Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 28,612 times

Advertisements

Do you know of or ever heard of an Edgewater hospital? The address I have shows a half-way house for drug abuse, however I am trying to find out if perhaps that was a hospital at one time. The address is 162 NE 49th Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,384 times
Default Edgewater Hospital

According to my birth certificate, I was born there in 1952.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:03 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,049,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Probably nobody remembers this thing, but at the "Kendall indian hammocks" park on sw 107'th avenue and between sunset and kendall drive sits the old building deterriorating along with the old shop where fire equipment was being repaired and stored. I noticed that the service facility is abandoned and torn apart inside, but the old hospital sits covered in vines and collapsing in the Florida weather. There's a rumor that everything there is going to be demolished. I remember the place as a kid, when we would go to the dump and I had sneaked into that old building sometime in the 80's. Is anyone else aware of the history and future of this site?
I do know that MDFR was using this area for their Urban search and rescue task force training...with the scent canines and all. They had built a simulator as well. If memory serves me correctly, that also used to be the site of the old fire st.9.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 27,975 times
Default Born at Edwater Hospital in 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaire54 View Post
Do you know of or ever heard of an Edgewater hospital? The address I have shows a half-way house for drug abuse, however I am trying to find out if perhaps that was a hospital at one time. The address is 162 NE 49th Street.

I was born in the Edgewater Hospital along with my sister and a few neighbors. My father was a doctor there that delivered over 470 babies.

[mod]Please use PM[/mod]

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-20-2009 at 07:13 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I am searching for an old Hospital that sat or still sits art 162 NE 49th street in Miami. It is called Edgewater Hospital, and could have been around in the 30's and 40's. My husband was born there in 1947. Could this be the same building?
I was born (52) in the Edgewater Hospital along with my sister (49) and a few neighbors. My father was a doctor there that delivered over 470 babies.

I was raised in Bay Point. I was was adopted. My mother was 16 and worked at Smith Brothers bar at 36 St and Miami Ave on the nw corner.

My father delivered me and then adopted me.

[mod]Please use PM[/mod]

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-20-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM

Default do u know who the doctor was

Quote:
Originally Posted by smadigan1 View Post
According to my birth certificate, I was born there in 1952.

Do you know who the doctor was.

[mod]Please use PM[/mod]

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-20-2009 at 07:14 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 9,047 times
Default Edgewater Hospital Miami Sabal Palm area

That Edgewater hospital located between 49th and 50th Street, just west of NE 2nd Ave, has been demolished for decades now. Sad memory for my family in 1951 (I was three). We used to live across the street. Mom gave birth to a healthy baby boy at full term, but he died within 24 hours. No reason given - he just "died". No one ever questioned doctors or procedures at that run-down old open-air building - that just wasn't done back then. How times have changed. Now Dr's get sued for abstract situations that are a real stretch to connect to a patient's perceived grievance. There were many good doctor's 60 years ago, but a bad one could literally get away with manslaughter. Thus, the Edgewater Hospital has always been - and will always be - the awful place where my brother lost his life.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 8,742 times
Default Edgewater Hospital

Quote:
I was also born in Edgewater Hospital (May 1950). I was adopted and when I was searching for info for birthmother(never found), was told that no such hospital ever existed in Florida, so I am very greatful to all who participated in this thread (rockitman, claire, and tomborninmiami).

Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,666 times
Default Edgewater Hospital Address

I was also born in Edgewater Hospital (Aug. 1950). The address on my birth certificate is 758 N.W. 81st Street, Miami, FL. According to the map, that address in no where near Kendall. Also, the physician that delivered me was Harold Edmunds whose address was 7501 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL. These two addresses are very close to each other, so I tend to believe that Edgewater Hospital was once located on 81st Street or, could there have been more than one hospital location, doubtful. It's been interesting to hear from others who were born at the same hospital, never really gave it any thought until today.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwd12209 View Post
I was also born in Edgewater Hospital (Aug. 1950). The address on my birth certificate is 758 N.W. 81st Street, Miami, FL. According to the map, that address in no where near Kendall. Also, the physician that delivered me was Harold Edmunds whose address was 7501 Biscayne Blvd., Miami, FL. These two addresses are very close to each other, so I tend to believe that Edgewater Hospital was once located on 81st Street or, could there have been more than one hospital location, doubtful. It's been interesting to hear from others who were born at the same hospital, never really gave it any thought until today.
I was also born in Edgewater Hospital in 1952. I always wondered where it was located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami