Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,576 times

Advertisements

There is something more than just liberalism that is hard to put into words. It is something like being out of normal human experiences. Being stabbed in the back by would be friends is almost considered a normal part of life. Nothing unusual and shouldn't be taken as as being abnormal.
A point that might reflect something about the character of the place: Minnesota sports fans are only loyal when their team is winning. When they are losing no one gives a s##t for the team. Compare that to the Chicago Cubs--win or lose the fans are tight with the team.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:57 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
There is something more than just liberalism that is hard to put into words. It is something like being out of normal human experiences. Being stabbed in the back by would be friends is almost considered a normal part of life. Nothing unusual and shouldn't be taken as as being abnormal.
A point that might reflect something about the character of the place: Minnesota sports fans are only loyal when their team is winning. When they are losing no one gives a s##t for the team. Compare that to the Chicago Cubs--win or lose the fans are tight with the team.
What about the other half of Chicago, the White Sox?

Old 01-30-2019, 12:35 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What about the other half of Chicago, the White Sox?
LOL, the Cub fans are who the rest of baseball purists scoff at for their lack of awareness

Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM

542 posts, read 448,202 times
Quote:
I hope the axe you're grinding has some metal left when you are done with your fact free rant.

Maybe you just aren't very good at selecting friends or maybe if you are spewing this nonsense, minnesotians are less likely to either treat you kindly or be friends with you to begin with. Hard to say, but if any of this bile is leaking out, don't expect to be attracting high quality individuals.

The White Sox had lower attendence than the twins last year despite existing in a 10 million area metro. The area has two teams so saying they have a 5 million area draw would be fairer to state. If you compare that to the 3.6 million draw of the Minneapolis metro, you would have to say, based on last year, that Minnesota fans are more loyal. But that is simplistic reasoning when there are complex reasons possibly at play.

I don't think you have even a superficial understanding of both political or economic theory so a discussion would be pointless.

The only thing I came away from your post is you experienced an unfortunate personal event that is causing you to blame the region rather than take personal responsibility.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:55 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
I hope the axe you're grinding has some metal left when you are done with your fact free rant.

Maybe you just aren't very good at selecting friends or maybe if you are spewing this nonsense, minnesotians are less likely to either treat you kindly or be friends with you to begin with. Hard to say, but if any of this bile is leaking out, don't expect to be attracting high quality individuals.

The White Sox had lower attendence than the twins last year despite existing in a 10 million area metro. The area has two teams so saying they have a 5 million area draw would be fairer to state. If you compare that to the 3.6 million draw of the Minneapolis metro, you would have to say, based on last year, that Minnesota fans are more loyal. But that is simplistic reasoning when there are complex reasons possibly at play.

I don't think you have even a superficial understanding of both political or economic theory so a discussion would be pointless.

The only thing I came away from your post is you experienced an unfortunate personal event that is causing you to blame the region rather than take personal responsibility.
You don't know mpls

Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 PM

79 posts, read 224,041 times
Quote:
There is an emptiness to the city. A blank of some sort that leaves a person without a definite grounding..
As someone who has felt this way on many occasions in many places, I finally realized it was ME and got some therapy to deal with my issues. There are plenty of people who are happy and thriving in all sorts of places. I hope you will consider seeking out some counseling because your comments sound like you are very depressed.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:29 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Yes? And?

I like Pink Floyd, but I don't have any of the crappy music they produced after Roger Waters left the band. I like California, but I never visit Barstow or Stockton. I like General Mills, but if they put out a crappy flavor of cereal, I'm not buying it. I'd have to be delusional to say "But they're a Minnesota company! I must be loyal, so I'm going to purchase this 5-lb box of Spicy Shrimp Cheerios!". Buy, hey, kudos to those business owners who can delude a customer base into buying sub-par crap out of some misguided sense of 'loyalty'. And that's exactly what sports teams do. They tap into vapid tribalism and people stand up and say "Yes! I must prove my worth as a Minnesotan by paying a lot of money to see a team lose and miss the playoffs!". I can only pity such people, and I certainly do not lament that we might have fewer of them than some other places.

As an aside, Minnesota is a football town. You cherry-picked the one Chicago team (out of five) that has the most avid following. Which was, shall we say, rather convenient of you - before this last (winning) season, no-shows at Bears games were becoming a problem.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...201-story.html

So while I'd have no issue (see above) if your general assertion was true, it isn't as simple as you make it out to be. The Vikings have quite the following, despite having more or less perfected the art of losing the NFC Championship Game in spectacular fashion.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:53 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Minneapolis is a try hard liberal city which is almost worse than a truly liberal city. Their desperation to be like New York and San Francisco makes them borderline traitorous and dangerous. They don’t seem to care much about the constitution or the rights of long time residents. They care about their ideology above all.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:00 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Minneapolis is a try hard liberal city which is almost worse than a truly liberal city. Their desperation to be like New York and San Francisco makes them borderline traitorous and dangerous. They don’t seem to care much about the constitution or the rights of long time residents. They care about their ideology above all.
Please explain.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:36 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
Whenever I see hyperbolic posts like the ones in this thread I never see them come back and actually defend their position.

How is Minneapolis traitorous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul