Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times

Advertisements

planetsurf this is just bizarre innuendo as my sister worked at Doctor's hospital in the Gables for years and everyone spoke English. How do you become a nurse or a doctor without knowing English? I am hispanic myself and find these tirades about language in Miami full of it to the nth degree! Conversational Spanish is just a way to connect with others of your heritage just like I made it a point to pick up some Creole to talk with my Haitian friends. It's amazing how many people just run away from wanting to learn a different language.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:09 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
I may be a half glass empty guy when it comes to English speakers in Miami, but I have come to lower my standards and expectations of people so much in Miami that I think that if you stepped out of Miami for a few days and listened to how English is actually spoken, you will agree with me that "almost nobody speaks understandable english." It may be mean, but it's true.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:30 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
if you stepped out of Miami for a few days and listened to how English is actually spoken, you will agree with me that "almost nobody speaks understandable english." It may be mean, but it's true.
Nope, don't agree with that statement 1 tiny bit. But good luck with all that anyway.

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-19-2008 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 06:58 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Culturally, I am about as American as they come; family has been in this country for generation. I'm 1/2 hispanic, 1/2 asian but look full Hispanic and have darker skin. I don't know spanish and want to learn it and am looking forward to the hispanic culture of Miami b/c I want a different lifestyle and scene than what I have had my whole life in Ca. I've asked this question before but I just like to get as much insight as possible; but do you think someone in my situation would have a tough time in Miami? Do some hispanics treat other hispanics who don't know spanish kind of poorly? Also since I don't know spanish yet should I look for a job in Broward County over Miami-Dade? I have a degree in urban planning and currently do transportation planning and would look for something in that field or land use/urban planning or basically just a professional office environment. This is probably one of my biggest worries about moving to Miami.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
planetsurf this is just bizarre innuendo as my sister worked at Doctor's hospital in the Gables for years and everyone spoke English. How do you become a nurse or a doctor without knowing English?
Of course they do! The OP DID say everyone spoke English, that wasn't the issue b4 the thread got hijacked.

I was born in Doctor's a million years ago and we live within 3 blocks right now. The few times I was in there (since being born - don't remember that very well) it always impressed me as one of the nicest (if smallest) hospitals around.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OK, tap the breaks on that one. I do not want any nurse that just learned conversational Spanish, having anything to do with my healthcare, thanks very much.

I usually agree with you but this was WAY over the political correctness line. We're talking about life and death here
ummm what does a person learning conversational Spanish have to do with your health care? I am lost.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Culturally, I am about as American as they come; family has been in this country for generation. I'm 1/2 hispanic, 1/2 asian but look full Hispanic and have darker skin. I don't know spanish and want to learn it and am looking forward to the hispanic culture of Miami b/c I want a different lifestyle and scene than what I have had my whole life in Ca. I've asked this question before but I just like to get as much insight as possible; but do you think someone in my situation would have a tough time in Miami? Do some hispanics treat other hispanics who don't know spanish kind of poorly? Also since I don't know spanish yet should I look for a job in Broward County over Miami-Dade? I have a degree in urban planning and currently do transportation planning and would look for something in that field or land use/urban planning or basically just a professional office environment. This is probably one of my biggest worries about moving to Miami.
Dude -- very valid concerns, but shouldn't you start another thread instead of hijacking this one?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Dude -- very valid concerns, but shouldn't you start another thread instead of hijacking this one?
I did a while ago, but it got locked b/c people started arguing or something. I just get so many different types of responses and am not sure what to expect. Nevermind then, I'll just watch how this thread plays out....

Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Welcome to Miami! This is the sad side of South Florida. As a non spanish speaking person, I just shrug it off and walk away. Or if I am friends with these people I tell them to speak english please and they do. They do this mainly because spanish is more comfortable to speak than english, as spanish is probably their first language. As to the question "are you American", well get used to that, you will get it asked of you many times. Miami is in American, but not really. You have to go to Broward or Palm Beach really to be in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopralto View Post
Hello all...I recently moved to Miami from Pennsylvania. I work as a nurse at a local hospital and had an interesting question asked of me the other day.

Most of the staff in this hospital are Cuban natives with English as a second language. Unfortunately, for me, I do not speak Spanish, and I guess it's obvious that I am not of hispanic descent (pale-skinned, blonde). 99% of the staff...doctors, nurses, techs, support staff...are primarily Spanish-speaking but do also speak English. There are some staff members like me who do not speak any Spanish at all, and yet the primary language spoken at the nurses station is Spanish (which brings up patient safety questions for another thread). The primary lanuage spoken in the break room is Spanish. Keep in mind, everyone knows that not everyone speaks Spanish..everyone on staff CAN speak English...and still this goes on.

My first week of work, after not being able to participate in the conversations going on around me for most of the day, someone on the staff came up to me and asked:

"Are you an American?"

That question blew me away. In my mind, my initial reaction was thinking, "I have never been asked that in my own country before." I smiled and simply replied "Yes," while also thinking "aren't you?"

I was made aware of a term that I think means something along the lines of "someone who was born in the US (not Cuba) who does not speak Spanish, only English" that is apprently well know term in the Cuban community. I think the word begins with an 'n'. Does anyone know the term?

I would enjoy to hear any thoughts on this subject...

Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
1/2 Asian and 1/2 Hispanic (mestizo?) - you won't look like most Hispanics in Miami because most Hispanics there (I grew up there and now live in NYC) are white or white-ish. People might not even think yoou look Hispanic at all; I can probably count on one hand the number of Hispanic people I know in Miami who look like your stereotypical dark-skinned LA mestizo.

Again, most people (including Hispanics and including virtually ALL Hispanics under all 30) speak English in Miami-Dade. If you are working in a professional office environment with focus on urban planning and land use, work will be in English and knowing Spanish will NOT be a requirement. Socially, however, you may face some discrimination from Hispanics *if* you self-identify as Hispanic yet do not speak Spanish. You will not be expected to speak Spanish, but if you want to "be Hispanic" in Miami, you pretty much have to speak some Spanish. I knew several kids who grew up with me who were not considered Hispanic by the "Hispanic" kids (they were pretty much considered non-Hispanic white) because despite their families' Latin American roots, they spoke no Spanish at all and might as well have been from Middle America.

With that said, you should be fine if you just be yourself and don't try to push the whole "Hispanic" thing (I notice you mention it in a lot of your posts). I know plenty of people down there who don't speak Spanish at all and who have met lots of friends and who have successful careers and active social lives. Miami has a lot of good going for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami