Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:06 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

I recall stopping at one near Anoka/Champlin in the mid 60's ( over 50 years ago)

I thought it was a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
A lot of Pizza Huts closed in Minnesota in 2014. Border Foods, who owns all the Taco Bells in Minnesota and I believe they hold the exclusive franchise rights for Taco Bell in Minnesota, used to own all the Pizza Huts and then a couple years ago they sold their Pizza Huts off to some company called Muy Foods out of Texas and thats when a lot of them closed (I think they were unable to sell them or defaulted on their lease or something, don't really know for sure)

When that happened a ton of them closed. Hutchinson (Has been replaced by a carryout only location), Redwood Falls, Buffalo, The 2 in St Cloud and one in Sauk Rapids (though they have since opened 2 new ones in St cloud/Waite Park and one is a bar style restaurant downtown by SCSU), Ely, Sauk Centre, Columbia Heights, Lakeville, Woodbury (A new one has since opened in Woodbury), 2 of the 3 Pizza Huts in Duluth, Little Falls, Superior WI, Two Harbors, Grand Rapids, Hibbing, Milaca, and more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Also last fall around September 2016 I believe the Pizza Hut in New Hope off Bass Lake Road closed, don't know why for sure, all it had was a sign on the door saying they were permanently closed and please visit our nearby locations in Brooklyn Center, Crystal and Osseo and at the bottom of the letter it said Muy Foods San Antonio, TX (the company that bought the Minnesota Pizza Huts from Border Foods)

Old 07-10-2017, 09:19 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
I saw the Pizza Hut in Lakeville reopened, trying to look a little more like a bar/restaurant. I actually went inside a Pizza Hut in Pine City MN for the first time in 10+ years. It was like a time warp, I was back in childhood.

All these restaurants are struggling to capture the new foodie generation (of which I am admittedly one of), who want healthier fare, less customer service interaction, and it ought to come in a bowl, lol. Calorie counts should also not be over 1,000 (I'm looking at you TGI Fridays, Outback, Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden, Red Lobster etc). The food should be homemade, as in not right off the Sysco truck. These guidelines have killed off or diminished many chains.

Without knowing, I can promise you Embers sausage links were right off the Sysco truck (as opposed to be homemade or purchased from a small local establishment). I personally wouldn't eat there this day in age.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I recall stopping at one near Anoka/Champlin in the mid 60's ( over 50 years ago)

I thought it was a great place.

The Embers I mentioned above bore no resemblance whatsoever to the last Embers I was in about 10 years ago on Hwy 7 in Clara City.

Like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo.

The last Embers were no different than any other truck stop café along a major highway.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 AM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
The Embers I mentioned above bore no resemblance whatsoever to the last Embers I was in about 10 years ago on Hwy 7 in Clara City.

Like comparing a Cadillac to a Yugo.

The last Embers were no different than any other truck stop café along a major highway.
Interestingly, I passed an Embers along a highway on my travels to Denver this past weekend. It was attached to a Clarion Hotel in Fort Morgan, CO.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Colorado.html

Old 07-10-2017, 10:15 AM

542 posts, read 447,474 times
Where did all the embers go?
And where are all the Gods?

I need a Gyro,
I'm holding out for a Gyro 'til the end of the night
It's gotta be good,
And it's gotta be fast,
And it's gotta be fresh from the block.

In the mid 90s at a Mankato Embers, I had a very tasty chicken ranch sandwich. I went back there again and the same sandwich was dreadful. I went back a 3rd time, same result, so never went there again. Maybe that is why they are nearly out of business.

Also, the last Happy Chef is located off 169 near the fringes of Mankato city limits. At one time, the Happy Chef Franchise had 3k employees and started by 3 brothers who are in there late 70s and early 80s now. I have driven by that Happy Chef many times throughout the years and remember it from my childhood. It used to have a cigarette machine where you put coins without having to have an ID. I read an article about the iconic spoon waving statues from closed stores have been bought and altered into various figures like an umpire and another one into a chimney sweep.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:17 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
All these restaurants are struggling to capture the new foodie generation (of which I am admittedly one of), who want healthier fare, less customer service interaction, and it ought to come in a bowl, lol. Calorie counts should also not be over 1,000 (I'm looking at you TGI Fridays, Outback, Cheesecake Factory, Olive Garden, Red Lobster etc). The food should be homemade, as in not right off the Sysco truck. These guidelines have killed off or diminished many chains.

Without knowing, I can promise you Embers sausage links were right off the Sysco truck (as opposed to be homemade or purchased from a small local establishment). I personally wouldn't eat there this day in age.
One thing people don't look at is theres so much more competition. So many smaller and regional chains have started becoming a thing and exploding. Go back 20 years, you live in the Twin Cities and want a burger where do you go? Think of yourself as a McDonalds franchise owner in the Twin Cities and a huge chunk of your competition that exists in 2017 simply didn't exist or just barely existed 20 years ago.

Culvers, for example, their first restaurant opened outside of Wisconsin in Buffalo, MN in September 1995, and now in 2017 they have over 600 restaurants in like 19 or something states. Theres regional restaurants with EXTREMELY similar stories to Culvers all over the USA.

Five Guys didn't start franchising until 2003, before 2003 they only had 5 locations in the Washington DC area. Come 2009 they had over 500 locations and over 1000 locations in 2012.

Thats just looking at burgers and thats just 2 of many, many examples.

A lot of these "up and coming" and trendy "fast casual" places have only been around the past decade or two, or have only started to expand and explode like Five Guys in the past 1 or 2 decades.

Chipotle, for example, only opened in 1993 in Denver, CO. They had over 500 locations in 2006 and in 2015 had over 2000 locations.

It's all a phase. It won't be long before a bunch of new up and coming trendy restaurant chains start taking over, and we'll be hearing about the death of all these currently popular, trendy "fast casual" places like Chipotle, Five Guys and Buffalo Wild Wings that millenials are just so in love with.

Heck, it looks like I spoke too late and it's already happening before our very own eyes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ees/ar-BBBUk1X

http://www.startribune.com/buffalo-w...ets/413095263/

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/31/buffa...ectations.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/mille...ve-guys-2015-3

https://consumerist.com/2017/02/03/c...omeback-thing/

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/02/inve...ngs/index.html

That was fast! Wasn't that long ago you couldn't go a day without being spammed with headlines about how Chipotle, Five Guys and Bdubs are America's fastest growing restaurants!

And then in another decade or so we'll be hearing about the death of the restaurants that are currently trendy and killing these current trendy restaurants, and so forth. The cycle will continue. And each newer and newer generation will continue to get more and more fickle.

(I kinda took a snarky direction with this post haha, im only 24 so please don't blame me for being a millenial hater and I love Bdubs, Chipotle and Five Guys! And Culvers!)

Last edited by Radical_Car; 07-10-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-15-2017, 08:41 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Quote:
Where did all the Embers go?

I don't know. But I wish all the Appleby's would go there, too.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:01 AM

695 posts, read 713,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
What I remember is the commercial jingle with the line... remember the Embers!

I probably haven't heard it in 30 years but for some reason that jingle is fresh in my mind. Weird, the odd little things that somehow we remember when we forget 99.9% of everything else we experience.

Now who remembers Poppin' Fresh?
Here ya go!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Embers Jingle.zip (225.1 KB, 31 views)

Old 07-18-2017, 08:40 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post

I don't know. But I wish all the Appleby's would go there, too.
The one by me in St Anthony closed up this year, maybe the former Ember's management ran it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul