Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Non-threatening...interesting choice of word. Lol. I suppose so. Some people find my reserved nature to be off-putting or "rude". I don't think I'd have that issue in MN. Being from the NE, I'm also blunt and straightforward, which can surprise less direct people. It's more toned down now than it was but I still won't say "maybe" when I mean "no", for example.
Just FYI, Minnesotans are generally the opposite of direct, and are often seriously put off/offended by very direct communication. Minnesotans also have a tendency to avoid any sort of confrontation at all costs. You should really Google 'MN Nice' to understand better the way people interact in MN. It isn't like the Northeast AT ALL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Just FYI, Minnesotans are generally the opposite of direct, and are often seriously put off/offended by very direct communication. Minnesotans also have a tendency to avoid any sort of confrontation at all costs. You should really Google 'MN Nice' to understand better the way people interact in MN. It isn't like the Northeast AT ALL!

we tend to chew up and spit out weak-minded individuals, it's who we are

Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 PM

340 posts, read 608,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
we tend to chew up and spit out weak-minded individuals, it's who we are
Are you trying to be funny?? I am just trying to make the OP aware of the fact that communication styles in MN and the Northeast are totally different. Do have a problem with that or something?? (Btw, I grew up in MN.)

Old 06-05-2018, 07:14 AM

8 posts, read 5,644 times
MN Nice does exist but in my experience people make a much bigger deal of it than it is. If you have anything approaching passable social skills you'll be fine. I'm a pretty direct NY'er and I'm pretty sure I don't seriously offend the locals. Mostly they just look a bit surprised. You'll either like the vibe here or you won't. Always a risk when you relocate.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2FL View Post
MN Nice does exist but in my experience people make a much bigger deal of it than it is. If you have anything approaching passable social skills you'll be fine. I'm a pretty direct NY'er and I'm pretty sure I don't seriously offend the locals. Mostly they just look a bit surprised. You'll either like the vibe here or you won't. Always a risk when you relocate.
I'm a 5th generation New Yorker and I'm SUPER direct-- I , too, think MN Nice is a bit overstated (but, yes, it does exist), I've had no problems making friends with both natives and transplants alike.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:58 AM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
I'm a 5th generation New Yorker and I'm SUPER direct-- I , too, think MN Nice is a bit overstated (but, yes, it does exist), I've had no problems making friends with both natives and transplants alike.
I agree. I actually think a lot of Minnesotans LIKE directness and find it refreshing (I know I do!).

Old 06-05-2018, 10:12 AM

413 posts, read 323,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
I agree. I actually think a lot of Minnesotans LIKE directness and find it refreshing (I know I do!).

+1. Bottom line, it's a mistake to generalize when you're speaking about a metro area approaching 4 million people. You'll find people of all types. I'm a 3rd generation Minnesotan (second generation American) and I'm pretty direct in most instances. In spite of what I'm sure is my Minnesotan accent, I've been asked at time if I'm from the East Coast. Like any big city, you'll find all types.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:03 PM

225 posts, read 211,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Oh, I've read and heard a lot about "Minnesota Nice". I'm pretty sure I've experienced it as well, with my friend who is originally from the Midwest. His paternal side is Swedish, from Minnesota.

I'm direct but not aggressively so; back home I was considered "nice". I just think it is good to keep communication open as everyone is in the know that way and issues are more readily resolved. Yet I am from New England and I guess you can generalize us as being more reserved than others in the Northeast. I haven't scared my Midwestern friend off after a decade+, so we'll see when I visit!

Old 06-05-2018, 04:21 PM

225 posts, read 211,296 times
Quote:
MN Nice does exist but in my experience people make a much bigger deal of it than it is. If you have anything approaching passable social skills you'll be fine.
This is good to know. I think I might have some social skills...maybe.

Quote:
You'll either like the vibe here or you won't. Always a risk when you relocate.
True, true. This is why I plan to visit and spend a long while checking out the area and people. If I had visited Atlanta I would have known moving here was a mistake.

Quote:
I thought there was something off (read: good) about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Yes, I like that there are Minnesotans who think this way. Btw, I saw your posts around this subforum when I was lurking. You seem very knowledgeable about the social dynamics of the area.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:21 PM

32 posts, read 28,650 times
Quote:
My husband and I are having that same conversation (about what to do post-kids)-- he wants to move to a cabin on a lake somewhere, but I'm *definitely* pushing for a small house somewhere in the Cities were we can walk to shops and restaurants-- our youngest is only 10, so we have at least another 8ish years before we could even consider the next chapter, so we have plenty of time to figure that out!
Where would be the best place for shops/restaurants with an unlimited budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul