Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times

Advertisements

I thought I would create a thread dedicated to the food and drink establishments that didn’t survive the epidemic and shutdown. I’ll start by naming a couple of our favorites that are gone and it brings a tear to my eye as we frequented both these places...

El Burrito Minneapolis - 4820 Chicago Ave S
Bar Luchador - 825 SE Washington Ave

Anyone else care to share a few of their favorites that didn’t make it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 09:05 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,708,765 times
A few others come to mind:

Mission American Kitchen
Cheese Louise
Sleepy V’s
Egg & I
Izzy’s St. Paul
4 Bells
Bachelor Farmer
NE Arcade
Muddy Waters
Betty Danger’s
Pazzaluna

There will be many, many more before this is over. All because of shoddy modeling by amateurs.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:25 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
Seeing similar stuff down here in Atlanta.

I've talked to a few of the owners, and in most cases, it's a combination of the following factors:

- many are getting reprieve to break leases, so if they were already underperforming, now is the time to jump ship
- some couldn't swallow the costs of being closed for a quarter of the year
- a majority aren't projecting being profitable after factoring in some of the new rules they have to abide by; less people in the restaurant, sanitizing more often, safety measures like installing plexi-glass, etc.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Seeing similar stuff down here in Atlanta.

I've talked to a few of the owners, and in most cases, it's a combination of the following factors:

- many are getting reprieve to break leases, so if they were already underperforming, now is the time to jump ship
- some couldn't swallow the costs of being closed for a quarter of the year
- a majority aren't projecting being profitable after factoring in some of the new rules they have to abide by; less people in the restaurant, sanitizing more often, safety measures like installing plexi-glass, etc.
It’s a difficult business in the best of times. I read today that employee-owned Hell’s Kitchen is going to stay completely closed until July, when they hope to begin offering take out. The article said the when they are completely shut down, their fixed costs still run $41,000 a month!

https://www.fox9.com/news/hells-kitc...lling-it-quits

Old 05-19-2020, 12:48 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,697,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
It’s a difficult business in the best of times. I read today that employee-owned Hell’s Kitchen is going to stay completely closed until July, when they hope to begin offering take out. The article said the when they are completely shut down, their fixed costs still run $41,000 a month!

https://www.fox9.com/news/hells-kitc...lling-it-quits
I can't imagine the pressure to need to clear $41K after costs just to break even!

I work for Coca Cola headquarters, and seeing our sales is loosely a reflection of the general economy.....

Sodas +5% to LY
Juice/Milk +20% to LY
Water/Powerade -10% to LY
Foodservice (fountain sodas, etc.) is still down about 35% to Last Year, at its worst in early April it was down 75%.

For what it's worth, beer sales are up 35%!

I say that to highlight that the restaurant business is still probably down more than 35% to a normal year when you factor in all the mom and pop sit down restaurants that probably don't sell that much soda. I've heard as many as 15% will never reopen, which I can easily believe.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:03 PM

701 posts, read 1,708,649 times
Betty Danger's doesn't appear to be closing permanently: https://bettydangers.com/

Old 05-19-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
Betty Danger's doesn't appear to be closing permanently: https://bettydangers.com/
Not officially yet, but it’s for sale and the owner says it can’t be profitable. No official closing announcement but no plans to open either.
Wanna buy Betty Danger's AND its giant Ferris wheel in Minneapolis? | City Pages

Old 05-20-2020, 04:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Most of these restaurants were old and/or in poor health anyways

...see how that works?

Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,368,595 times
Burger Jones in uptown is gone. I never got a chance to eat there but heard that it was quite good. Didn’t a guy once illegally land his plane on one of the lakes so he could get lunch there? RIP.

Update - I found the article: http://www.citypages.com/news/pilots...urgers-6549539

Old 05-21-2020, 08:53 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobat612 View Post
I live across the street and it was a decent place. Nothing great, but a decent local standby. I feel for the staff - the bartender was always real cool with me.

I never went to the Uptown one - but the one in Burnsville is awful IMO. Went a couple of times, one time the server was extremely rude, the other the food was undercooked. Not good, especially considering their prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul