Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 06:27 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,727,312 times

Advertisements

Butcher and the Boar is the latest victim, citing Covid and crime. Here’s an updated list. https://mspmag.com/eat-and-drink/foo...rant-closings/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 02:41 PM

41 posts, read 25,262 times
Add the Surly beer hall. Very sad.
[Mod cut: politics]

Last edited by elnina; 09-07-2020 at 04:07 PM..

Old 10-26-2020, 11:56 AM

Add Chino Latino in Uptown and La Fresca at 48th and Grand to the list.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Add Chino Latino in Uptown and La Fresca at 48th and Grand to the list.
That’s too bad about La Fresca. We dined there a few times and enjoyed it. I also noticed that both The New Cantina and Dick’s Last Resort from the 4th floor of the MOA are permanently closed.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that we can expect MANY more closures in the coming months.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
That’s too bad about La Fresca. We dined there a few times and enjoyed it. I also noticed that both The New Cantina and Dick’s Last Resort from the 4th floor of the MOA are permanently closed.

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that we can expect MANY more closures in the coming months.
We always liked Cafe Fresca. Hector still has Café Ena and Rincon 38 on Grand. He’s also opened a new tacqueria, El Travieso, on 50th and Xerxes. https://www.eltraviesotaqueria.com/

We try to support his places first because he’s a neighbor and our daughters are friends.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:25 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
We always liked Cafe Fresca. Hector still has Café Ena and Rincon 38 on Grand. He’s also opened a new tacqueria, El Travieso, on 50th and Xerxes. https://www.eltraviesotaqueria.com/

We try to support his places first because he’s a neighbor and our daughters are friends.
I saw El Travieso while driving down 50th the other day. I was impressed by how they decorated the exterior of the space with kind of a “dia de los muertos” vibe. We will definitely pay it a visit very soon.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Not a restaurant closing but a source of restaurant reviews has closed. City Pages has stopped publishing today, citing Covid as the reason. Locally, the Southwest Journal has also gone out of business for the same reason: a drop in ad revenues due to Covid.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:44 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,077,208 times
From City Pages today:

"31 restaurants, curbside-pickup spots, and delivery joints that opened since COVID hit

Lots of places have closed since COVID-19 arrived in Minnesota... but a frankly shocking number of new spots have opened, too. (And more are getting announced all the time!)"

31 Minneapolis-St. Paul restaurants that opened since COVID hit | City Pages

Old 10-28-2020, 03:20 PM

6,575 posts, read 7,173,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
From City Pages today:

"31 restaurants, curbside-pickup spots, and delivery joints that opened since COVID hit

Lots of places have closed since COVID-19 arrived in Minnesota... but a frankly shocking number of new spots have opened, too. (And more are getting announced all the time!)"

31 Minneapolis-St. Paul restaurants that opened since COVID hit | City Pages
I would bet many had started prior to COVID. Surdyk’s was announced last winter. My step daughter knows Justin Sutherland who owns many places in town and had bought The Gnome prior to it and was going to redo everything over the summer anyways. He also moved his Handsome Hog to another location in St Paul. My friends pizza shop in White Bear has had his best summer/year ever in his 15 yrs of owning it.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:24 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,077,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I would bet many had started prior to COVID. Surdyk’s was announced last winter. My step daughter knows Justin Sutherland who owns many places in town and had bought The Gnome prior to it and was going to redo everything over the summer anyways. He also moved his Handsome Hog to another location in St Paul. My friends pizza shop in White Bear has had his best summer/year ever in his 15 yrs of owning it.

According to another article in City Pages, though pursing the space, the lease on the old Gnome space was not signed until after Covid hit "in earnest":

Why would anyone open a restaurant right now? | City Pages

Loved the Gnome. Happy to hear that the new owners are up and running (and will continue to use the many, many tap lines).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul