Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 05:20 PM

234 posts, read 387,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post

2: The Grove Towers for the George Michael association (Careless Whisper video was shot on the top floor in 1984.)
The Grove has lots of little connections to pop culture like this.

1) The Mutiny Hotel discussed in the Cocaine Cowboys documentary.
2) Vizcaya has appeared in many movies including The Money Pit, Any Given Sunday, Ace Ventura, and others.
3) The TV show Burn Notice was filmed in the Grove.
4) The movie Wild Things with Kevin Bacon, Denise Richards, and Matt Dillon was filmed on the Ransom Everglades campus and other locations in the Grove.
5) Sylvester Stallone and Madonna lived in the same section of the Grove near Vizcaya at the same time in the 90's.
5) Meet the Fockers was set in the Grove but filmed in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 06:05 PM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
The Grove has lots of little connections to pop culture like this.

1) The Mutiny Hotel discussed in the Cocaine Cowboys documentary.
2) Vizcaya has appeared in many movies including The Money Pit, Any Given Sunday, Ace Ventura, and others.
3) The TV show Burn Notice was filmed in the Grove.
4) The movie Wild Things with Kevin Bacon, Denise Richards, and Matt Dillon was filmed on the Ransom Everglades campus and other locations in the Grove.
5) Sylvester Stallone and Madonna lived in the same section of the Grove near Vizcaya at the same time in the 90's.
5) Meet the Fockers was set in the Grove but filmed in California.
I love this! Thank you for sharing and appreciate your cool knowledge.

I’ve seen Money Pit about 10 times, now I have to see it again. The same thing with Wild Things, I wonder where they shot in the Grove.

About movies/TV set in Miami/South Florida but filmed in CA:

I love this little thriller called Red Eye (dir: Wes Craven, starred Rachel McAdams and still fairly up-and-coming Cillian Murphy.) in which Brian Cox’s character lived in Miami (and supposedly Coral Gables.-looked it up, shot in Hancock Park in L.A with palm trees and stately Spanish houses.-very Miami.)

The new Apple TV series Palm Royal, set in Palm Beach in the ‘60s, and they did film a lot of Ocean Boulevard in Manalapan. My husband recognized the motel Kirsten Wiig’s character stayed “in West Palm Beach” was actually on Hollywood Boulevard in L.A. The palatial mansion Carol Burnett lived in the show was filmed in South Pasadena CA where I used to live.-L.A and South Florida/Miami do share quite a lot of palm tree/sunny coastal/Spanish Revival/resort glamour connection.

Another fun tidbit is this new mini series on Peacock called Apples Never Fall. (Sam Neill & Annette Bening) (I swear I actually don’t watch much TV but I have a weakness for shows & movies featuring beautiful houses.) The show was based in West Palm Beach but entirely shot in Australia. How funny.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:17 PM

234 posts, read 387,801 times
Quote:
I’ve seen Money Pit about 10 times, now I have to see it again. The same thing with Wild Things, I wonder where they shot in the Grove.
Vizcaya appears in the final scene of the Money Pit. Vizcaya is the home Tom Hanks' father purchases at the end of the movie.

The school scenes in the movie Wild Things are filmed at the upper school campus of Ransom Everglades in the Grove. I believe Matt Dillon's home in this movie is also in the Grove.

I forgot to mention that Dinner Key Marina is where Jim Morrison was arrested for indecent exposure during a concert he did there.

Old 04-03-2024, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny118 View Post
Vizcaya appears in the final scene of the Money Pit. Vizcaya is the home Tom Hanks' father purchases at the end of the movie.

The school scenes in the movie Wild Things are filmed at the upper school campus of Ransom Everglades in the Grove. I believe Matt Dillon's home in this movie is also in the Grove.

I forgot to mention that Dinner Key Marina is where Jim Morrison was arrested for indecent exposure during a concert he did there.
Very cool. Thank you. (I’m still new to Miami area.)

Now I wonder where they shot Teresa Russell’s (Denise Richards’ mom in Wild Thing.) mansion.

Old 04-04-2024, 06:55 AM

126 posts, read 219,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmrmustard View Post
I personally prefer the Grove however the fact that it is run by the city of Miami is a big strike. I have to give Coral Gables credit for being much better managed.

I absolutely took this into account when I was looking to buy. Although there is currently a bit of political upheaval at city hall with bickering commissioners, I agree that The Gables is much better managed.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:00 PM

19 posts, read 30,654 times
Quote:
Now I wonder where they shot Teresa Russell’s (Denise Richards’ mom in Wild Thing.) mansion.

It was on Star Island.

http://www.floridamovielocations.org/page41.html

Video tour of the house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL16X_u9LLc

Old 04-04-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisMcCarthy View Post
It was on Star Island.

Wildthings

Video tour of the house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL16X_u9LLc
Very cool. Thank you!

I love house p*rns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami