Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 09:56 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,321,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
the only way to really grow is not to mow down the Everglades just so we can build more mega mansions, but to build apartment buildings, co-operatives, and a few condos and office buildings.

Growth is not inevitable. It's being artificially imposed on us by public policy makers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 11:13 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Growth is not inevitable. It's being artificially imposed on us by public policy makers.
Right.

And there are some major issues that need to be addressed... Such as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
It'll become an American/Latin American Dubai.

I'm also interested to see the effect that the laws regarding foreign nationals buying property have on the city. I feel like half of the high rise condos sit empty because they're just places to park money.
Throwing up a bunch of huge towers is cool and all, and it looks pretty at night, but in order to keep the machine turning, the moving parts need to be well-oiled. Half-empty giant towers for foreign nationals do absolutely for the local residents who are the heart and soul of the city.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:40 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,662,707 times
^ well said, hopefully you won't get crucified like I do when I mention the same thing lol

Old 12-14-2023, 12:22 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
I’m comfortable with Miami being compared with and turning into not a Dubai but a Singapore—both attract well to do looking to escape outrageous taxes (Hong Kong for Singapore; Northeast, not just foreigners, for Miami). Miami has only gotten better in my 7+ years living here; no shortage of things to do. Even if SOME foreign nationals and/or U.S. transplants live here 1/2 the year they still pay property taxes, furnish their residences, dine out when here, buy cars, etc….I don’t see how that hurts and/or creates a “ghost town”—it doesn’t. Some, I guess, prefer the old Miami when it was a sleepy, more seasonal, less interesting city that also catered to elderly retirees on fixed incomes.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-14-2023 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-14-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I’m comfortable with Miami being compared with and turning into not a Dubai but a Singapore—both attract well to do looking to escape outrageous taxes (Hong Kong for Singapore; Northeast, not just foreigners, for Miami). Miami has only gotten better in my 7+ years living here; no shortage of things to do. Even if SOME foreign nationals and/or U.S. transplants live here 1/2 the year they still pay property taxes, furnish their residences, dine out when here, buy cars, etc….I don’t see how that hurts and/or creates a “ghost town”—it doesn’t. Some, I guess, prefer the old Miami when it was a sleepy, more seasonal, less interesting city that also catered to elderly retirees on fixed incomes.
Well you're in Brickell, in the shiny Miami that gets all of the attention. The severe neglect towards middle and lower class neighborhoods is more what I'm getting at.
The middle class parts of Miami look like total ****. It doesn't matter how many shiny towers get thrown up Downtown and in Brickell. It looks cool, but what about the other 90% of the city?

Old 12-14-2023, 12:57 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,325,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Right.

And there are some major issues that need to be addressed... Such as:

Throwing up a bunch of huge towers is cool and all, and it looks pretty at night, but in order to keep the machine turning, the moving parts need to be well-oiled. Half-empty giant towers for foreign nationals do absolutely for the local residents who are the heart and soul of the city.
I thought for a minute you were describing the towers going up on billionaire row in NY that sit empty and serve as piggy banks for foreign buyers.

Old 12-14-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
And full of deadly car jackings and cocaine wars. The good 'ole days of Miami!

Old 12-14-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I thought for a minute you were describing the towers going up on billionaire row in NY that sit empty and serve as piggy banks for foreign buyers.
I visit NYC quite often, and avoid that area like the plague.

Quite similar.

Old 12-14-2023, 01:05 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Well you're in Brickell, in the shiny Miami that gets all of the attention. The severe neglect towards middle and lower class neighborhoods is more what I'm getting at.
The middle class parts of Miami look like total ****. It doesn't matter how many shiny towers get thrown up Downtown and in Brickell. It looks cool, but what about the other 90% of the city?
Last I checked Coconut Grove, Coral Gables (including its various neighborhoods), Edgewater, Midtown/Design District, Key Biscayne, most areas of Miami Beach, Bal Harbour South Miami, Pinecrest, Cutler Bay, etc aren’t too shabby and stretch for miles but some on CD think there are only 1-2 nice neighborhoods in all of Miami Dade.

A better argument would be to divide Miami into coastal v inland , haves v have nots (with some exceptions in both cases), yet even that is not that different than other U.S. cities in which the more desirable communities tend to be on or very close to the water. Then there’s the argument to be made some of the neighborhoods you describe (and, no, not 90% of Miami Dade either) have their share of residents who refuse to learn English and then complain about lower wages. Gee, I wonder why. Maybe their neighborhoods “look like total ****” for a reason. Do LA, NYC, SF Bay Area, Chicago and others have “gleaming” lower income neighborhoods or it’s just Miami that has impoverished, poorly maintained neighborhoods??

Last edited by elchevere; 12-14-2023 at 01:16 PM..

Old 12-14-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Last I checked Coconut Grove, Coral Gables (including its various neighborhoods), Edgewater, Midtown/Design District, Key Biscayne, most areas of Miami Beach, Bal Harbour South Miami, Pinecrest, etc aren’t too shabby but some on CD think there are only 1-2 nice neighborhoods in all of Miami Dade.

A better argument would be to divide Miami into coastal v inland (with some exceptions), yet even that is not that different than other U.S. cities in which the more desirable communities tend to be on or very close to the water. Then there’s the argument to be made some of the neighborhoods you describe (and, no, not 90% of Miami Dade either) have their share of residents who refuse to learn English and then complain about lower wages. Gee, I wonder why. Maybe their neighborhoods “look like total ****” for a reason.
I am also a fan of Miami Shores, parts of Little Haiti, and North Beach. I drove all over Miami this past weekend just cruising with the sunroof open and I am always in awe how many distinct nabes there are and how pretty. Special place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami