Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Miami a Southern City?
Yes 142 39.55%
No 217 60.45%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

Thought this was interesting from the blurb on Florida in the link:

The least "Southern" part of the state is South Florida, which has been transformed by the rapid influx of Northern migrants and immigration from (especially) Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia. Miami-Dade County is the only county in the entire United States in which a majority (51.4%) of residents were born outside of the country [19], with Broward, Palm Beach, and Monroe counties all having far more transplanted residents than native-born Floridians. The northern, central, and rural areas are more "southern", with such areas as most of Central Florida the Florida Panhandle and the Florida Heartland demonstrating the typical Southern culture. (i.e. the South is in the North).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:08 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,527 times
Hey I was speaking to the people on this forum and I wanted to know what their opinion was based on what they said... and if you want to use wikipedia as a reference. Florida, Virginia, and Maryland are southern cities.

I want to know why people disagree with wikipedia?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
No and yes

Yes geographically

No culturally there is more of everything else besides southern people and southern culture... Take this from someone who has lives there all there life...

Easiest and simplest answer

Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,785,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Thought this was interesting from the blurb on Florida in the link:

The least "Southern" part of the state is South Florida, which has been transformed by the rapid influx of Northern migrants and immigration from (especially) Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia. Miami-Dade County is the only county in the entire United States in which a majority (51.4%) of residents were born outside of the country [19], with Broward, Palm Beach, and Monroe counties all having far more transplanted residents than native-born Floridians. The northern, central, and rural areas are more "southern", with such areas as most of Central Florida the Florida Panhandle and the Florida Heartland demonstrating the typical Southern culture. (i.e. the South is in the North).
lol, i didn't see you post this before I noticed it and added it to my post..... Great Northeastern Mid-Atlantic minds think alike!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
lol, i didn't see you post this before I noticed it and added it to my post..... Great Northeastern Mid-Atlantic minds think alike!

Never a truer word spoken

Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,527 times
Quote:
Culture of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That should help you to understand it better. Also, note the following passage in that wiki entry:

"Florida is a unique situation. There is a popular saying in Florida that "The North is in the South, and the South is in the North." This refers to the vast cultural difference between peoples of North and South Florida. Despite being the most geographically southeastern state, it has experienced such rapid population growth from regions outside of the traditional South that it is sometimes no longer considered to be "culturally Southern" in some areas (especially true of South Florida). However, this depends on the area of the state. For example, while the culturally-Southern Florida Panhandle counts for only 7% of the state's population, largely non-Southern South Florida accounts for a full third of the state's population, with Miami-Dade County (where a majority of residents were born outside of the United States) alone having approximately twice as many residents as the entire Panhandle."
First that can be said for all major cities in the south lately.

Furthermore, it says "The least "Southern" part of the state is South Florida, which has been transformed by the rapid influx of Northern migrants and immigration from (especially) Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, and Asia."

It may be the least southern... but it's still southern... adios amigo

Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Culture of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That should help you to understand it better. Also, note the following passage in that wiki entry:
Southern culture refers culture that geographically in the American south again that can be anything from Texmex, Creole, Ozark, Low Country, Mississippi delta there no sole monolithic Southern culture and dialect, Florida is no exception to a region that already non monolithic. I read that article you post a while back and there's no reference for that passage you quoted to support it. When I use an wiki article I would make sure there notes and reference to support it claim.

Again I post this on another page Cuban culture as strong African
Influences, cuba you know the latin caribbean imfluence that should make Miami different. Gullah is like Caribbean culture because of it's history, since Miami is like Caribbean culture, Miami culture in some aspects is like Gullah culture which is part of Southern Culture. Isn't that just funniest thing. Again even your link say "The combination of its unique history and that many Southerners maintain" The only way to say Miami is not southern is to say the low country of Georgia and South Carolina is not southern either.

YouTube - Gullah/Geechee TV Nayshun Nyews with Queen Quet Ep 9 Pt 5

YouTube - Afro-Cuban Dance for Babaluyae

Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Yes, it is Southern. My family isn't originally from there, but I knew many native Miamians (their parents and grandparents were born there) when I lived in Miami as a kid. They absolutely consider themselves and their city Southern. Just because many Northerners and Cubans and Haitians and South Americans have settled in Miami over the past few decades, it does not take away the city's Southern heritage (Anymore than the fact that over 80% of the people who live in Detroit today have strong Southern roots doesn't take away that city's strong Northern heritage).

Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM

404 posts, read 595,545 times
This is a horse **** question. Miami is the most south major city in the US, of course it's southern. It doesn't matter if it's not culturally, it's south ****** south o.k...!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
OK, but culturally those cities offer more besides southern culture. You guys are being a little hypocritically about this.
no you are just wrong once again and live in warped southern world because you have never been outside the south and don't know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami