Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 05:21 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,751,635 times

Advertisements

Fig + Farro in Uptown announced their closure today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 10:04 AM

The Herkimer in Lyn-Lake called in quits.

After 20 years, The Herkimer calls it quits in Lyn-Lake | City Pages

Of course, there are all the places burned out in the riots. If I get time, I’ll try to post a list. Some may come back but many will not.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:08 AM

540 posts, read 1,100,717 times
This quote points out that it's not totally due to Corona:

“Prior to the coronavirus outbreak, it had become increasingly apparent that the evolving character of the industry was becoming less able to sustain a neighborhood pub like us."

It seems like younger people in places like Uptown are not going to bar/restaurants as much, and when they do, they don't order as much alcohol. Combined with Corona, it's a heavy 1-2 punch.

The article also says Fuji-Ya is closing as well.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:24 AM

6,615 posts, read 7,225,872 times
A friend of mine who lives in that area and has the brewery passport told me the beer sucked there. He liked the setup, but noticed how it went from packed to not many being there prior to COVID. I have a feeling the failure had to do with ownership not adapting to current beer trends. Trends I currently see at successful breweries that were packed even during COVID, with walk up windows.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:23 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,736,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post
This quote points out that it's not totally due to Corona:

“Prior to the coronavirus outbreak, it had become increasingly apparent that the evolving character of the industry was becoming less able to sustain a neighborhood pub like us."

It seems like younger people in places like Uptown are not going to bar/restaurants as much, and when they do, they don't order as much alcohol. Combined with Corona, it's a heavy 1-2 punch.

The article also says Fuji-Ya is closing as well.
MN has to pay servers normal minimum wage, whereas a majority of states get away with paying servers $2-3/hr (vs. ~$9 in MN). That's got to have a huge impact on the bottom line. On top of that, there is a cook shortage, combined with a growing frustration on tipping policies, over-saturation and you have yourself a really tough market to compete in.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:18 PM

6,615 posts, read 7,225,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
MN has to pay servers normal minimum wage, whereas a majority of states get away with paying servers $2-3/hr (vs. ~$9 in MN). That's got to have a huge impact on the bottom line. On top of that, there is a cook shortage, combined with a growing frustration on tipping policies, over-saturation and you have yourself a really tough market to compete in.
My bartender friends in Mpls make at least $12/hr before tips. My neighbor is head bartender at a place and is at around $18/hr.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:04 PM

540 posts, read 1,100,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
A friend of mine who lives in that area and has the brewery passport told me the beer sucked there. He liked the setup, but noticed how it went from packed to not many being there prior to COVID. I have a feeling the failure had to do with ownership not adapting to current beer trends. Trends I currently see at successful breweries that were packed even during COVID, with walk up windows.

That's a good point. I never thought the beer was all that great at Herkimer. I've only been to a couple of breweries during COVID, but Dangerous Man seems to be doing good business still. They regularly run out of beer. What I think this is showing is how razor-thin the margin is on bars and restaurants. Those that were just getting by before COVID and the riots are either closed or on life support now.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:48 AM

202 posts, read 431,280 times
we will be left with only taco bell

Old 06-27-2020, 12:08 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,428,514 times
RIP Fuji Ya in Lynlake.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/twincit...-street-closed

Old 06-27-2020, 04:32 PM

Cowboy Jack’s downtown and Cowboy Slim’s in Uptown are closing, not due to COVID but to ongoing violence and civil disorder.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...oing-violence/

Cowboy Jack’s was recently named at a hotspot in the recent increase in COVID cases, so perhaps their closing is COVID related. Who knows?

Last edited by Glenfield; 06-27-2020 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul