Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:29 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times

Advertisements

It depends on what neighborhoods or areas of Miami you're in. In very Hispanic parts, this can be commonplace, where people are bilingual, but if a lot of the staff are Hispanic (and mostly 1st generation), they'll speak in Spanish. It's different for 2nd or 3rd generation Hispanics who most times prefer English but can speak Spanish depending on the circumstances.

Kids that are of Hispanic descent (Asian, White, Mestizo, Black, whatever) will speak English amongst themselves unless they're 1st generation. I think Spanish will eventually simmer out as the years go on and Miami receives less and less Hispanic immigrants, but I could be wrong. I think there will be a day when Miami will be mostly English, some day lol.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
It depends on what neighborhoods or areas of Miami you're in. In very Hispanic parts, this can be commonplace, where people are bilingual, but if a lot of the staff are Hispanic (and mostly 1st generation), they'll speak in Spanish. It's different for 2nd or 3rd generation Hispanics who most times prefer English but can speak Spanish depending on the circumstances.
The problem with this theory is that you have to be in an extremely nice part of Miami to only hear English and not Spanish. (Aventura, Deering Bay, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, Miami Shores, and Fisher Island ) Even then, it's not gauranteed. Most middle class areas and ALL lower class parts of Miami are Spanish only. Other heavily hispanic cities such as LA and San Diego do not have this much Spanish language infestation into the middle class domain - you won't hear Spanish at all in a hospital let alone having it be the language of choice by a majority of the staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
I think there will be a day when Miami will be mostly English, some day lol.
Current trends dictate otherwise.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post

Current trends dictate otherwise.
1920: We are going to be speaking German!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Being an American is all from the heart as well as a person who is a Christian,one loves his country as much as one loves God. It is where one's loyalty lies,one can live in America and have citizenship but in their own heart have tendencies for another country,whereas one who has citizenship here and wants to acclimate to their surrounding by speaking the language of this country and appreciates what this country stands for, I would deem them as a true American.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Most middle class areas and ALL lower class parts of Miami are Spanish only.
Do you mean mostly Spanish or only Spanish? I hear plenty of English in Westchester but mostly Spanish. Less but still some English on Calle Ocho.
Plenty of Spanish in S Miami or C Gables, but mostly English.

Quote:
Other heavily hispanic cities such as LA and San Diego do not have this much Spanish language infestation into the middle class domain - you won't hear Spanish at all in a hospital let alone having it be the language of choice by a majority of the staff.
The Hispanics in San Diego are a MUCH lower percentage of population and they tend to be poor. There ARE neighborhoods in SD (like parts of Chula Vista) that have a very high % of Mexicans, mostly "working class" but also a mix of middle class and poor folks, and there you do hear mostly Spanish.

My son was born in S Miami Hospital, daughter born at Scripps UTC in San Diego.
The only major difference was that instead of the nurses speaking Spanish in Miami (NEVER to us) the nurses in SD all spoke Filipino to each other! (Also, thankfully, NEVER to us! lol)

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-19-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 PM

That Englsih you heard on the radio on Calle Ocho and West-chester must have been on the radio.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
All those younger people who live in Westchester prefer English over Spanish, and lots of the 40-55 year olds who were raised partially in Cuba and partially in Miami are perfectly bilingual. You hear a LOT of Spanish in places like Westchester, Coral Terrace, Tamiami, etc. but most people there speak English as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
That Englsih you heard on the radio on Calle Ocho and West-chester must have been on the radio.
I believe the correct "Cuban" pronunciation of Westchester is Weh-chester! lol

Old 08-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
I believe the correct "Cuban" pronunciation of Westchester is Weh-chester! lol
Yea you got it.

Crisp - I think it is false that most people off of Flagler or Calle ocho speak English. Being able to mutter "yes" and "nooo" does mean someone can speak English.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:53 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
Do you seriously think nobody in those areas can speak english?!?!? What about the people that grew up there, the kids, and plenty of people that just learn english. Thats just another cynical view of yours. Ive been in a couple of places in Calle Ocho and spoke english only, in fact perfect english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami