Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 PM

43 posts, read 40,390 times

Advertisements

Interesting, I’m leaving for the very reason I read about on this forum two years ago before I came here! I like Minnesota, but I don’t care so much for Minnesotans. I know, I hear you getting defensive. But, the truth is they’re as passive aggressive as this forum warned. This might be a challenge in your social life, but it’s a killer — and I mean will ruin your career kind of “killer” in the work place. Minnesotans are “nice” but it’s shallow and only to your face. They’re nasty, gossipy, want to take credit for the work of others, and quite honestly they’re so insecure that you can’t work with them on any project.

But again, I read this before I came her. On a shallow level, they’re courteous and polite. But, they’ll cut your throat in a New York minute. Glad to be leaving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_4_Seasons View Post
But, the truth is they’re as passive aggressive as this forum warned. This might be a challenge in your social life, but it’s a killer — and I mean will ruin your career kind of “killer” in the work place. Minnesotans are “nice” but it’s shallow and only to your face. They’re nasty, gossipy, want to take credit for the work of others, and quite honestly they’re so insecure that you can’t work with them on any project.
Then why does Minnesota have one of the highest per capita GDPs and per capita income in the country, not to mention an envious collection of 20 odd Fortune 500 companies? Why does our economy continue to excel in such a horrific business environment of backstabbers, cheaters, and passive aggression?

Old 07-31-2019, 06:18 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times
...because there will always be people willing to put up with it. And the nature of passive-aggressive behavior kinda ensures its own success. If overtly aggressive work environments can be successful despite dysfunction, surely an environment where people aren't openly hostile can. This person describes it really well: ww.issendai.com/psychology/sick-systems.html

Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 AM

413 posts, read 323,386 times
Quote:
Interesting, I’m leaving for the very reason I read about on this forum two years ago before I came here! I like Minnesota, but I don’t care so much for Minnesotans. I know, I hear you getting defensive. But, the truth is they’re as passive aggressive as this forum warned. This might be a challenge in your social life, but it’s a killer — and I mean will ruin your career kind of “killer” in the work place. Minnesotans are “nice” but it’s shallow and only to your face. They’re nasty, gossipy, want to take credit for the work of others, and quite honestly they’re so insecure that you can’t work with them on any project.

But again, I read this before I came her. On a shallow level, they’re courteous and polite. But, they’ll cut your throat in a New York minute. Glad to be leaving!
You sound like a real pleasure to work with yourself. Peace out.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:38 AM

490 posts, read 623,773 times
Quote:

I will come to your defense and say that my wife experienced this at work. Quite a few were nice in person but would run you down to others and stab you in the back. This of course can happen anywhere but workplace politics were worse here than in other places we have lived to a noticeable degree. It's not why we left and we also met many wonderful people in MN but I can see your point.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:00 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
If you lived in St. Paul/ Minneapolis area, and you moved away.... what was the root reason of you leaving the area? Cost of Living? Weather? Crime? Politics? Education Quality? Lack of ... What?

Or why? Why did you move away?
I was recently on the back side of it, looking the other way (back at Minnesota as a landing spot after leaving)

When I left, I didnt care about politics, weather in Mpls was what I was used to, didnt care about college at that point, and COL was what it was.

On my own since age 17. Born and raised there.

Followed a girl and a decent job to Phoenix in 1983 at age 22. The thing with the girl didnt work out, so after a brief interim stay in Colorado Springs, returned to Mpls in 1986, got a good job building boats at that point.

But after seeing seeing some other parts of the USA, realized Minnesota was booooring, especially with the long winters and seasonal insects.

Joined the Navy in 1987 to see some more of the world (yes, recruiting ads/posters sucked me in).

Liking the traveling life, joined the Foreign Service after retiring from the Navy in 2007 (and a short stint in Civil Service in Wash DC) . Raised kids overseas, been to so many countries I have lost count. Came back to visit family in Minnesota every 2-3 years in the interim. Always surprised by the changes in the twin cities (not positive).

32 years later, looking at final retirement , took a peek at Minnesota again for a landing spot for a part year summer home further up north, (Mille Lacs)

Minnesota's hyper aggressive tax structure waved me off. Nope.

Watching the changes in the twin cities, and the political stance of that area completely turned me off.

Currently home shopping in northern Arizona.

I will never live in Minnesota again. Maybe pass through in an RV when the weather is nice, but that is it.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:48 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
It was a winter where it never got above freezing for almost 100 consecutive days of waiting for the bus in a snowmobile suit, icicles hanging from my beard. I took a job in the desert of Eastern Washington. Winters were not nearly as cold and much, much, shorter. I left because the summer highs were in the 100-105 deg. range. I moved to Colorado.

This was long ago. I imagine winters in the Twin Cities are not as long, or cold, these days, while Summer temperatures in the Tri-Cities of WA are much higher than when I left. The same for Colorado.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:52 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It was a winter where it never got above freezing for almost 100 consecutive days of waiting for the bus in a snowmobile suit, icicles hanging from my beard. I took a job in the desert of Eastern Washington. Winters were not nearly as cold and much, much, shorter. I left because the summer highs were in the 100-105 deg. range. I moved to Colorado.

This was long ago. I imagine winters in the Twin Cities are not as long, or cold, these days, while Summer temperatures in the Tri-Cities of WA are much higher than when I left. The same for Colorado.
Regarding winters here in the Twin Cities, there is still plenty of snow and cold for everyone. Last winter was very cold and very long.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:34 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Having left the Twin Cities, with most of our close family and friends there (built up over 20+ years), it's a wonderful place to visit. It allows us to avoid the full length of the cold, enjoy parts of the summer, and also the novelty of the winter which can be fun in weekly buckets. And since our visits are filled with our close friends and family, we avoid the need to try and develop new relationships. In this way, it's a really good 2nd home base.

To the OP, as a home grown company, Target HQ culture is very much the way you describe. It's all about not "offending", "including," posturing, and all in all just fluffy stuff. The obvious irony in that trying to promote "inclusiveness," they are actually excluding any values but their own.

When I worked there, I was literally told that I wasn't having enough "get to know you's" and "coffee statuses", and that I wasn't "targetized" enough. No joke. When I asked what they meant by "targetized," they actually couldn't articulate it to me? I once publicly nominated a peer for their good work (a good thing!), however I was "talked to" later behind closed doors because I didn't include Jan in my praise, she also worked on a part of the project, and she may be offended. I almost lost my mind!!! Felt like I was on another planet.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:27 PM

559 posts, read 1,323,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Having left the Twin Cities, with most of our close family and friends there (built up over 20+ years), it's a wonderful place to visit. It allows us to avoid the full length of the cold, enjoy parts of the summer, and also the novelty of the winter which can be fun in weekly buckets. And since our visits are filled with our close friends and family, we avoid the need to try and develop new relationships. In this way, it's a really good 2nd home base.

To the OP, as a home grown company, Target HQ culture is very much the way you describe. It's all about not "offending", "including," posturing, and all in all just fluffy stuff. The obvious irony in that trying to promote "inclusiveness," they are actually excluding any values but their own.

When I worked there, I was literally told that I wasn't having enough "get to know you's" and "coffee statuses", and that I wasn't "targetized" enough. No joke. When I asked what they meant by "targetized," they actually couldn't articulate it to me? I once publicly nominated a peer for their good work (a good thing!), however I was "talked to" later behind closed doors because I didn't include Jan in my praise, she also worked on a part of the project, and she may be offended. I almost lost my mind!!! Felt like I was on another planet.
Target has changed, for the better, since the current CEO took the helm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul