Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 09:07 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Homeless on SoBe is horrible, inland too is worse.

I don't know why they tolerate any bums at all on Ocean Drive, but overall homeless camps are almost non-existent compared to most American cities, especially the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 03:34 PM

415 posts, read 650,856 times
Anyone who actually believes that residents actually have to spend 80% of their income on housing doesn't understand how statistics or housing work.

To use the median (as in middle) SINGLE FAMILY HOME value and compare that to the median (again as in middle) income clearly shows no understanding of Miami. There are only 500k single family homes in Miami-Dade County. However there are 1M households. That means single family homes only need be affordable to the top 50%. That is the middle up. And therefore the single family homebuyer is really in the 75th percentile in terms of income.

This is a slight of hand trick that conflates SINGLE FAMILY HOMES with housing. Imagine if you went to NY and singled out just single family homes. If you look at the data they are using they are saying the median home in Miami is $615k which is true if you were talking about SINGLE FAMILY HOMES ONLY. Meanwhile they say the median house in NY is $795k which clearly ISN'T a detached single family home.

So they are effectively saying the median household has to pay 80% to own a detached single family house in Miami while in NY you have to spend 67% of you income to own ANYWHERE.

In Miami once you factor in condo and townhomes the median drops down to $400k and then if you include Broward the median condo and townhome drops down to $269k. So if you look at HOUSING and not just single family homes the median income would need to spend about 40% of their income on housing much less than NY.

And this goes to my point in another thread where Miami has a clear path forward to maintain better housing options compared to NY. The Article highlights that:

Quote:
Two of the top five least affordable housing markets became more expensive this month – Los Angeles, CA, and New York City, NY.
That is becuase NY can't build their way out of this. The area is so dense and land cost are so high that any new development only effectively INCREASES the cost of housing by replacing older buildings with more expensive newer ones.

Meanwhile in Miami we can simply build high rise after highrise for the next 100 years. Sure at some point we would run up against the same issue as NY but that isn't going to happen in our lifetime or our childrens lifetime either.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:48 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
^someone is forgetting that incomes (on average) are much lower in Miami/FL than NYC and LA, for example, so the burden is felt much more. No **** if someone moves there with NY money, it'll be a bargin (there's also more demand to be in NYC, the epicentre of the whole world). Condos are very expensive if you want to live in a desirable area, obviously it gets cheaper outside those areas.... until NYers start gentrifying the **** out of poor areas.

And no, Miami cannot build endless highrises for the next 100 years, the infrastructure is hardly keeping up with the recent boom lol. I know you're excited about the current boom and want to boast the city, but time to come back to earth

Last edited by Yac; 12-05-2023 at 11:24 PM..

Old 12-05-2023, 07:57 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,323,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
Anyone who actually believes that residents actually have to spend 80% of their income on housing doesn't understand how statistics or housing work.

To use the median (as in middle) SINGLE FAMILY HOME value and compare that to the median (again as in middle) income clearly shows no understanding of Miami. There are only 500k single family homes in Miami-Dade County. However there are 1M households. That means single family homes only need be affordable to the top 50%. That is the middle up. And therefore the single family homebuyer is really in the 75th percentile in terms of income.

This is a slight of hand trick that conflates SINGLE FAMILY HOMES with housing. Imagine if you went to NY and singled out just single family homes. If you look at the data they are using they are saying the median home in Miami is $615k which is true if you were talking about SINGLE FAMILY HOMES ONLY. Meanwhile they say the median house in NY is $795k which clearly ISN'T a detached single family home.

So they are effectively saying the median household has to pay 80% to own a detached single family house in Miami while in NY you have to spend 67% of you income to own ANYWHERE.

In Miami once you factor in condo and townhomes the median drops down to $400k and then if you include Broward the median condo and townhome drops down to $269k. So if you look at HOUSING and not just single family homes the median income would need to spend about 40% of their income on housing much less than NY.

And this goes to my point in another thread where Miami has a clear path forward to maintain better housing options compared to NY. The Article highlights that:

That is becuase NY can't build their way out of this. The area is so dense and land cost are so high that any new development only effectively INCREASES the cost of housing by replacing older buildings with more expensive newer ones.

Meanwhile in Miami we can simply build high rise after highrise for the next 100 years. Sure at some point we would run up against the same issue as NY but that isn't going to happen in our lifetime or our childrens lifetime either.
I am happy to pay a bit more to live in Miami with great weather and a much lower threat of anti-semtic aggression. NY is not such the bastion of tolerance. https://www.thedailybeast.com/we-nee...rk-city-school

Old 12-05-2023, 08:11 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
There is inflation and there is greed. I returned about six months ago from a trip where we spent a couple of days in South Florida. Never again. The cheapest hotel rooms were $150.00. Dinner out for two people? Better plan on $75 to $100.

Nothing costs like this in the rest of the country. Its not inflation. Its a bunch of merchants that have dollar signs in their eyes and are determined to exploit tourists for every nickel and dime they can make. I won't be back if I can help it. That's despite the fact I genuinely liked South Beach.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There is inflation and there is greed. I returned about six months ago from a trip where we spent a couple of days in South Florida. Never again. The cheapest hotel rooms were $150.00. Dinner out for two people? Better plan on $75 to $100.

Nothing costs like this in the rest of the country. Its not inflation. Its a bunch of merchants that have dollar signs in their eyes and are determined to exploit tourists for every nickel and dime they can make. I won't be back if I can help it. That's despite the fact I genuinely liked South Beach.
I was in NY in October and stayed at a hotel in the Flatiron. It was over $400 for the night with all the fees. Food prices are exorbitant in NY as well. The $150 hotel you quote and the $75 to $100 for dinner for two people sounds like a bargain. In NY plan on spending at least that per person.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:19 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Quote:

You’ve not been to NYC, CA and elsewhere if you think $150 for a hotel and $75-100 for a couple at a restaurant other than a restaurant chain like Olive Garden or Applebee’s is exclusive to Miami, let alone outrageous. If you want to talk about $50 for a drink on Ocean Drive or bottle service prices/minimums, that’s another matter.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-05-2023 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-05-2023, 08:28 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:

sounds cheap to me and I don't like cheap.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
sounds cheap to me and I don't like cheap.
$150 a night hotel on Sobe might have had bed bugs.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:47 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
$150 a night hotel on Sobe might have had bed bugs.
Or be a front for prostitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami