Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 04:33 PM

225 posts, read 211,885 times

Advertisements

treemoni,

I did regularly interact with black people in school except that prior to college, we were mixed in with everyone else; we were just kids, not black kids. In college, yes, I began to realize that being black meant that my experience would be different from non-blacks. So I'm aware of what being black means in American society, in general.

On to conformity. I'm not much of a conformist and I tend to do my own thing. I will make adjustments to ensure that people feel more comfortable in my presence but I'm still going to be pretty much myself.

Non-threatening...interesting choice of word. Lol. I suppose so. Some people find my reserved nature to be off-putting or "rude". I don't think I'd have that issue in MN. Being from the NE, I'm also blunt and straightforward, which can surprise less direct people. It's more toned down now than it was but I still won't say "maybe" when I mean "no", for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,361,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
@mingna

Thank you for the detailed reply! I was hoping the suburbs weren't drastically different in case I found a job, partner, etc there.
Probably depends on the suburb. Edina less so, due to its proximity as a first-ring suburb, with many urban-ish features. Chaska will probably be more stereotypically suburban.

Btw, how are your hockey skills?

Last edited by toosie; 05-31-2018 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Deleted quoted post and orphaned response

Old 05-31-2018, 04:55 PM

79 posts, read 85,890 times
Hi LeTraveler,

For your bullet points 2-4, I think that the dating and social scene go almost hand-in-hand. That is, you'll find an abundance of people your age if you live directly in (or very close to) the Minneapolis area. While Chaska has decent schools, it tends to be a family destination, rather than a place that I would recommend for someone without children. It's also rather outer-ring; if you're truly looking for an outer-ring family style residence with great things to do I'd recommend checking out Stillwater (20.1 miles from downtown Minneapolis, as opposed to 20 miles from Chaska). Stillwater has a beautiful boardwalk along the water, and it has that "small town" feel, while catering to some mid-to-high-end Single Family Homes.

Edina is great, and it's attached to the south side of Minneapolis, which makes it easy to get into the downtown area for entertainment. If you chose to live in or near Minneapolis, you'll find the social scene to be overflowing. If you're into the outdoors, we have one of the best park systems in the nation. If you're a foodie, we have lots of restaurants to choose from. If you're into the arts, we have several venues for you to explore. I could go on, but you get the idea. On any given Thursday - Saturday, you'll find thousands of people out and about in the downtown/uptown/northeast areas - especially during the summer.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-31-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Btw, how are your hockey skills?
Ha.

You know, it's funny because last night I was talking to a friend about moving to Minneapolis and my trip there. He has family in Minneapolis and the first question he asked was the same question you're asking now. I thought it was just a joke then but now I'm not so sure! Lol. I honestly have never played hockey though I'd love to try.

This sparks another question: what sort of activities are popular among those my age? I know that in general people love to get outdoors. As for myself, I'm pretty flexible and I find that I pick up new hobbies depending on the area I'm in and my social sphere.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:04 PM

Hi ArcLyte, thank you. Stillwater is an area that I've recently found out about. It looks so beautiful!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:26 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,472,640 times
This topic sat for hours before I finally posted, then everyone all of a sudden had advice to give, and it started getting so much more attention. My little social experiment worked. Glad you're finally getting feedback, OP.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:07 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,361,496 times
Quote:
Ha.

You know, it's funny because last night I was talking to a friend about moving to Minneapolis and my trip there. He has family in Minneapolis and the first question he asked was the same question you're asking now. I thought it was just a joke then but now I'm not so sure! Lol. I honestly have never played hockey though I'd love to try.
That's funny.

Hockey..watching or playing, may help you meet more locals - of either sex.

Quote:
This sparks another question: what sort of activities are popular among those my age? I know that in general people love to get outdoors. As for myself, I'm pretty flexible and I find that I pick up new hobbies depending on the area I'm in and my social sphere.
Well, I'm a bit older, but I imagine it will be similar to when I was younger. In addition to all the winter-related sporting activities, MSP has a thriving music, art, and theatre scene.

Be aware that MN winters are generally longer and colder than in New England, so it's best to find a winter-related activity to make the most of that long season. If hockey is not your cup of tea, perhaps look into Nordic skiing clubs. The flat topography of the area lends itself well to this activity.

Summers activities will be more lake focused, such as boating, canoeing, camping, fishing, biking, and hiking.

There's a group for any interest, really.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Glad you're finally getting feedback, OP.
I guess someone had to break the ice.

Quote:
Hockey..watching or playing, may help you meet more locals - of either sex.
I am going to take that into serious consideration.

Quote:
Be aware that MN winters are generally longer and colder than in New England, so it's best to find a winter-related activity to make the most of that long season.
I think I'll love the winter activities as winter is my favorite season. From looking at weather history it doesn't seem winter lasts too much longer. Maybe a couple of weeks? It does get colder, however. I guess that is made up for by how much more quickly it heats up -- Minneapolis weather this month has been warmer than that of my hometown.

Quote:
There's a group for any interest, really.
I'm looking into various groups online now, thanks.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 PM

A question for all...When is a better time to visit, July or August? Or no difference?

Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,721,463 times
Come for the State Fair at the end of August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul