a national shortage of window glass. Everyone we encountered was friendly and polite.

Businesses were open but there was very little foot or auto traffic. Of course, it was pretty early in the morning but it seemed light compared to pre-COVID times. I would encourage folks to patronize the local businesses— they could really use the support.

I came away feeling sad yet cautiously optimistic. Godspeed.
It indeed is a small world! We frequent La Loma for the atole and tamales. We are very much connected to the E. Lake corridor and we’re pretty devastated by what happened there. However, at the same time I’m encouraged by the community’s response and believe we can rebuild and come away from this stronger and more united than before.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It indeed is a small world! We frequent La Loma for the atole and tamales. We are very much connected to the E. Lake corridor and we’re pretty devastated by what happened there. However, at the same time I’m encouraged by the community’s response and believe we can rebuild and come away from this stronger and more united than before.
Indeed it is! La Loma reopened today. They had closed all their locations for the COVID shutdown but are finally back.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:49 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Didn't read all the posts. But post #20 by Sunlady is the most accurate.

The West side of Lake street, divided by 35w is the "better side" closest to Lake formally known as Calhoun is really nice. I happened to take a exit off of 35w a few years ago and the area was obviously undergoing a renewal. Were previously run down houses they are is being rehabbed. There were new trendy shops and boutiques and bars I was pleasantly surprised. 20 years ago I had to go to the area for something and I was afraid to get out of my car and turned around and left.
looking forward to your next update in 2040

Old 06-06-2020, 05:49 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
Thanks for more local insight. I really rarely find myself around that area much anymore. I used to have family near lake Harriet but they are long gone. I was I guess talking of my experience in the area Lake and 35W area in the late 70's early 80s, but the area has improved greatly since then. I did go to Children's Hospital often 2-3x a week (friends child had health issues) in the early 80's over a six months time, about half the time at night so my impression came from that. Heard sound of gun shots at least a dozen times while in the area while driving near the Children's Hospital off of Lake Street and Chicago Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul