Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 17,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
If a Mexican joint doesn't have habaneros, it's a fake.
So you are saying that all the Mexican joints that only speak Spanish are fake because they don't have habaneros? When I learn Spanish I will let them know they don't have real Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 AM

13 posts, read 17,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Try no one could know about your PMs. The OP asked for suggestions and because they are mature enough to realize that it's all a matter of taste. You have your opinions and others have theirs. There is no right or wrong here, folks.
It is not a matter of taste. It is a matter of knowledge and experience Mr. Monitor. How more passive aggressive can you get?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
there is a Don Julio's Restaurant in North Branch that has great food, can't attest for their authenticity but the food is yummy. Just off the interstate in the shopping mall to the West. Do yourself a favor the next time you are stuck in Sunday afternoon traffic heading home and stop in. They also have restaurants in Forest Lake and White Bear Lake. Huge menu, reasonable prices and you're sure to have enough left over for lunch tomorrow...try the Mexican Soup.

Don Julio - North Branch, MN

Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewevitt View Post
So you are saying that all the Mexican joints that only speak Spanish are fake because they don't have habaneros? When I learn Spanish I will let them know they don't have real Mexican food.
Please learn Spanish and ask the Mexican restaurants if they have habenaro peppers. You might be surprised. (But in Spanish.)

Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewevitt View Post
It is not a matter of taste. It is a matter of knowledge and experience Mr. Monitor. How more passive aggressive can you get?
I'm not monitoring anything.

I'm saying that your basic premise -- that there is a right or wrong answer to a best restraurant question-- is nonsense. Other people with just as much knowledge and experience have different opinions than yours. Your opinions on this aren't the right answer just because you think they are.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
This was a fun topic to read through. Here are a few points I'd like to make as a self-proclaimed Mexican food snob.

1) El Loro can be added to the don't bother list, (along with Acapulco, Don Pablos, Taco Bell, Rosa Mexicano)
2) Although admittedly I haven't spent a ton of time on St. Paul's Westside, I know it well enough to confidently conclude that South Minneapolis is superior when it comes to Mexican food offerings. If you insist on heading over there though, you should waste no time and head straight to Burrito Mercado.
3) Price was mentioned as a complaint earlier in the topic, specifcally for Taqueria Los Ocampo. I happen to agree that the food there is overpriced. My rebuttal to that is to head a few blocks west of there on Lake Street to a place called Gorditas El Gordo (ironically, it's located next to Taco Bell). In my opinion this offers you the best top to bottom menu of authentic Mexican food at a more affordable price point than Los Ocampo.
4) I'm appalled nobody has mentioned Taqueria La Hacienda yet (2 locations in South Minneapolis on 4th Ave and E Lake St and in Mercado Central on Bloomington and E Lake). Most people I know agree that it is better than Taco Taxi for tacos, tortas and alambres.
5) For Mexican breakfast options (huevos a la mexicana, chilaquiles, etc.) look no further than La Loma located in the Midtown Global Market. The food there is very reasonably priced too.
6) Manny's Tortas has the best tortas in the the Twin Cities (located in the Midtown Global Market and Mercado Central)
7) For Pozole, I'd recommend the pozoleria in Mercado Central or at Gorditas El Gordo
8) For tamales, I strongly recommend La Loma in Mercado Central (or Midtown Global Market).
9) I love the recommendation somebody made for Alborada Market. They recently expanded their restaurant and have good offerings there.
10) Finally, if you venture to South Minneapolis for Mexican food, beware of Marisqueria La Que Buena. I've had a few terrible experiences there and will never go back. Even if you luck out and get good food there, the place has a very shady vibe to it. With so many great options nearby it doesn't make any sense to bother going there.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,328 times
Everyone will tell you to go to place on Lake Street. But, in my experience, they are too depressing and boring to be much fun, with decor like a McDonald's and no alcohol served, a very fast foody experience... As a tourist you deserve better:

Go to El Burrito Mercado in St. Paul (not Minneapolis). It is an amazing Mexican supermarket and restaurant with very authentic and delicious food in the heart of a somewhat charming Mexican neighborhood.

In Minneapolis, Midtown Global Market is a great experience in general, and Sonora grill has some of the best tacos I have ever had. (Yes, this is on Lake St. but it is not a normal business but a big indoor market full of small stands and shops.)

Near the airport/South suburbs, I like Andale in Richfield. (77th & Nicollet near I-494).

Downtown, Salsa a la Salsa is pretty good, and I have heard Masa is very good as well (fancier options). Pancho Villa's is your traditional big lively Mexican restaurant with cheap drinks and karaoke, food just decent.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I'm not monitoring anything.

I'm saying that your basic premise -- that there is a right or wrong answer to a best restraurant question-- is nonsense. Other people with just as much knowledge and experience have different opinions than yours. Your opinions on this aren't the right answer just because you think they are.

I have to agree. First of all, are you asking about true Mexican cuisine or Tex-Mex? They are very different and many people only like one or the other. Being in Texas, the restaurants around here are primarily Tex-Mex and a lot of people don't even try Mexican. To my taste, I like a little heat, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul