Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:05 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,663,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
distract from the universal abuse that San Jose gets
San Jose, Lol! The overgrown suburb of San Francisco that will become the next Detroit when the tech boom bust or Amazon puts the other tech companies out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 11:21 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,932,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
San Jose, Lol! The overgrown suburb of San Francisco that will become the next Detroit when the tech boom bust or Amazon puts the other tech companies out of business.
All of it sudden, it's in San Jose forum? What San Jose has got to do with Minneapolis' plight?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:22 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,663,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
All of it sudden, it's in San Jose forum? What San Jose has got to do with Minneapolis' plight?
The fact that you go on the forums of other cities, trolling, in an attempt to try to make yourself feel better about the pitiful urban fabric of San Jose is what said city has to do with it. Therefore, with that premise understood by the others on this forum as the underlying background for the reason as to why you stared this tread, I'll ask my question again directly to you: what is the point of this thread?

Old 03-28-2017, 01:00 PM

542 posts, read 449,845 times
You don't live here and at best, you have a superficial understanding of the area. After looking at your posts on San Jose forum, I would not think it remiss to label you as a troll. However, as an avid reader of the Atlantic, you may be interested in the following article about San Jose.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...cities/470877/

A few interesting quotes for you to chew on...

And yet, San Jose, which has the highest median household income of any major city in the country, at $77,000 a year, and is home to billion-dollar companies such as Cisco and Adobe Systems Incorporated, also has some of the worst roads in the country, a shrinking police department despite a growing population, and, until the city shut it down, one of the largest homeless encampments in the nation.

If you read further...

The city has a billion-dollar backlog of deferred maintenance costs for infrastructure...

also,

The city has traditionally been a bedroom community, with more homes and fewer jobs than surrounding areas such as Palo Alto and Cupertino. For every 100 employed residents, San Jose has just 87 jobs. San Francisco, by contrast, has 138.

another issue,

Its poverty rate is 12.9 percent, and there are still hundreds of homeless people, even though the city shut down the homeless people’s encampment known as “The Jungle” in late 2014. As more people are unable to keep up with rising costs in the region, many end up on the city’s streets.

And when it comes to roads...

“Why is it that San Jose, the richest city in the richest country in the world, has the third-worst roads in the U.S.?”

I would also like to apologize for beating your city at some ranking triggering this post. We don't make those lists or set the criteria. Furthermore, with all the deep problems in San Jose, losing retail in the downtown area pales in comparison. I would hate to see what happens to the area if there is a weakening in the tech sector. It could go from boom to bust very quickly.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 03-28-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 05:29 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,932,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandViking View Post
You don't live here and at best, you have a superficial understanding of the area. After looking at your posts on San Jose forum, I would not think it remiss to label you as a troll. However, as an avid reader of the Atlantic, you may be interested in the following article about San Jose.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...cities/470877/

A few interesting quotes for you to chew on...

And yet, San Jose, which has the highest median household income of any major city in the country, at $77,000 a year, and is home to billion-dollar companies such as Cisco and Adobe Systems Incorporated, also has some of the worst roads in the country, a shrinking police department despite a growing population, and, until the city shut it down, one of the largest homeless encampments in the nation.

If you read further...

The city has a billion-dollar backlog of deferred maintenance costs for infrastructure...

also,

The city has traditionally been a bedroom community, with more homes and fewer jobs than surrounding areas such as Palo Alto and Cupertino. For every 100 employed residents, San Jose has just 87 jobs. San Francisco, by contrast, has 138.

another issue,

Its poverty rate is 12.9 percent, and there are still hundreds of homeless people, even though the city shut down the homeless people’s encampment known as “The Jungle” in late 2014. As more people are unable to keep up with rising costs in the region, many end up on the city’s streets.

And when it comes to roads...

“Why is it that San Jose, the richest city in the richest country in the world, has the third-worst roads in the U.S.?”

I would also like to apologize for beating your city at some ranking triggering this post. We don't make those lists or set the criteria. Furthermore, with all the deep problems in San Jose, losing retail in the downtown area pales in comparison. I would hate to see what happens to the area if there is a weakening in the tech sector. It could go from boom to bust very quickly.
All because your downtown is in trouble, and you don't want to hear the truth. Just read your city's own paper for further info of your downtown. You're living in denial. Downtown SJ kicks Downtown Minneapolis butt anytime, no comparison with a major city and a hamlet city.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:02 AM

25,857 posts, read 16,560,676 times
I remember the Target boutique location they tried on the Nicollet Mall. The idiots shoplifted so much they had to close it. The absolute MORON they have for a mayor would not allow the cops to do pretty much anything about it. That in a nutshell is what is happening to downtown. The last Twins game we went to last fall, I was shocked at how the downtown has changed after dark and what they cops allow and put up with. There are untold amounts of crazies running around down there screaming at the top of their lungs at nothing. I walked past a cop standing on a corner and one of these nuts are screaming right at his face and he's doing nothing about it.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 AM

871 posts, read 1,090,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I remember the Target boutique location they tried on the Nicollet Mall. The idiots shoplifted so much they had to close it. .

Are you talking about the Target urban format store on Nicollet Mall that is currently still open and that my friends who work at Target corporate told me it's such a success that they're going to start rolling it out nationwide?

Quite a memory you've got there- sounds like you're as well-informed as the OP.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:32 PM

628 posts, read 1,439,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Come and take a look at your downtown: Block E a failure and Nicollet Mall shopping tanked, too. Downtown has an identity crisis. The football stadium will probably not do much for downtown east since it only host 10 games a year. The development around it may help somewhat in the next few years. Right now, the downtown core is in trouble despite investments in high rise apartments/hotels and several office projects.
I live in the middle of the woods 5 hrs north of Minneapolis so I couldn't care less. I am fascinated by how much time you appear to waste on meaningless negative topics however. San Jose is an ok city, but get back to us when your drought is back and it returns to being the Phoenix of California.

Last edited by gearedtowardssalad; 03-30-2017 at 02:41 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 09:31 AM

25,857 posts, read 16,560,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedosius View Post
Are you talking about the Target urban format store on Nicollet Mall that is currently still open and that my friends who work at Target corporate told me it's such a success that they're going to start rolling it out nationwide?

Quite a memory you've got there- sounds like you're as well-informed as the OP.
Ha! They kept it open? That is hilarious. The last I heard it was shoplifters paradise and was doomed to close. Must be getting big subsidies from corporate to be politically correct LOL.

Doesn't surprise me with the current morons running Target corp. Nice job on the Canadian venture. Almost busted the company on that one.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:33 AM

540 posts, read 1,098,349 times
I agree that there are issues with the store (not a fan of the panhandlers around it) but it's actually one of the top performers in the region and they're doing a major expansion of the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul