Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 AM

13 posts, read 21,204 times

Advertisements

Hi- My family is moving to north Miami, 125th Terrace, which is about 3 blocks WEST of Biscayne, North Miami..I am so confused about the area mainly because of these forums..People saying how unsafe North Miami is- however, looking at safety or crime stats map the area is considered average. Can someone tell me what is considered an average neighborhood in Miami? I have a 6mth old girl, and yes, I would like to be able to walk in my area at night if needed..I mean its very close to rt. 1, which I hear people say your safe if your east of rt. 1..Please help guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
The problem with area crime stats is that they are not accurate because many crimes go unreported. The most accurate map is the one found on this forum because it was done with the help of many locals. I personally am not too crazy about most of the NW part of Miami Dade county. It has too many bad areas and the few good areas are surrounded by bad areas. The SW part has a larger concentration of good to affluent areas.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM

The map you are talking about from this forum is the color coded one one google, correct? If so, that is where I got the yellow AKA OK/Average area. I dont think the area Im talking about is NW miami, is it? Its 2 blocks west of Biscayne, off of 123rd St. Isnt that NE Miami?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Yes, you are correct, that is the map. You are also correct in that that is NE and not NW. It is still close to the NW section that is one of the minus that the NE has. Your area in general is OK but it is close to some bad areas and if you have school aged children they might have to go to a bad school unless they went to private school. I personally would not live in that area. If you have to live around there then I would try to look into Miami Shores which is south of where you are looking. The schools, general appearance, and shopping is better and safer.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Kristy the area you are looking at is ok. It's not super nice, its not super bad either. It's an average area. What your opinion of average is we don't know, it may be different than our opinion of average. I was in Durham North Carolina driving past what they call the projects, and I was like that's an average neighborhood in Miami. Meaning their projects were really really nice, compared to the projects in Miami. When people speak of North Miami not being nice they are generally speaking about the areas just north of downtown, like Little Haiti, Hialeah and Allapattah. The whole Northeast or Northwest part of Miami gets wrapped together with a bad rap, yes there are many parts that aren't great. There are however some small nice pockets like San Souci just east of the the highway, Doral or Aventura. Already mentioned what happens in a lot of Miami is you will have a nice area next to a not so nice area. Coconut Grove is like this, and so crime spills over into the nice areas, just for the fact they are so close to a bad area. The next major street north of 136 is 163 street and that area isn't so great (I enjoy the Crispy Cream there btw).

I'm not super familiar with the area you are looking at, I have to drive through there every so often (so hence why I haven't responded to your posts). With that said, it looks like it would be an ok area to walk around, I might not do it at night alone (I don't live there so it could be ok). Like I already mentioned San Souci just to the east of where you are looking is pretty nice.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-01-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
That famous map is one of the most misleading maps ever produced. I only look at it as entertainment, nothing else.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM

Winterfront, what parts of the map don't you agree with. I would make some slight changes to it but overall it is not bad.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 PM

So winterfront, if you are saying the map is misleading, going back to my original question, how is this area? To the others who responded, my idea of average is to be able to walk to a shop or restaurant at night safely. I'm not expecting million dollar all white community.. Lol, diversity is great with me!!! My daughter is mixed I want it to be safe for us.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Kristy - You can check the crime from unincorporated parts of Miami on this web link. CrimeView Community (http://crimemaps.miamidade.gov/default.aspx - broken link) If North Miami is incorporated like many other areas of Miami-Dade (Coral Gables, Key Biscayne, Pinecrest, etc) then the crime in the area will not be listed as they don't put the crime rate on this site. So just because you don't see any crime in an area doesn't mean there isn't any crime.

I think they did a pretty good job with the map to use it as a guide.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM

Oooh Man, thanks doggiebus!! Now whats super funny, is south of me, seems to be more crime..and others maps said that was a better neighborhood...Oh Miami, your so confusing! LOL.. I figure it shoud be fine though, Im very close to Johnson Wales...and there just doesnt seem to be too much going on as far as these crime maps go...Im moving from Jersey, so its not like ive been sheltered my whole life..I know what its like to live in a city...Fingers crossed this neighborhood will be safe for us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami