Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 01:44 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Target has changed, for the better, since the current CEO took the helm.
yes, I too have heard this. Prior to him, Target's leadership was too homegrown. In that respect, I'm glad he decided to clean house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 05:53 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
What do Target Stores have to do with leaving the Twin Cities?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:58 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
What do Target Stores have to do with leaving the Twin Cities?
The stores don't, but in summary, an earlier poster, perhaps it was the OP stated the reason they are leaving MN is due to the passive aggressive corporate culture like one finds at Targets HQ

Old 08-04-2019, 06:02 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,598,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
The stores don't, but in summary, an earlier poster, perhaps it was the OP stated the reason they are leaving MN is due to the passive aggressive corporate culture like one finds at Targets HQ
Oh, missed that part, must have.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:45 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_4_Seasons View Post
Interesting, I’m leaving for the very reason I read about on this forum two years ago before I came here! I like Minnesota, but I don’t care so much for Minnesotans. I know, I hear you getting defensive. But, the truth is they’re as passive aggressive as this forum warned. This might be a challenge in your social life, but it’s a killer — and I mean will ruin your career kind of “killer” in the work place. Minnesotans are “nice” but it’s shallow and only to your face. They’re nasty, gossipy, want to take credit for the work of others, and quite honestly they’re so insecure that you can’t work with them on any project.

But again, I read this before I came her. On a shallow level, they’re courteous and polite. But, they’ll cut your throat in a New York minute. Glad to be leaving!
Interesting. As a born and raised Minnesotan who has moved back to MN twice (twin cities both times) I can relate to some of this. Having lived around the country I do see how people perceive SOME Minnesotans this way. I’ve also come to know that by all means try to blend in here which for an “outsider” already presents an upstream battle.

I think what “outsiders” mistake (I’m married to one) is that in Minnesota if you come off as too forward or maybe even assertive, it will back fire on you. You have to tread very carefully as to not come off as too proud or appear arrogant. Always, always take the lower road. I think it all boils down to communication, more or less.

In these experiences (because even though I’m from MN I do not operate in a passive aggressive manner just like many Minnesotans I know) I will usually say “sorry about xyz, could you please tell the strategy you use?” Which asserts their issue (even if I don’t agree) and makes it seem like I do actually care. This has worked well.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:41 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Add professional sports teams to the list. No professional teams for basketball and football.
I see those as positives. What's the appeal of having a sports team nearby? So what?

I'll never understand fandom. They are childrens' games, and they have convinced millions of suckers to make them rich.

Does your wife respect you more because you wear a jersey with another man's name on it? Likely not, but I'm sure the team owners are happy for your patronage, along with the advertising dollars, and along with the taxpayer-provided stadiums.

Panem et circenses. You're giving in to the circus side of the coin. Don't get distracted by it.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Then why does Minnesota have one of the highest per capita GDPs and per capita income in the country, not to mention an envious collection of 20 odd Fortune 500 companies? Why does our economy continue to excel in such a horrific business environment of backstabbers, cheaters, and passive aggression?

Thank You Jennifat!

I think the passive/aggressive stereotype is complete bull****. I've not experienced that in the least. I don't know who is posting crap like that but I suspect it's people who are themselves insecure and are sensitive to any slight that comes their way. If it exists, it does so in small companies - not in the big businesses that dominate the economics of the state.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:53 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I see those as positives. What's the appeal of having a sports team nearby? So what?

I'll never understand fandom. They are childrens' games, and they have convinced millions of suckers to make them rich.

Does your wife respect you more because you wear a jersey with another man's name on it? Likely not, but I'm sure the team owners are happy for your patronage, along with the advertising dollars, and along with the taxpayer-provided stadiums.

Panem et circenses. You're giving in to the circus side of the coin. Don't get distracted by it.
Lighten up, Frances. It’s entertainment. No better or worse than other firms. Of course, reading your post leads me to believe that you’re not much into fun and do your best to make sure that those around you don’t have any either.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post

Believe me, I don't follow sports teams and have little interest in them. But the fact is that they generate billions of dollars for the metropolitan areas they reside in. And the Twin Cities have 8 (count 'em EIGHT) professional sports teams. There are only 13 metros in the US that have professional teams in the big 4 leagues. And MSP is one of them. Seattle, Portland, Atlanta, Houston, Cleveland, St. Louis, Charlotte, Nashville and dozens of other big cities don't have them.

That's a helluva lot of franchises for any of the top 20-sized metropolitan areas. And as stupid as it sounds, corporate interests love to tie themselves to sports teams.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:53 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Believe me, I don't follow sports teams and have little interest in them. But the fact is that they generate billions of dollars for the metropolitan areas they reside in. And the Twin Cities have 8 (count 'em EIGHT) professional sports teams. There are only 13 metros in the US that have professional teams in the big 4 leagues. And MSP is one of them. Seattle, Portland, Atlanta, Houston, Cleveland, St. Louis, Charlotte, Nashville and dozens of other big cities don't have them.

That's a helluva lot of franchises for any of the top 20-sized metropolitan areas. And as stupid as it sounds, corporate interests love to tie themselves to sports teams.
I'm curious about the boost - in actual, demonstrated economic numbers - to the Twin Cities economy in 1989, when the Timberwolves began play. And the similar drop in local economic numbers in 1993 when the North Stars departed. And a boost again in 2000 when the Wild dropped the puck for the first time.

I highly doubt any such boost happened.

It is certain that franchises generate some local revenue. However, these 'studies' (I'm taking about the ones carried out by the franchises themselves, showing how it would be highly profitable for the state to spend $1 billion on a stadium for the team to play in) invariably measure gross revenues and try and pass them off as revenues that would not otherwise accrue. Of course, that's nonsense. People spend discretionary income on sporting events. When the Stars left in 1993, season ticket holders did not simply throw away the money they had previously spend on seats in the Met Center. They used it for other things - movies, restaurants, shows, and so forth. That money still stayed in the economy. Franchises can be good for cities and areas. But shy should taxpayers from, say, Mankato or St. Cloud or Stillwater underwrite the movement of spending from local movies/restaurants/etc. to Minneapolis or St. Paul (or wherever the stadium is located)? Further, a lot of money spent on sporting events immediately leaves the local economy. The bulk of it goes to owners (who often live in another state) and players (who frequently live in another state) and who both tend to invest the bulk of their earnings in ventures spread out across the globe. This is not the case when that money is instead spent in a locally-owned pizzeria, for example. Any two Costco stores generate more annual revenue that the average Big Four franchise. Who thinks it's a good idea to give Costco $1 billion to build stores on town? No one, that's who. Because it isn't. Nor does it make any sense to underwrite building where franchises can play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul