Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM

302 posts, read 728,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I am also from Southern California and everyone who says it is great is usually from the mid-west. Since you stated in another thread that you are vegan, what did you eat at El Loro? Did they make a great salad?
I am vegan, but have not always been since relocating here. And there are several vegan options at El Loro (and most Mexican places)....which is why I love Mexican food. And no, I have never had a salad at any of them (you need to expand your vegan horizons/stereotypes a bit).

Oh and yes, I saw all your L.A. area codes - 818, 310, 213. Lots of Del Taco and Taco Bell locations for you....just like in Syracuse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,619,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMCGirl View Post
I am vegan, but have not always been since relocating here. And there are several vegan options at El Loro (and most Mexican places)....which is why I love Mexican food. And no, I have never had a salad at any of them (you need to expand your vegan horizons/stereotypes a bit).

Oh and yes, I saw all your L.A. area codes - 818, 310, 213. Lots of Del Taco and Taco Bell locations for you....just like in Syracuse?
That is true, El Loro doesn't do real Mexican food, so there probably isn't manteca in much of anything. Good to hear your self righteous path is a new lifestyle for you.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
That is true, El Loro doesn't do real Mexican food, so there probably isn't manteca in much of anything. Good to hear your self righteous path is a new lifestyle for you.
And you're calling ME "self righteous" because?......you saw I was "vegan" on another post? So you think ALL vegans are "self righteous", so I must be too?? Am I trying to shove my lifestyle down your throat or say I'm better than you because I said I was vegan on ANOTHER thread (about vegetarian food)?? Perhaps you should look up the meaning of words/phrases before you use them....I am thinking you PROBABLY don't really know what "self righteous" truly means (and fyi, as an example right now I AM being self righteous about your lack of knowledge and it has NOTHING to do with me being vegan).

And by the way you have added nothing to this conversation other than negativity and a "go to Lake street". No examples of restaurants. No "whys". Stick to Syracuse....that is clearly where your expertise lies.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,619,490 times
Quote:
And by the way you have added nothing to this conversation other than negativity and a "go to Lake street". No examples of restaurants. No "whys".
Any place on Lake Street will beat El Loro.
when I lived in Minneapolis, I knew if someone told me to try El Loros, I couldn't trust their review of Mexican food. I actually didn't bother to read if anyone suggest this place before posting that response. You will have many people tell you about good Mexican food and the minute someone says El Loro, anything else they have to say about the subject isn't worth listening to. That is a value add to the conversation.

Here are some addresses of the area I am talking about on Lake St. http://mplsmexican.blogspot.com/

Old 10-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Any place on Lake Street will beat El Loro.
when I lived in Minneapolis, I knew if someone told me to try El Loros, I couldn't trust their review of Mexican food. I actually didn't bother to read if anyone suggest this place before posting that response. You will have many people tell you about good Mexican food and the minute someone says El Loro, anything else they have to say about the subject isn't worth listening to. That is a value add to the conversation.

Here are some addresses of the area I am talking about on Lake St. minneapolis mexican food - lake street
Thanks for the name calling on the "reputation comment". You are a classy guy.

And it's "El Loro", not "El Loros". Been there before? Right....

Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,727,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewevitt View Post
Try maybe I sent that person a PM. La Guadalupana's across the street from El Burrito has the best al pastor in their meat department. Cinco de Mayo on Nicolett and 38th has the best carnitas. Adelita's Bakery on Central and 44th is the best panaderia in the cities.
Try no one could know about your PMs. The OP asked for suggestions and because they are mature enough to realize that it's all a matter of taste. You have your opinions and others have theirs. There is no right or wrong here, folks.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:07 PM

701 posts, read 1,711,480 times
Has anyone tried Andale Taqueria & Mercado in Richfield (77th and Nicollet)?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:13 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,673,334 times
I don't care for El Loro, La Casita and Acapulco Restaurante Mexicano are my favorite. They have a few locations.

Acapulco Restaurante Mexicano

La Casita Mexican Restaurant

Old 10-28-2013, 01:50 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,999,878 times
If a Mexican joint doesn't have habaneros, it's a fake.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,996,790 times
Quote:
Everyone I know who has eaten at El Loro loves it. And I'm from Southern California where they know how to make Mexican food.
Which is the equivalent of saying "I'm from Seattle where they know how to make coffee."

In other words, they know how to make coffee that Seattle drinks.

I have no skin in this as I only visit Mpls occasionally and stumbled on this thread hoping for a great find as I actually lived in Mexico.

As a frequent traveler, I'll just note that Chicago > LA/SoCal when it comes to anything beyond tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul