Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 09:48 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Miami is booming...it's desireable for businesses, and the affluent...but not the poor and middle class...generally speaking.

Poor & middle class people are getting pushed out; economically.

Same thing happens in every boomtown during its growth phases.

There's no stopping it, but if complaining about it makes you feel better then, if it feels good...do it.

The Op never asnwered why they stay in Miami since they don't like it. Maybe it was due to work, but will they stay there after retirement? Or maybe family ties keep them there.

Most affluent people living in Miami are lovin' it, so the Op is an outlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 10:24 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

The Op never asnwered why they stay in Miami since they don't like it. Maybe it was due to work, but will they stay there after retirement? Or maybe family ties keep them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Lots missed

[...]

Trying to seal deals before year end, I'm retiring after that. Sadly will have to go back to Miami to take care of my wife's parents. I'll still post here and see if my contacts will provide me scoops, but it's been a hell of a run, I need to relax now lol.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:54 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There is inflation and there is greed. I returned about six months ago from a trip where we spent a couple of days in South Florida. Never again. The cheapest hotel rooms were $150.00. Dinner out for two people? Better plan on $75 to $100.

Nothing costs like this in the rest of the country. Its not inflation. Its a bunch of merchants that have dollar signs in their eyes and are determined to exploit tourists for every nickel and dime they can make. I won't be back if I can help it. That's despite the fact I genuinely liked South Beach.
Trying staying in the Hamptons if you're looking for a more affordable beach vacation.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:58 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Trying staying in the Hamptons if you're looking for a more affordable beach vacation.
you cannot get a nice hotel in Rio for $150….maybe try Medellin…or Allapattah.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-05-2023 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-05-2023, 02:38 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Miami is booming...it's desireable for businesses, and the affluent...but not the poor and middle class...generally speaking.

Poor & middle class people are getting pushed out; economically.

Same thing happens in every boomtown during its growth phases.

There's no stopping it, but if complaining about it makes you feel better then, if it feels good...do it.

Just because I'm the most vocal on here, does not mean I'm the only "outlier" lol.

So hilarious how this forum always finds ways to attack me for posting life experiences/opinions and how I give another perspective that's different from Miami getting propped up as a utopia. A little realism never hurts, unless it's on this forum, apparently.

Old 12-05-2023, 03:20 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Just because I'm the most vocal on here, does not mean I'm the only "outlier" lol.

So hilarious how this forum always finds ways to attack me for posting life experiences/opinions and how I give another perspective that's different from Miami getting propped up as a utopia. A little realism never hurts, unless it's on this forum, apparently.
When I asked you a few days ago why you stay in Miami if you dislike it so much, I wasn't attacking you, I was just curious. Sorry you have to stay in a place you don't like. Too bad you can't move your parents to one of the other cities that you enjoy, I know that's difficult to do with the elderly.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:03 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
When I asked you a few days ago why you stay in Miami if you dislike it so much, I wasn't attacking you, I was just curious. Sorry you have to stay in a place you don't like. Too bad you can't move your parents to one of the other cities that you enjoy, I know that's difficult to do with the elderly.
To be transparent, they love it here and I will never displace them. They escaped communist Cuba and made a living in Miami, and from that, I met my amazing wife.

Ironically, my wife truly hates Miami, I like it more than her, even though I think it's still overhyped/overrated. She's talked about taking them back to Cuba to live out their last moments, mentioned Canada ( I said no, the cold will be uncomfortable for them) so we'll be here until the day comes when both are gone. After that, not even sure if we'll be returning to Quebec, we're done with the language politics + I'm retiring from my work, Ironically, attracting mainly English companies to move there or expand (finally, no longer my problem).

Life is strange like that lol but even at our age, there's always suprises. Maybe we'll just travel the world for years on end now, it'll be nice... thinking somewhere in Europe as a start.

Old 12-11-2023, 03:31 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
Miami has only 36 sq. mi. to work with, unlike Boston, which has 48 sq. mi., DC with it's 62. sq. mi., and Tampa, which is about over 100 sq. mi. It's best to build more multi-family houses and co-operatives at this point, as well as erect more condos and luxury apartments.

FL isn't MA, CT, NY, or CA, it's a middle class state, and while certain areas such as South Beach, Downtown Miami, Brickell, Edgewater, and Coconut Grove are upper class enclaves, the soul of the city belies in communities such as Little Havana, Little Haiti, and Liberty City like it or not. Those communities should be preserved and even expanded with mid-rise housing within those communities because it looks like the days of having a one or two story house closer to Downtown Miami are numbered.

As for edge cities like Hialeah, at the very least, Hialeah could afford to build a few high rises since although Downtown Hialeah is close to MIA, the flight patterns do not fly through much of Hialeah. Not saying that Hialeah needs a 1,000 ft monolith in it's city center, but it does need to reconsider the residential zoning for a moderate density to a much higher density in Downtown Hialeah.

It's tough to tear down a lot of houses, but if Hialeah wants to grow into a bigger population, it needs to build more mid-rise apartment buildings, co-operatives, and even a few condos within the city center, as well as reconsider adding stops on the Metrorail system at Red Rd & 8th Ave and even extending a branch along Red Rd and W 68th St to Beacon Station.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:32 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
if Hialeah wants to grow into a bigger population

Why would they want that? It would be a lot better for them to keep a stable population and let everybody have some space.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:16 PM

836 posts, read 850,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Why would they want that? It would be a lot better for them to keep a stable population and let everybody have some space.
It seems like every locale in South FL such as Pembroke Pines, Davie, Weston, Miramar, Miami Gardens, Doral, Sweetwater, and Kendall is growing except for Hialeah. I get it, Hialeah doesn't want to really grow, but I'm also thinking that Hialeah doesn't want to decline as well, even though it's had a small decline for two decades (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hialea...a#Demographics). A lot of the younger folks that was either born or grew up in Hialeah have moved out either to Miami, other parts of South FL, to SW FL, or to other parts of the US.

It's best that Hialeah has moderate, not rapid, but moderate growth, and maybe even diversify the housing stock within that city because Hialeah can't just be another glorified suburban city, and because South FL is wedged between the Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean, the only way to really grow is not to mow down the Everglades just so we can build more mega mansions, but to build apartment buildings, co-operatives, and a few condos and office buildings. It's up to Hialeah to decide what it's destiny is going to be, but it's just my suggestion that Hialeah can be stable, as well as foster healthy, smart growth for the near and distant future along with Miami-Dade and South FL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami