Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 06:45 PM

209 posts, read 169,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What isn't good about it? The minimum wage should already be at 15 dollars nationwide. The US is far behind the times. So that Minneapolis just passed this at a time when only much bigger/more expensive cities are doing it is a very good sign and could be positive for things to come in other cities. I don't agree with the tipping culture in America, but even if you disagree that minimum wage shouldn't be 15 bucks, there's no way you can say that what's it at now is fair. Minimum wage never rose for inflation and never accounted for cost of living increases over the past few decades. Prices will go up sure, and there's no denying that small businesses will be affected, but there is not going to be less jobs. And unlike what the opposers to a higher minimum wage would lead you to believe, I don't think it's going to make a drastic difference.

It's a good thing.
Sure it is.
I get paid $27/ and I handle hazmat in Boston.
If the McDonald's monkey is making $15, I need at least $54 an hr now.
Guess what that does to your energy prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,528,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
simple, if stupid people are against something than I'm for it
I know you are calling me stupid.
Every time you post something in response to me it is a put down.
HMMM...for a good 5 years now.

You are a very odd person.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The minimum wage historically is a tool designed to keep minorities & low income workers out of the workforce.

- In British Columbia it was implemented because White loggers were upset that Chinese immigrants were willing to work for close to nothing & they were losing their jobs to them. They pressured their elected officials, who passed the minimum wage law, making the wage of the White workers the new minimum wage. Did the Chinese workers all get pay raises? No, they were all fired & only the White workers were kept.

- In Australia the Chinese were taking White, union, railroad jobs. The union pressured their elected officials who passed the minimum wage, making the union wage the minimum wage. Did the Chinese workers get raises? No, they all got laid off & the White union workers kept their jobs.

- In Apartheid South Africa, the Boers passed the minimum wage to ensure Black Africans, willing to work for less than the White union, factory workers, would be frozen out of the workforce.

- In the USA, enterprising contractors headed South & hired crews of poor Blacks to head North to do construction in New York & Pennsylvania. The White, union construction workers had the minimum wage enacted in the Davis-Bacon Act of 1931 to keep the Blacks away from their jobs.

If we raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, all it does it ensure low skilled workers (mostly minorities & teenagers) will be laid off, or never hired to begin with. You can make the minimum wage $20, or $25 per hour & most of us will still be employed. It will only be the most vulnerable workers that suffer.
Your post says alot. It is a good post.
I will look into the scenarios you mentioned.

I don't know though. Here in Minneapolis and the metro things are shifting.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:07 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,798,350 times
RIP Minneapolis. This makes no sense at all. Anyone looking to take an entry level job to gain on the job experience for higher paying jobs in the future is now priced out of the labor market, anyone without an education or that has a disability is no longer employable, Cost of living will sky rocket, productivity will be hurt, people will lose their jobs. What might make sense in NYC or LA makes no sense in Minneapolis. Such a terrible decision.

Last edited by cttransplant85; 06-30-2017 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 07:22 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,157,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

he/she is hilarious.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:44 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,756,032 times
Quote:
Your post says alot. It is a good post.
I will look into the scenarios you mentioned.

I don't know though. Here in Minneapolis and the metro things are shifting.
On the historically racist motivations behind the minimum wage:
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom...ww.google.com/

Why racists love the minimum wage laws:
Why racists love the minimum wage laws | New York Post

Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
RIP Minneapolis. This makes no sense at all. Anyone looking to take an entry level job to gain on the job experience for higher paying jobs in the future is now priced out of the labor market, anyone without an education or that has a disability is no longer employable, Cost of living will sky rocket, productivity will be hurt, people will lose their jobs. What might make sense in NYC or LA makes no sense in Minneapolis. Such a terrible decision.
What would happen if we raised the minimum home price to 500k? Would everyone be better off since now everyone's homes cost at least $500k, or would huge swaths of the country be frozen out of home ownership?

Old 06-30-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
"Seattle’s minimum-wage law is boosting wages for a range of low-paid workers, but the law is causing those workers as a group to lose hours, and it’s also costing jobs, according to the latest study on the measure passed by the City Council in 2014.

"The report, by members of the University of Washington team studying the law’s impacts for the city of Seattle, is being published Monday as a working paper by a nonprofit think tank, the National Bureau of Economic Research."

Seattle Times: UW study on Seattle minimum wage
The notoriously liberal Washington Post has the opposite take

A 'Very Credible' new study on Seattle's $15 minimum wage has bad news for liberals:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.39e9f47766e7

Old 06-30-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
simple, if stupid people are against something than I'm for it
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
he/she is hilarious.

Yeah, well we know who the self centered crabby old farts are.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times
I'd prefer to see an expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit (both state and federal), but I'm happy for the workers of Minneapolis nonetheless.

To the naysayers, my understanding is that businesses have five to seven years to implement the new wage. I doubt it's going to kill them with that much time to adjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul