Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:28 PM

505 posts, read 585,544 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering relocating to Minneapolis. I've heard it's very liberal. Currently we're residents of Las Vegas. My mom, 67, retired, is Republican. I'm middle of the road, Libertarian. I agree with issues on both sides and don't veer too far off in either direction - sometimes slightly to the right.

Personal experiences in liberal places such as San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Denver have included violent homeless, crime, ridiculous government involvement and taxation supporting illegal immigrants.

Here in Las Vegas at Bottiglia at Green Valley Ranch they've turned a multi stall bathroom into a gender neutral bathroom. I'm a female and was mortified to see my date walk into the same bathroom and see me reapplying my lipstick! THIS IS HORRIBLE! But it also doesn't mean I dislike gay people or the gender challenged. Let whomever identifies as male/female USE THAT BATHROOM! Does Minneapolis veer this far left with gender neutral bathroom nonsense?

I'm looking to move somewhere normal and improve my quality of life, but if it's anything like CA, no thanks. I do love that Minneapolis has a strict no smoking ban including e-ciggs in public parks - this is a liberal enforced law that I RESPECT. (See I like solutions from both camps.)

What say you? What's the homeless situation like? Taxes? Thanks.

Last edited by WildSpark; 01-21-2019 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 01:52 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,039,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
My family and I are considering relocating to Minneapolis. I've heard it's very liberal. Currently we're residents of Las Vegas. My mom, 67, retired, is Republican. I'm middle of the road, Libertarian. I agree with issues on both sides and don't veer too far off in either direction - sometimes slightly to the right.

Personal experiences in liberal places such as San Diego, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Denver have included violent homeless, crime, ridiculous government involvement and taxation supporting illegal immigrants.

Here in Las Vegas at Bottiglia at Green Valley Ranch they've turned a multi stall bathroom into a gender neutral bathroom. I'm a female and was mortified to see my date walk into the same bathroom and see me reapplying my lipstick! THIS IS HORRIBLE! But it also doesn't mean I dislike gay people or the gender challenged. Let whomever identifies as male/female USE THAT BATHROOM! Does Minneapolis veer this far left with gender neutral bathroom nonsense?

I'm looking to move somewhere normal and improve my quality of life, but if it's anything like CA, no thanks. I do love that Minneapolis has a strict no smoking ban including e-ciggs in public parks - this is a liberal enforced law that I RESPECT. (See I like solutions from both camps.)

What say you? What's the homeless situation like? Taxes? Thanks.
If the political situation is unsuitable for you in the other places you listed, I wouldn't think Minneapolis would suit you well. It is appreciably liberal.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,395,681 times
It’s liberal here sure but I’ve not heard it being over-the -top to point of deterring people from living here. The climate on the hand...as I’m typing this message it is 10 degrees outside.

So if you get a good job here and can handle the long cold winters, then go for it. If you’re content with Nevada/California warmth...then Minneapolis is a hard pass.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:13 PM

505 posts, read 585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It’s liberal here sure but I’ve not heard it being over-the -top to point of deterring people from living here. The climate on the hand...as I’m typing this message it is 10 degrees outside.

So if you get a good job here and can handle the long cold winters, then go for it. If you’re content with Nevada/California warmth...then Minneapolis is a hard pass.
Thank you for the helpful comment. That's good to hear that it's not over-the-top like San Fran where the mayor allows people to defecate in the streets and does nothing to stop it.

Nope, we're all sick of burning to death with the desert heat. Comparing MN to IL. Surprised to read MN has a higher income tax than IL!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:26 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,039,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
Thank you for the helpful comment. That's good to hear that it's not over-the-top like San Fran where the mayor allows people to defecate in the streets and does nothing to stop it.

Nope, we're all sick of burning to death with the desert heat. Comparing MN to IL. Surprised to read MN has a higher income tax than IL!
MN has higher income taxes in contrast to moderate property taxes. While Minneapolis may be a bit higher than other parts of the state, most of the state is reasonable. I think my effective property tax percentage in Duluth as a value of market value of my house is ~1.2% with homestead status. For those in the higher tax ranges with a moderate income, the state refunds some money. IL property taxes are insultingly high.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 PM

225 posts, read 212,142 times
It's not nearly as liberal as it's said to be. I'd describe it as moderate liberal. There are homeless here. We had a whole thread on that recently, just scroll down the main subforum to read it. Taxes are a lot less than CA.

As far as the no smoking, you will find smoking outdoors. And in certain areas there may be more smoking than you are used to.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,108,340 times
very, very liberal

Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM

79 posts, read 224,411 times
Homelessness is not a “liberal” problem. It tends to be a problem of big cities, and big cities tend to lean liberal. But Correlation is not causation.

That being said, I hear MSP has a homeless problem.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:06 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,741,518 times
This is how liberal Minneapolis is.... They elected this clown!!!

https://ijr.com/omar-claims-she-had-...n-compromised/

Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,716,343 times
Minneapolis, especially the city proper, is very liberal. I've never seen the homeless be agressive like I personally experienced on the west coast.

But you will see the gender neutral stuff in Minneapolis (I've seen this at the sassy spoon restaurant as one example).

If you want another example, take a look at Target Corp, a locally HQ company that leads by liberal example. Look up targets gender neutrality policies, which include a past bathroom scandal, as well as a push to do away with both boys and girls toys in favor of just "toys".

Every city has it's pockets of each side. But having moved to a conservative city recently, I'm able to look back and see how stark the differences are. I never felt out of place as a progressive conservative myself, but the default in the workplace and in the city itself definitely felt liberal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul