Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I completely agree with the last two posts.
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 09:06 AM

324 posts, read 659,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Nooooooo was I saying the opposite. Gullah culture is in the low country of Georgia and South Carolina it consider southern culture but they have waaaaaaay more in common with Bahamians, Virgin lslanders, Afro Cubans, Haitians and other west Indians then they do with the people in Ozark region. The only way to say Miami is not southern is to say the low country of Georgia and South Carolina is not southern either. But then you can say New Orleans is different from the Ozark region too so now New Orleans is not southern either. Before you know it you realize and grow out of those tired stereotypes because THE SOUTH IS ALREADY UN-MONOLITHIC. So it kills me when people say Miami is not like parts of the south culturally because other parts of the south aren’t culturally like other parts of south either.

Gullah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[url="http://www.google.com/url?
sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CA8QFjAB&url=http %3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FGullah_language &rct=j&q=Gullah&ei=MYnSS5aNHozu9gTM9OzDDw&usg=AFQj CNGpGaOgH_arMFweZ3N-
TkSEtzeIWw"]Gullah language - Wikipedia, the free
encyclopedia[/UR
I didn't post two Afo-cuban videos, Keep in mind this this lady is from SC.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAjpf9TOcdY"]YouTubGullah/GeecheeTV Nayshun NyewswithQueenQuet12Pt3[/UR

because THERE IS NO MONOLITHIC southern culture if Miami is not part of tsouth, Then we need to stop calling other cities southern. Because they are
just as different from each other.

Sir majority of of south ga is country and very southern and SC too.. I grew up in Miami Dade... You know southern culture when u see it.. And Miami is not it... As soon as u get too Miami it's a feeling like being in South America, it hits u in your face..... You can go around the world and due a survey and I bet 9 times out of 10 people are going to say Miami culturally is not a southern city.... What southern city u know there primary language is Spanish.

As of 2000, speakers of Spanish as their first language accounted for 66.75% of residents, while English was spoken by 25.45%, Haitian Creole by 5.20%, and French speakers comprised 0.76% of the population.[62] Other languages that were spoken throughout the city include Portuguese at 0.41%, German at 0.18%, Italian at 0.16%, Arabic at 0.15%, Chinese at 0.11%, and Greek at 0.08% of the population. Miami also has one of the largest percentage populations in the U.S. that have residents who speak first languages other than English at home (74.55%).[62]
Due to the increase in Spanish-speaking residents, by 2008 some English-speakers felt marginalized due to difficulties in conducting

Last edited by Blkspice23; 04-24-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I bet you can't.
NO, I know you can't.
I bet I could!!!! Sir I'll be there for essence I'll make sure I video record it...

Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Physically yes. Culturally? Well, that's a matter of opinion. If you are one of those people who always perceives being Southern as riddled with overly generalized negative stereotypes, then the answer is no. If you understand that the South is more complex than overly simple, overly generalized stereotypes and that it reflects a variety of cultural influences, etc.......then the answer is "sort of". I say "sort of" because, while Miami has its share of Southern roots, its culture is highly influenced by Latin influence from the Caribbean, Central and South America. It's also important to understand that its incorporated history barely reaches back to the 19th Century (1896). This means that Miami doesn't have any real association with the founding of our country or the Civil War...both important influencers in developing the culture of the South. Also, Miami was founded by a woman (Julia Tuttle) from Cleveland and developed by a railroad tycoon from NY (Henry Flagler) and a Quaker from New Jersey (John Collins). These are hardly Southern credentials... Nonetheless, it's agriculture roots can assume that post slavery agriculture culture in the rest of the South influenced Miami's agriculture history and that it did influence the overall culture of the area in its founding decades.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
I bet I could!!!! Sir I'll be there for essence I'll make sure I video record it...
Yeah, your going to be surrounded by thousands of tourists. I'm sure you'll see the real NOLA.

While you're here, find a native with a typical southern accent.
See how many "soul food" or BBQ restaurants you can find.
Take a poll on local religous beliefs.
See how much of whatever else you consider southern you can find.

I bet you'll find more of it in Miami.

Want to go into diversity.. Miami has the shear numbers, but GNO has a significant Jamaican and Haitian pop. A smaller mixture from other Caribbean nations, a large Central and South American population, and smaller Cuban and Brazilian (which is growing) communities. Plus most blacks in NOLA are of direct Haitian and Caribbean descent.

This doesn't take away from our southerness so why should it take away from yours, especially when a non-caribbean black from Miami would have more in common with blacks in Atlanta than N.O.?

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 04-24-2010 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Physically yes. Culturally? Well, that's a matter of opinion. If you are one of those people who always perceives being Southern as riddled with overly generalized negative stereotypes, then the answer is no. If you understand that the South is more complex than overly simple, overly generalized stereotypes and that it reflects a variety of cultural influences, etc.......then the answer is "sort of". I say "sort of" because, while Miami has its share of Southern roots, its culture is highly influenced by Latin influence from the Caribbean, Central and South America. It's also important to understand that its incorporated history barely reaches back to the 19th Century (1896). This means that Miami doesn't have any real association with the founding of our country or the Civil War...both important influencers in developing the culture of the South. Also, Miami was founded by a woman (Julia Tuttle) from Cleveland and developed by a railroad tycoon from NY (Henry Flagler) and a Quaker from New Jersey (John Collins). These are hardly Southern credentials... Nonetheless, it's agriculture roots can assume that post slavery agriculture culture in the rest of the South influenced Miami's agriculture history and that it did influence the overall culture of the area in its founding decades.
I agree, but it kills me how people (in general) act like no southerners or Floridians migrated Miami after it's founding. Who do people think did all of the hard labor before the latinos came?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 AM

683 posts, read 1,468,932 times
Spanish in F L O R I D A???

The U.S. state where the first European colony (Spanish) was created (saint augustine) 21 years before the english settlement?

That makes NO sense...

Gosh people, F L O R I D A has always been linked to the spanish language. And there are 3 official languages in Miami: english, spanish, and creole.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, your going to be surrounded by thousands of tourists. I'm sure you'll see the real NOLA.

While you're here, find a native with a typical southern accent.
See how many "soul food" or BBQ restaurants you can find.
Take a poll on local religous beliefs.
See how much of whatever else you consider southern you can find.

I bet you'll find more of it in Miami.

Want to go into diversity.. Miami has the shear numbers, but GNO has a significant Jamaican and Haitian pop. A smaller mixture from other Caribbean nations, a large Central and South American population, and smaller Cuban and Brazilian (which is growing) communities. Plus most blacks in NOLA are of direct Haitian and Caribbean descent.

This doesn't take away from our southerness so why should it take away from yours, especially when a non-caribbean black from Miami would have more in common with blacks in Atlanta than N.O.?
I have friends who are from NO and im not staying in no Hotel. so Sorry i will see the real New Orleans. There isnt real ethinic Diversity in NO like miami... Ill make sure I record it and send you the Youtube clip..

Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Can't rep you because I've gotta spread it around but +2. A very well-reasoned answer from an actual resident of the Miami area.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I agree, but it kills me how people (in general) act like no southerners or Floridians migrated Miami after it's founding. Who do people think did all of the hard labor before the latinos came?

We are talking about todays time.. Not what happen 200 years ago those roots are gone and soon its going to get worse....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami