Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 09:41 AM

126 posts, read 219,612 times

Advertisements

https://miamidaily.life/blogs/lifest...imate-showdown

While vast differences still exist, they may have been more pronounced in the past. I believe the two areas are in the beginning stages of meeting more in the middle these days. The Grove is becoming more upscale with shops and Michelin Star restaurants etc. That bohemian feel is still touted but that was the Coconut Grove of decades past. Single family housing in The Grove is quickly becoming more upscale with the result of gentrification and rebuilds of existing homes. The Gables is catching up with more apartment/condo style housing options, especially in the downtown area. Many of the new food options that are popping up in Coral Gables are more of the casual nature, i.e. Bodega and Emmy Squared Pizza.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 09:51 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I find the Grove to be more “American”/mixed whereas the Gables is still predominantly Latino. As far as residents, the average age might be slightly older as well, including aged hippies. The folks who are into boating scene and the waterfront venues (Regatta, Bayshore Club) seem like more of the Boston Whaler crowd than the Riva/Ferretti yacht crowd.

The Gables has more restaurants, many reasonably priced by Miami standards. I liken the Gables to a La Jolla without the sea. I also like the jazz club scene in the Gables—be it the new Armstrongs or The Globe whereas Sospiro (a great wine bar) has live jazz on weekends).

Both areas are good for established adults with less posers and wannabes you will find in other parts of Miami. Both have their share of celebrities and successful people (Grove—Coach Spo, Arod, John Utendahl; Gables—JLo, etc).

Old 03-30-2024, 08:38 PM

17,116 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Interesting… I had no idea that JLo had a house in Coral Gables. There doesn’t seem to be much “privacy” for a celeb of her style there (diva, I’m all that.) Never saw any secluded gated areas out there.
Is it kind of like Huntington Beach in Cali, where it’s not uncommon to drive around random neighborhoods and see guys like M Shadows on their porch with friends having a poolside barbecue?

Old 03-30-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Interesting… I had no idea that JLo had a house in Coral Gables. There doesn’t seem to be much “privacy” for a celeb of her style there (diva, I’m all that.) Never saw any secluded gated areas out there.
Is it kind of like Huntington Beach in Cali, where it’s not uncommon to drive around random neighborhoods and see guys like M Shadows on their porch with friends having a poolside barbecue?
Not sure if she still has a house there but she is known to frequent Cafe Abracci from time to time. Lebron also when he comes to town. Pat Riley lives in one of the Gables waterfront communities (I believe Tahiti Beach) and Pharrell has a home there (Gables Estates).

Even though this was written by a realtor group, the following is another great article comparing Coral Gables and Coconut Grove:

https://www.condoblackbook.com/blog/...-coral-gables/

Last edited by elchevere; 03-30-2024 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-30-2024, 10:50 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
the historic Miracle Mile, a bustling shopping district with high-end boutiques, designer stores, and luxury retailers.

This hasn't been true in a long time, has it? Last time I was there, I saw a Men's Wearhouse and some bridal shops.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
This hasn't been true in a long time, has it? Last time I was there, I saw a Men's Wearhouse and some bridal shops.
I’d say it’s more restaurant driven and a bit more lively following the makeover a few years back. One would be more likely to find luxury stores a mile or two over at and near The Shops at Merrick Park.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:04 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
https://miamidaily.life/blogs/lifest...imate-showdown

While vast differences still exist, they may have been more pronounced in the past. I believe the two areas are in the beginning stages of meeting more in the middle these days. The Grove is becoming more upscale with shops and Michelin Star restaurants etc. That bohemian feel is still touted but that was the Coconut Grove of decades past. Single family housing in The Grove is quickly becoming more upscale with the result of gentrification and rebuilds of existing homes. The Gables is catching up with more apartment/condo style housing options, especially in the downtown area. Many of the new food options that are popping up in Coral Gables are more of the casual nature, i.e. Bodega and Emmy Squared Pizza.

Thoughts?
I prefer the Gables to the Grove. It has more "flavor". The Grove could be Summit, NJ - anywhere USA. Gables has more of a "Latin" vibe and the energy is more lively. Feel free to kick me in my teeth.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:15 PM

234 posts, read 387,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
The Grove could be Summit, NJ - anywhere USA. Gables has more of a "Latin" vibe and the energy is more lively.
Maybe if Summit, NJ was waterfront, surrounded by tropical vegetation, covered by a large tree canopy, and had peacocks walking around. The Grove is unique even for Miami, so to say it is anywhere USA is really missing the mark.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:48 PM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
Maybe if Summit, NJ was waterfront, surrounded by tropical vegetation, covered by a large tree canopy, and had peacocks walking around. The Grove is unique even for Miami, so to say it is anywhere USA is really missing the mark.
I almost wanted to buy this house in Bay Heights. (Until I saw the pool area. I can see why it’s been on the market for 400+ days.)

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M52280-54826

The door is my favorite kind of French blue, the exterior is so unique.

I love both Coconut Grove and Coral Gables because I am such a sucker for Spanish Revival architecture, older pre-war houses and tree canopy leafy streets. They are both non-cookie cutter and with their own unique characters.

I carry more spot spot for the Grove, 1: I like little village-like neighborhoods in big bustling cities ( for example: West Village and Nolita in NYC.) 2: The Grove Towers for the George Michael association (Careless Whisper video was shot on the top floor in 1984.) 3: The Grove seems (to me) to have more youthful energy, Fresh Market has to be one of the best locations (waterfront) for a supermarket. The peacocks add the personality and not to mention good omens.

Per Niche.com:

Coconut Grove median home price: $1.065 mil / median household income: $161,690 (No. 1 neighborhood in Miami.)

Coral Gables median home price: $952k / median household income: $118,203 (No. 1 suburb in Miami.)

The Grove all the way.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:32 AM

52 posts, read 118,918 times
I personally prefer the Grove however the fact that it is run by the city of Miami is a big strike. I have to give Coral Gables credit for being much better managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami