Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 03:04 PM

55 posts, read 51,640 times

Advertisements

You must have mis-understood my post. I meant I would like to see a supermarket downtown or closer into the center of downtown like a smaller cub foods store. There is plenty of space and plenty of people living in downtown to patronize one if built. I heard in 2015 there was supposed to be a Trader Joe's being built close to the new stadium. Even that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:09 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlady16 View Post
Min-Chi-Cbus, I know there is not a city that does not have poor people/street people etc. Just stating MY opinion

You sound like someone who has a car and does not have to ride public transit.

I am going east.. Or outside of the US
Cool, enjoy. I do take public transit but since I moved back here in my new role there is no possible way to take a bus to my job (I tried every angle and it simply doesn't make sense), so I had to purchase a second family car so both my wife and I can drive to work (she's in sales and drives everywhere -- transit isn't an option in that capacity). Previous to this, I've taken transit to work for the past 6-7 years. That all being said, I certainly don't have to rely on public transit for everyday living, and I'd think that'd be a bit difficult here, even though in certain areas like Uptown/Downtown it could be possible.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:35 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,529,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I claim to have no business insight or knowlege about downtown Minneapolis.
Just over 50 years of watching and hearing and partaking in that area.
Three years ago stayed at Marriott in downtown. Heard gunshots in middle of night.
Will not go back unless things change.
Almost everyday on news shootings and attacks in Minneapolis.
No thanks.

It's a shame as it is with any city or place that gets over ran by crime and or gang bangin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursicinus View Post
So you stayed downtown once three years ago and heard gunshots, and are extrapolating that this is a daily occurrence?

Don't get me wrong... I'm not forgiving any ****head activity that occasionally happens in Minneapolis, like in any other city. But you make it sound like it's some kind of gangland hellscape, which it most decidedly is not. I've lived downtown for 3 years (like 5 blocks from that hotel), and can't think of the last time I heard gunshots, nor even felt unsafe anywhere. Mildly annoyed, sure; there's always going to be that when you get this many humans in one spot.

Of course, once you get into North Minneapolis you get more sustained ****headery, but downtown it's just not as common as you make it sound.

Downtown Minneapolis Business Leaders 'Fed Up and Angry' After Shooting | KSTP.com

Downtown Minneapolis Business Leaders 'Fed Up and Angry' After Shooting

Several downtown business owners said they are "fed up and angry" with Minneapolis city leaders after a Saturday evening shooting.

Minneapolis police said a 31-year-old man is expected to make a full recovery after he was shot in the leg just before 8 p.m. Saturday on South 6th Street between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall. Investigators said several people were detained, but no one has been arrested.

Some downtown business leaders told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the timing and location of this latest shooting has them especially concerned for the public's safety, the safety of their employees and the economic vitality of the downtown area.

"The fact that this happened in the light of day near three popular restaurants and bars where people are eating on patios, walking the street, driving their cars, and the shooter just did not care," Ettinger said. "And that means there is a huge problem down here that city leaders are not taking seriously enough.

The Saturday evening shooting has caused uneasiness among some downtown visitors, as well.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM

540 posts, read 1,098,154 times
Quote:
You must have mis-understood my post. I meant I would like to see a supermarket downtown or closer into the center of downtown like a smaller cub foods store. There is plenty of space and plenty of people living in downtown to patronize one if built. I heard in 2015 there was supposed to be a Trader Joe's being built close to the new stadium. Even that would be great!

Target already has a grocery section and they're expanding it. There are also Lunds on one end of Hennepin and Whole Foods on the other. 3 grocery stores within a square mile is plenty.

As for the shooting the above poster linked, Block E has long been a problem area downtown. The police need to have more of an active presence around there and actually start enforcing loitering/panhandling laws.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:17 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,440,746 times
Quote:
Announcements | Trader Joe's

Old 05-15-2017, 04:09 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweilo845 View Post

As for the shooting the above poster linked, Block E has long been a problem area downtown. The police need to have more of an active presence around there and actually start enforcing loitering/panhandling laws.
There are no more loitering laws in Minneapolis. The city decided to rescind both the spitting in public and loitering laws.

Guess they aren't aware of the history of the spitting law and its connection to tuberculosis. They must not know we are currently undergoing a rise in a new treatment-resistant tuberculosis. Other than our Somali refugees, of whom twenty percent test positive for TB, the second largest population of TB patients are our street people.

It's not because we don't try to help them. The free clinics do. The problem is the transient nature of the affected and their poor habits and suspicion regarding medication.

But I digress. Just saying it's a good thing to ask people not to spit on the sidewalk if they don't know any better. It can't be any more offensive to them than their spitting is to me. It's a health issue. Talk about poor decision making.

After being asked to leave Lyons Pub on Nicollet Ave. this week a woman was shot outside the restaurant. This is on "Eat Street" a popular tourist destination.

If there's a crowd that wants to play rough in the late evening it's one thing. Most people who don't want to be around danger and drama know where to avoid. But when this kind of behavior starts to move into formerly safe areas and into the daylight that's a red flag.

We're done recreating in Minneapolis. And I'm not comforted by hearing that it's not any more dangerous than other cities. That's meager consolation.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:39 PM

464 posts, read 804,288 times
Uh...Eat Street isn't in Downtown. Lyon's is between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall, but the Eat Street section of Nicollet is a mile or so south of there.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 PM

256 posts, read 287,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Downtown Minneapolis Business Leaders 'Fed Up and Angry' After Shooting | KSTP.com

Downtown Minneapolis Business Leaders 'Fed Up and Angry' After Shooting

Several downtown business owners said they are "fed up and angry" with Minneapolis city leaders after a Saturday evening shooting.

Minneapolis police said a 31-year-old man is expected to make a full recovery after he was shot in the leg just before 8 p.m. Saturday on South 6th Street between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall. Investigators said several people were detained, but no one has been arrested.

Some downtown business leaders told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the timing and location of this latest shooting has them especially concerned for the public's safety, the safety of their employees and the economic vitality of the downtown area.

"The fact that this happened in the light of day near three popular restaurants and bars where people are eating on patios, walking the street, driving their cars, and the shooter just did not care," Ettinger said. "And that means there is a huge problem down here that city leaders are not taking seriously enough.

The Saturday evening shooting has caused uneasiness among some downtown visitors, as well.
Again, I'm not forgiving any monsters who are going to do something like that. But it simply is not a daily occurrence, as you seem to be implying. Of course "business leaders" are "fed up and angry" about it; I'm a Minneapolis resident, and I'm angry, too, whenever I hear about this kind of stuff. I wish they could eradicate gun crime across the board (in my city as well as the country). But until that day, I'm happy that the vast majority of people who live or work in Minneapolis will never encounter anything like this. Downtown is not some war-torn third world country that you should only enter with a kevlar vest and backpack full of iodine tablets.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:18 PM

256 posts, read 287,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
There are no more loitering laws in Minneapolis. The city decided to rescind both the spitting in public and loitering laws.

Guess they aren't aware of the history of the spitting law and its connection to tuberculosis. They must not know we are currently undergoing a rise in a new treatment-resistant tuberculosis. Other than our Somali refugees, of whom twenty percent test positive for TB, the second largest population of TB patients are our street people.

It's not because we don't try to help them. The free clinics do. The problem is the transient nature of the affected and their poor habits and suspicion regarding medication.

But I digress. Just saying it's a good thing to ask people not to spit on the sidewalk if they don't know any better. It can't be any more offensive to them than their spitting is to me. It's a health issue. Talk about poor decision making.

After being asked to leave Lyons Pub on Nicollet Ave. this week a woman was shot outside the restaurant. This is on "Eat Street" a popular tourist destination.

If there's a crowd that wants to play rough in the late evening it's one thing. Most people who don't want to be around danger and drama know where to avoid. But when this kind of behavior starts to move into formerly safe areas and into the daylight that's a red flag.

We're done recreating in Minneapolis. And I'm not comforted by hearing that it's not any more dangerous than other cities. That's meager consolation.
I will agree that the sidewalk-spitting thing is ****ing disgusting; I used to walk down Hennepin every morning to catch a bus to my old job, and looking down was often a stomach-turning experience. But at the same time, we have to realize that the reason Minneapolis (among other places) has decided to pull back from those laws is that they are overwhelmingly enforced against people of color. For better or worse, it always seemed to end up being one of those things that, like a broken taillight or whatever, just ends up serving as an excuse for police to stop someone and find other things to slap them with.

At any rate, it would be nice if the DID folks could try and gently enforce the courtesy of not spitting or littering, though I'm afraid that particular hassle is a bit beyond their pay grade.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Uh...Eat Street isn't in Downtown. Lyon's is between Hennepin Avenue and Nicollet Mall, but the Eat Street section of Nicollet is a mile or so south of there.
Thanks for setting me straight. My bad.

Yes, Lyon's Pub is in an attractive area of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul