Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:16 AM

70 posts, read 101,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Please cite the post that states, "that this is going to lead to a negative impact on everything." Or did you overstate your opponents' argument? Also, please cite the post where a minimum wage opponent called wage increase supporters "stupid" as we were labeled by our friend Ghengis in post #20. No, the same does not go for those who oppose the comment.

We came to this forum with one basic argument: that the laws of economics show that when the price of something is increased, consumers will buy less of it. We came with a study by scholars from the University of Washington showing that in Seattle, recent increases had led to just this effect, and that low wage workers have been harmed by the increase.

Were we met with equally reasoned arguments by the liberal proponent of the increase? No. We were met with childish name calling and disdain, tactics that I wish I could say are below the members of this forum but cannot.

That is the only way that liberals know how to "argue".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:19 AM

122 posts, read 131,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Just passed 11 to 1 vote.

I do not agree with this at all.

It is going to shut down business'
Turn people jobs into computer jobs in the industry.

Because people do not understand the concept of starter jobs and working your way up.

I will no longer be tipping any job that is for tipping ie: waiter etc.

Tip jobs in this law, tips do not count as their wage.

Word is restaurants are now looking at opening business in St. Paul

Minneapolis City Council Passes $15 Minimum Wage Ordinance | KSTP.com
Maybe people will start cooking their own hamburgers and packing their lunch, sounds like a healthier alternative

Old 07-01-2017, 10:29 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minndavid60 View Post
That is the only way that liberals know how to "argue".
Read the thread. I'm not a liberal or a conservative, I don't get into politics.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:35 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times
Here I what a restaraunt owner of 30 years in Minneapolis said

With $15 wage in Minneapolis, say goodbye to full-service restaurants | Star Tribune

COMMENTARY

With $15 wage in Minneapolis, say goodbye to full-service restaurants

By CHARLES LODGE
June 01, 2017 - 6:50 PM

Do you enjoy sitting down in a comfortable booth at a full-service restaurant where a friendly server greets you, explains the menu, brings you a beverage, refills your water glass and delivers a delicious meal?

Do you enjoy being served after working hard all day? Do you enjoy it when, for under $20, you can relax, share time with friends and family, and let somebody else do all the work?

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with a $15 minimum wage with no tip credit for servers and bartenders, you’ll have to kiss this experience goodbye.

If the proposed Minneapolis minimum wage ordinance is approved, you will be left with two options: Chipotle or Oceanaire. You will either have to queue up in a cafeteria line or shell out $100 for a full-service restaurant experience.

But it doesn’t really matter what I say, or what any of my peers in the midrange restaurant community say. It appears the die has already been cast.

A Minnesota high school golfer wins our admiration
Our only options will be to retool to a cafeteria model or ride out our leases and say goodbye to the style of restaurant we so adore. It will also mean saying goodbye to all of the fantastic servers and bartenders we have had the pleasure of working with over the years.

Operating a restaurant in this niche is more difficult than any non-restaurateur could possibly know. The margins are razor thin, and they would be totally eclipsed by an additional $6 an hour for tipped employees — all of whom already make well above $15 an hour.

If you have never pored over your books and lain awake at night wondering how you are going to make payroll, then you don’t understand how this restaurant game works. We operators work our tails off with very little reward these days. Much of what profit we generate is used to reinvest in the business or pay down debt.

All I can say is, thank you, Minneapolis for the pleasure of serving you for these past 30 years, giving you full service without picking your pocket.

Charles Lodge is an owner of Ginger Hop Restaurant in Minneapolis.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:38 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Here I what a restaraunt owner of 30 years in Minneapolis said

With $15 wage in Minneapolis, say goodbye to full-service restaurants | Star Tribune

COMMENTARY

With $15 wage in Minneapolis, say goodbye to full-service restaurants

By CHARLES LODGE
June 01, 2017 - 6:50 PM

Do you enjoy sitting down in a comfortable booth at a full-service restaurant where a friendly server greets you, explains the menu, brings you a beverage, refills your water glass and delivers a delicious meal?

Do you enjoy being served after working hard all day? Do you enjoy it when, for under $20, you can relax, share time with friends and family, and let somebody else do all the work?

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with a $15 minimum wage with no tip credit for servers and bartenders, you’ll have to kiss this experience goodbye.

If the proposed Minneapolis minimum wage ordinance is approved, you will be left with two options: Chipotle or Oceanaire. You will either have to queue up in a cafeteria line or shell out $100 for a full-service restaurant experience.

But it doesn’t really matter what I say, or what any of my peers in the midrange restaurant community say. It appears the die has already been cast.

A Minnesota high school golfer wins our admiration
Our only options will be to retool to a cafeteria model or ride out our leases and say goodbye to the style of restaurant we so adore. It will also mean saying goodbye to all of the fantastic servers and bartenders we have had the pleasure of working with over the years.

Operating a restaurant in this niche is more difficult than any non-restaurateur could possibly know. The margins are razor thin, and they would be totally eclipsed by an additional $6 an hour for tipped employees — all of whom already make well above $15 an hour.

If you have never pored over your books and lain awake at night wondering how you are going to make payroll, then you don’t understand how this restaurant game works. We operators work our tails off with very little reward these days. Much of what profit we generate is used to reinvest in the business or pay down debt.

All I can say is, thank you, Minneapolis for the pleasure of serving you for these past 30 years, giving you full service without picking your pocket.

Charles Lodge is an owner of Ginger Hop Restaurant in Minneapolis.
Sounds like an angry restaurant owner that is upset he won't be able to keep underpaying his employees. Oh no!

Old 07-01-2017, 10:49 AM

79 posts, read 85,788 times
Okay, now I'm genuinely curious.

@PDF - What do you want the outcome of a $15/hour/minimum wage to be? What exactly are you expecting to happen in 2024, when this is fully ratified? From your perspective, I'd honestly like to know both the benefits that you're expecting as well as the negative implications that may occur as a result of this increase.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:14 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
Aren't companies just going to reduce hours and install more automation when possible?
Nope, in many instances they cant, and with people earning more, demand goes up and they need to hire more people.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:26 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
No one said it was the end of Minnesota. The point is that in Seattle, raising the minimum wage has had a negative impact on low wage workers and we fear the same thing will happen here. Just look at the unemployment rate among teenagers, especially black teens, and you can see the effect that the rising minimum wage has had on low skilled workers. That is the trend and yes, we see it quite clearly.

But the pro-increase crowd here is too busy making smarmy comments and mounting ad hominem attacks to see what is right in front of your faces.
In Seattle the unemployment rate is 2.6%...Must be incredibly difficult for people to get a job there to earn even more money than their high minimum wage provides.

Last edited by PCALMike; 07-01-2017 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 06:42 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
The muddled reasoning of the $15 an hour proponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Nope, in many instances they cant, and with people earning more, demand goes up and they need to hire more people.
This post implies many people are affected by the Minneapolis minimum wage increase, enough to have a significant impact on aggregate demand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
In Seattle the unemployment rate is 2.6%...Must be incredibly difficult for people to get a job there to earn even more money than their high minimum wage provides.
... while this post implies that few people are impacted because the low unemployment rate already drive wages above the minimum.

As we can see, either their grasp of economics is tenuous, or they will say whatever is necessary to achieve their objective, or both.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:53 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Sounds like an angry restaurant owner that is upset he won't be able to keep underpaying his employees. Oh no!
They have a point though. I think that excluding the tip credit was a very bad decision. Restaurants will have to increase food prices, and I certainly won't want to throw an additional 20% on top of the increased prices if the workers are already making $15/hr.

I really hope the increase helps low-income workers, but I'm skeptical that it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul