Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 01:26 PM

871 posts, read 1,089,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellewils0m View Post
Where would be the best place for shops/restaurants with an unlimited budget?

Not sure I understand your question...perhaps because "unlimited budget" is such a foreign concept to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 04:35 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellewils0m View Post
Where would be the best place for shops/restaurants with an unlimited budget?
Probably the Country Club neighborhood in Edina, Linden Hills in Minneapolis, or Wayzata. On the St. Paul side, maybe Crocus Hill.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 PM

225 posts, read 211,676 times
Hello again!

I have a few interviews in Minneapolis coming up in the next few weeks (for me the Minneapolis job market has proven to be far better than Atlanta's). One company in particular seems very interested so I have scheduled my first visit to Minneapolis around my interviews.

I've decided to stay in the city limits of Minneapolis and now I'm closing looking at possible areas to move. Since you all have been so helpful before I wanted to ask which areas you'd suggest for me. I'm partial to Uptown right now. Dinkytown looks nice but I wonder if it may be too "busy" for me. I've seen some giid places in Como, Loring Park, Downtown East, Prospsct Park.

Some things I look for in a neighborhood: fairly quiet, everyday necessities close by, safe, mostly working professionals or older students, regular local events. I'd like a friendly neighborhood but not one where I might feel pressured to be buddy buddy with everyone nearby.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:59 PM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Probably the Country Club neighborhood in Edina, Linden Hills in Minneapolis, or Wayzata. On the St. Paul side, maybe Crocus Hill.
I randomly found this area working last winter. Wow, it seemed like movie, fairytale, perfect neighborhood! Beautiful homes.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:23 PM

369 posts, read 633,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Hello again!

I have a few interviews in Minneapolis coming up in the next few weeks (for me the Minneapolis job market has proven to be far better than Atlanta's). One company in particular seems very interested so I have scheduled my first visit to Minneapolis around my interviews.

I've decided to stay in the city limits of Minneapolis and now I'm closing looking at possible areas to move. Since you all have been so helpful before I wanted to ask which areas you'd suggest for me. I'm partial to Uptown right now. Dinkytown looks nice but I wonder if it may be too "busy" for me. I've seen some giid places in Como, Loring Park, Downtown East, Prospsct Park.

Some things I look for in a neighborhood: fairly quiet, everyday necessities close by, safe, mostly working professionals or older students, regular local events. I'd like a friendly neighborhood but not one where I might feel pressured to be buddy buddy with everyone nearby.

Dinkytown isn't any busier than Uptown, but Dinkytown is the University's neighborhood and pretty much only college students live there. Not really a working professionals neighborhood.

Minnesota is not a "buddy buddy" kind of place. FWIW, you will not have that experience. (And if you do, it's an outlier experience).

I'm an early 30-somethings wife and mom and live in Northeast, which we love and is perfect for us. It kind of feels like the "up and coming" Uptown (well, parts of it). Uptown, Loring Park, North Loop / Warehouse District and Northeast are all places I would move to as someone who is new in town (and I was, moved here from NYC 4 years ago) with everything close by. Loring Park and Northeast will probably be quieter. Northeast is heavily residential (more houses and multi-family homes than apartment buildings, although more are being built). Loring Park also has a lot of condos and apartments, but not quite as heavily commercial as Uptown and North Loop.

But it also depends on where you'll be working and method of transportation you'll be utilizing.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:22 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,848 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I'm a woman considering a move to Minneapolis/St. Paul from Atlanta before the end of the year. If all works out I will visit the area this summer but would like views on how well I might fit into the culture as well as the opportunities there. As far as demographics, as mentioned I am single, not far from 30, black (second generation), college educated and applying for a doctoral program this summer.

I've read many threads on this sub-forum and have found them very helpful so far but would like to dig more deeply into a few areas.

1. Job opportunities - How is the job market for a woman with a BS in social science/physical science?

I have found Atlanta to be amazingly lacking in this area or perhaps overly competitive. I am underemployed and wholly unsatisfied with my job.

2. Dating - What are the opportunities for a woman with my background?

I'm single but would like to settle down soon. I like men of all types and I'm more interested in attributes like commitment, kindness, openness. I have dated interracially and interculturally (mostly Swedish) so I would like to know what the scene is like for women similar to me.

3. Social scene - How difficult would it be to find a solid social network?

After five years in Atlanta I have only a few friends, all fellow transplants. Despite being touted as one of the places to be for a black person, I've experienced it as fairly closed and even hostile to people who don't fit into one of their few ideas of what a black person should be like. I have been called "weird" on several occasions, in a dismissive way, and I'd never been thought this where I'm from.

Things I'm okay with that others may find difficult with re: the Twin Cities are weather (I'm originally from New England and prefer cold to heat), homogeneity (Again, I'm from New England, and an area where most people are white. If anything the amount of black people in Atlanta shocked me), a smaller, reserved city (I'm fairly introverted so I am beginning to find the amount of people + visitors in Atlanta to be exhausting. I'm also still not fond of the overly fake friendly/social behavior that pervades Atlanta).

4. Surrounding areas - I'm particularly interested in how well cities like Chaska, Edina, might fit.

Anyway, all responses welcome. I think the Minneapolis/St. Paul areas sound lovely but I'm trying to get a better feel for it.

it all depends on your mindset.

Economy- one of the best. I do believe you should find a job with no problem. I always hear about people in Atlanta complaining about not being able to find a job.

Dating- depends on what you're looking for. To me, this is a get married and have a family state. There's no black middle class here either. There are some black professionals but they are more spread out. A lot of blacks here are either poor or from another country (Nigeria, Africa, etc). you also have a lot of somalians here. A lot of people come here from Chicago because it's easier to get assistance here. There are some black professionals here but you have to really go out and find them.

Now if you just want to date interracially that's a different story. I usually just see black men dating white women. I dont see the reverse of that too much here. But I'm sure it exists

I'm black and I live in Edina. Great city, walkable for me. Haven't encountered any racism. My neighborhood though is mostly older white people. The main thing is that if you can get used to being the only black. then you're fine. there's so many times I walk into Target or Cub and just hate it because It feels like I'm outnumbered. I mean you might see 2-3 blacks and thats it. If you want to be around more black people, then I would do Minneapolis, St paul or brooklyn park/brooklyn center. one of my co workers came here from Dc and she said she had to move to brooklyn center because there are more blacks

Old 07-09-2018, 11:36 AM

i can tell you know that coming from Atlanta where you see black people advancing and doing well. some may not do so well. But you see a lot of African Americans. When you come here, it's totally different. you're not gonna have the black owned restaurants and black owned businesses here. there's not a lot of black culture here either. But there's a lot of positives here too. No car inspections, quality of life is amazing. clean air, great bike paths, best park system in the United States. Your health will just be amazing. Just take advantage of the resources given to you.

AS far as social scene, it's all about your personality. A lot of people here that are new have trouble making friends. I can tell u know that living in Edina won't help. Think about it, you go to work for 8 hours, come home to say Edina or Chaska. you don't have time to network.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
A question for all...When is a better time to visit, July or August? Or no difference?

August for the state fair

Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
I definitely think you will enjoy it here. I moved here last year in the summer and it's my favourite place ever. I recommend you live in Minneapolis or St. Paul. I live in St. Paul and there's plenty of diversity here. I myself am a white Cuban American and I am surprised by how many Cubans I have met lol.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:59 PM

512 posts, read 474,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
They don't know what to do with black professionals who don't fit their stereotypical view of what a black person should be. Here's an article that gives more info:

Twin Cities businesses ask why professionals of color leave | Star Tribune

I'd advise you to target cities with well-established African-American communities. Moving to the Twin Cities as a professional black person is taking on the role of a pioneer. If that's something you're okay with...have at it!

I concur with this post. I love the Twin Cities, but it has a lot of racial disparities that its leadership refuses to tackle. The Twin Cities are simply progressive on paper, but not in practice. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but hey; Milwaukee is an even worst place for AA professionals, so the TCs could be worse. Nonetheless, I think the OP would feel comfortable in many areas of the TCs.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 07-09-2018 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul