Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2006, 08:55 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,167,156 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with these areas in South Florida that knows if there is any such thing somewhere between York to Iridell Counties????????? Don't Shoot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 12:05 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,890 times
No, there is nothing like Coral Gables or Coconut Grove anywhere near Charlotte. Charlotte is traditionally a very conservative, very baptist city and they would frown down on areas as colorful and fun as Coconut Grove. Uptown Charlotte has some bars and some shopping but nothing on the level of Coconut Grove. If the upscale housing of Coral Gables is what you're looking for, consider the Myers Park area just outside of "Uptown" Charlotte or perhaps Ballantyne, a newer planned community in South Charlotte. Again, not as beautiful or as nice as Coral Gables.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Thank you TARP. I wish I could afford those areas, here or there but I'd love to be close to something like that with sidewalk cafes, a little nightlife, cutesy (?), trendy "stuff", even if it's just for window shopping distraction.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:32 PM

Franklin Street in downtown Chapel Hill has some nice nightlife, cute shops, and some sidewalk cafes. It's also a beautiful little college town. House prices are high in Chapel Hill, probably approaching the prices in Miami, but not as expensive as in Coconut Grove or Coral Gables. However it is a university town so you don't get that city vibe and international flavor of Miami!

With the FL house prices falling, why not just buy a condo with a water view in South Miami or maybe up near Aventura? Florida winters are incredible.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:45 PM

Well.....not only are the winters incredible but so are the homeowner's insurance rates and/or condo association fees. Condos don't work for me anymore due to all my 4 legged friends - need a yard and my other half must BBQ and have a "workshop" for all his "projects" that don't always actually materialize but sure make a mess!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,828 times
I just got back from visiting both Berewick, and Balyntine. Amazing how developers get the bug. The lot sizes are a joke, especialy in Berewick. They look like south Miami (below SR 836). There you could pass the catsup to your neighbor at your family BBQ without standing up and the HOA do not allow fences that allow privacy (only picket etc.). I live in PLantation FL and wanted to move up to a better lifestyle and cost only to find the Donald Trump of Charlotte "Mr. Papas" is no better than all the other low cost - high price developers. High prices, small lots, and house models that are 20,000 above what they list as "starting" prices. Yet the AH has the gaul to hold himself as the new community builder. To what? A future disgrace to builders "visions" which are not anything like true planners and urbanists want. We came back dissappointed and with a new perspective on the "great deals" in Charlotte NC, we will be looking elsewhere. There is nothng great about Charlotte unless you go to the older communities, buy resales, and do some fixing up. The new stuff is a rip off.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:24 AM

I totally agree. In general, however, new construction everywhere in this country is something I wish to avoid. Small lot sizes, shoddy construction, and high prices.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:21 AM

You know, I've been reading (and posting) here for the last couple of weeks or so. I started wanting new construction when and IF I could relocate to NC. I have an older home now that I bought 4 years ago and totally remodeled but I'm sick of the work, mess and expense so I didn't want to do that again. However....this forum has been making me reconsider the new construction notion and I think I would prefer something established (maybe 10 yrs tops). The RE news in Miami has me kind of depressed too. I bought high and have a lot of $$$$ into this house so I can't just give it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte