Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 08:35 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,542,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
And you'll get the typical arguments of drugs, poor education, racism, forced to drive & driving long distances to get anything, lack of diversity(lol), etc.

I'll say this: IDK how the job market is up there. I know of TRF and Crookston with their distribution centers since I worked in TRF last summer, but that's it.
The crime up here would all be hooked up with Alcohol and Meth or Gas Drive-offs. Meth heads don't do much in the way of strong arm or armed robberies, they shoplift or steel under cover of dark.

Schools are likely better than what's available in the City at least where public education is concerned. I'm sure Racism exists, my black wife actually suggested we make the move, knowing full well how it is demographically around here. There are more non-white families than in the past, so it's getting better. It's still Trump country and that is somewhat comforting.

As for the extra driving? I don't have to go far for the regular grocery shopping trips. I did so fairly often when living in South Minneapolis, driving further out or to the Suburbs. Yes it is a PITA if you want to go to Home Depot or Menards, those drives are nearly an hour. The local hardware is good and we do have a Walmart. Traffic here only shows up around the weekend as the City Folks head up here with their boats and campers. I avoid Friday evening coming back up or Sunday evenings heading down. All the rest of the time I only begin to experience traffic from Little Falls on in. 94 will always be 94 so no big deal

Remote work is what's allowing me to live here, not a local job. The local jobs do exist but finding a career could be a challenge. RDO is probably the biggest employer and they're always hiring. Skilled labor is still big in the area. The work is here and there is an abundance of seasonal work that caters to the tourism. Main Street is bustling with people now the summer is upon us and it's also walkable and vibrant.

It's all about the quality of life and we're at the top of the scale here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 12:40 AM

87 posts, read 105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Twin Cities certainly have varying degrees of the issues you mention, but I would never move to Texas under any circumstances due to the horrible summer temperatures. I deal with cold far better, I can't do 105-110F with humidity or dry heat with the extreme ugly landscape and auto-centric nature of north Texas. It is not a cheap place to live either with rapidly escalating real estate prices and property taxes. The advantage of the no state income tax gets mitigated with rapidly increasing cost of living there every year. Texas is a high crime state, period. Minnesota is mostly a very low crime state outside of a few areas.

I could not agree with you more. Minnesota has many issues (as do all states) but I could definitely deal with the passive aggressiveness and fake nice attributes of the natives a lot more than being in any city in Texas.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:56 AM

32 posts, read 42,330 times
Hey all.

My wife and I moved from the Twin Cities to Charlotte, NC last year. So far it’s been a great experience. We enjoy that it’s a little smaller feeling than the twin cities. We can go into downtown or a smaller feeling town with not too much of an issue.

While the people, food, and proximity to mountains and beach are amazing, I still miss Minnesota. All in all, our families are up there, and it’s home. We will be visiting them in August and it will be interesting to see how it all feels since we left last year.

We are very grateful we decided to do this, as we were itching for something different. We wanted to try a different climate with day trips aplenty nearby. It was a nice break this past winter to only have an inch of snow total, that’s for sure!

We are undecided. Ultimately with potential kids in a couple of years, it would be easier to be around family. Plus our kids can grow up experiencing what we did growing up.. Going to Twins games, playing hockey in the winter, going on one of the many lakes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul