Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:53 PM

324 posts, read 659,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Southern culture refers culture that geographically in the American south again that can be anything from Texmex, Creole, Ozark, Low Country, Mississippi delta there no sole monolithic Southern culture and dialect, Florida is no exception to a region that already non monolithic. I read that article you post a while back and there's no reference for that passage you quoted to support it. When I use an wiki article I would make sure there notes and reference to support it claim.

Again I post this on another page Cuban culture as strong African
Influences, cuba you know the latin caribbean imfluence that should make Miami different. Gullah is like Caribbean culture because of it's history, since Miami is like Caribbean culture, Miami culture in some aspects is like Gullah culture which is part of Southern Culture. Isn't that just funniest thing. Again even your link say "The combination of its unique history and that many Southerners maintain" The only way to say Miami is not southern is to say the low country of Georgia and South Carolina is not southern either.

YouTube - Gullah/Geechee TV Nayshun Nyews with Queen Quet Ep 9 Pt 5

YouTube - Afro-Cuban Dance for Babaluyae

Then jamaica is southern Cuba is southern puerto Rico Haiti Bahamas... Virgin lslanders.. Trinidadians columbians all the Europeans.. These races dominate Miami DAde... So if your going to call these people southern then there countries should be considered southern to.... I agree Miami is the least southern of all the southern states.. That's why some people just don't consider it a southern city culturally... My family is from Barbados and I'm no where near southern..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 PM

324 posts, read 659,678 times
That's why u have all these ethinic nieghborhoods.. Because these different races wanna stick to there cultural and not everyone elses...

Old 04-23-2010, 11:26 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
I don't understand how anyone can think of Miami as southern culturally?

in this map all of Florida is a different dominant religion then the rest of the south and I'm sure it's mostly because of southern Florida...

theres tons of maps that clearly leaves southern Florida out from the rest of the South along with New Orleans in some of them...

Old 04-24-2010, 12:25 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

in this map all of Florida is a different dominant religion then the rest of the south and I'm sure it's mostly because of southern Florida...

theres tons of maps that clearly leaves southern Florida out from the rest of the South along with New Orleans in some of them...
What are you trying to say exactly? Is it that Miami is "less Southern" because it has a large amount of Catholics and not so many Baptists? You do know that both groups are Christians and Catholics tend to be the more conservative of the bunch?

Anyway, perhaps you should actually look into the numbers...

Number of Catholics in each of the big four Southern Cities:

Archdiocese of Houston: 1,045,030 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diocese of Dallas: 955,298
Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archdiocese of Miami: 856,783 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archdiocese of Atlanta: 750,000 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So using your "number of Catholics" theory, Houston is the "least Southern" of all four and Miami is third behind Dallas. LOL.

On this matter I really don't care since I am a agnostic, but why does it matter that the South (including Virginia and Maryland) have high numbers of Baptists? Is it your position that people in the South are "more religious" than people elsewhere and thus backwards somehow? If so, then you have to explain the thousands of Churches, Mosques, and Synagogues that places like New York or Boston have.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:53 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What are you trying to say exactly? Is it that Miami is "less Southern" because it has a large amount of Catholics and not so many Baptists? You do know that both groups are Christians and Catholics tend to be the more conservative of the bunch?

Anyway, perhaps you should actually look into the numbers...

Number of Catholics in each of the big four Southern Cities:

Archdiocese of Houston: 1,045,030 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diocese of Dallas: 955,298
Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archdiocese of Miami: 856,783 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archdiocese of Atlanta: 750,000 Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So using your "number of Catholics" theory, Houston is the "least Southern" of all four and Miami is third behind Dallas. LOL.

On this matter I really don't care since I am a agnostic, but why does it matter that the South (including Virginia and Maryland) have high numbers of Baptists? Is it your position that people in the South are "more religious" than people elsewhere and thus backwards somehow? If so, then you have to explain the thousands of Churches, Mosques, and Synagogues that places like New York or Boston have.
wow, that is alot of assumption for the 3 sentences I posted, you truly are insecure and this post just says it all ... I was just posting random maps to show how southerm Florida always seems to be seperated from the rest of the south...

all too funny, bless your heart as they say in the South..

Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Then jamaica is southern Cuba is southern puerto Rico Haiti Bahamas... Virgin lslanders.. Trinidadians columbians all the Europeans.. These races dominate Miami DAde... So if your going to call these people southern then there countries should be considered southern to.... I agree Miami is the least southern of all the southern states.. That's why some people just don't consider it a southern city culturally... My family is from Barbados and I'm no where near southern..
Nooooooo was I saying the opposite. Gullah culture is in the low country of Georgia and South Carolina it consider southern culture but they have waaaaaaay more in common with Bahamians, Virgin lslanders, Afro Cubans, Haitians and other west Indians then they do with the people in Ozark region. The only way to say Miami is not southern is to say the low country of Georgia and South Carolina is not southern either. But then you can say New Orleans is different from the Ozark region too so now New Orleans is not southern either. Before you know it you realize and grow out of those tired stereotypes because THE SOUTH IS ALREADY UN-MONOLITHIC. So it kills me when people say Miami is not like parts of the south culturally because other parts of the south aren’t culturally like other parts of south either.

Gullah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gullah language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't post two Afo-cuban videos, Keep in mind this this lady is from SC.

YouTube - Gullah/Geechee TV Nayshun Nyews with Queen Quet Ep 12 Pt 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

because THERE IS NO MONOLITHIC southern culture if Miami is not part of the south, Then we need to stop calling other cities southern. Because they are just as different from each other.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
So I've read through all the pages of this thread and haven't found a single compelling case as to why Miami isn't a Southern city. There is the obvious fact that it's at the southernmost end of Florida. You can't get much more southern than that in the US. But let's play along with this "cultural" angle that people seem to think excludes Miami from being at all similar to other Southern cities. Let's due it on a points system bit by bit.

The first point people are quick to chime in on is Miami's huge Latino population, particularly Cubans. This point is absolutely true. With 2,099,334 Latinos, Miami can be considered the "Latin Mecca" and is the Gateway to Latin America. Not to mention the huge sway/dominance Cubans have over the politics of the City of Miami. But is a large Latino population something that is uncharacteristically Southern? If this was 1960 you would have a point, but this is 2010. So what other places have large Latino populations?

Latino population of the Dallas CSA: 1,650,317

Latino population of the Houston CSA: 1,865,649

Latino population of the Atlanta CSA: 487,984

Points for "Miami is not southern because it has a lot of Latinos": 0

The next point people make is that Miami has a very high density population density, thus it is more like a Northeastern city. First of all, having a high population density or a compact city is not the exclusive domain of the Northeast. If it were does that make San Francisco not a West coast city or Chicago not a Midwestern city? Secondly, the only reason why the Miami area is so dense is that it is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean on it's east side and by the Everglades on it's west side. You can't very well build on water no can you, and it is an admirable thing that Miami was kept from chewing up the Everglades (though, if it wasn't blocked by environmentalists, the Everglades would be a distant memory and Miami would cover all of the southern part of Florida most likely.)

This is also the same development pattern you will see in every other costal southern city. High density development by the coast, residential in the middle, and usually swampland or flood plains on the other side. The difference being is that Miami is also a big city and those other places for the most part are just tourist destinations. Also, the nature of the housing in Miami is not at all like Northeastern cities. Sure, there are plenty of condo towers there, but you'd be hard pressed to find a rowhouse or brownstone in Miami. It's mostly single family homes not to dissimilar to what you find in Houston. The difference being of course is that Miami is physically constrained.

However, let's continue on this thought path of the fact that Miami is a high density city. Some people assume that means that it must be some sort of walkers paradise, soooo not like those other silly "car dependent Southern cities". Especially since it has a subway. So let's compare that information with another Southern city that people typically assume is the exact opposite of that.

Percentage of households that do not own a car (city proper, not metro):

Miami 26.7% (#18 nationally)
Atlanta 23.58% (#25 nationaly)

City Metro (Subway) and electric rail systems

Miami:

Metromover - 22 stations, 30,250 daily riders
Metrorail (subway) - 22 stations, 1 line, 67,000 daily riders

Total: 97,250

Atlanta:

MARTA (subway) - 38 stations, 4 lines, 247,000 daily riders

As you can see, Miami and Atlanta both have a similar size walking population, but in terms of public transportation usage it is far and ahead of Miami. I'm not knocking Miami though. They at least had the foresight to build a subway system, and I understand that there are plans to expand it. However, this idea that people in Miami are living like they are Brooklyn or something taking the train and walking everywhere is nonsense. Miami is not at dissimilar than other Southern cities in that regard.

Points for "Miami is not a Southern city because it is high density": 0

Last but not least, there is the oft brought up fact that Miami has a lot of transplants from up north. This is true, but so does Atlanta. Well over a million in fact, including both of my parents and a whole lot of people I grew up with. Does this make Atlanta "not a southern city". Taking it a step further, is Houston or Dallas not southern cities because they get a lot of transplants from California and the Upper Midwest? Or do you all think that the millions of people moving to Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta over the last 30 years all came off a farm in Alabama somewhere? LOL

Points for "Miami is not a Southern city because it has a lot of transplants": 0

So now, let's go over the stereotypical Southern things that Miami doesn't have.

A large amount of Barbecue restaurants: Check

Residents with a Southern accent: Check

YouTube - Luke - Scarred

Trailer homes (Sorry I had to do this Miamians): Double check

Trailer park - Google Maps

So in the end, Miami is definitely unique. However, all of the big Southern cities are unique. None of them are alike, but they all have basic similarities that make them all Southern.

I really have to know what people are trying to say about Miami "not being Southern". Are you all equating Southern with country? If so, then lol. Country can be found everywhere in this country (Shout out to Pottsville, PA!), so trying to attach that to obviously big cities is just ignorant.

P.S.

Miami is a true, blue Southern City.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:21 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
I suspect at one time people used to say the same thing about New Orleans and Louisana. They are too Catholic, too foreign , too French --- they cannot possibly be part of the South. Eventually people accepted New Orleans and found it culturally enriched and ADDED to the South.

I am betting the same thing is going to happen with Miami and Florida.

Last edited by LINative; 04-24-2010 at 06:29 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
I completely agree with the last two posts.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
can find more southern traits in new Orleans than I can Miami and that's a fact...
I bet you can't.
NO, I know you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami