Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 01:00 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,530,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
a 15 minute drive to beach.
But nowhere to park once you get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 04:25 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
But nowhere to park once you get there.
I always find parking on 23rd or 46th next Eden Roc. If I go to South Pointe or Lummus Park I bike.

Old 11-18-2023, 04:31 PM

367 posts, read 304,624 times
Inflation or increase in cost of living?

Since Miami doesn’t print its own currency, it cannot create inflation.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:28 AM

415 posts, read 651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
Funny seeing this, yet Miami is following similar patters that S.F/NYC have before their mass exodus' happened. Only difference is those cities are truly established (obviously, since they're old). In-flow of capital is always needed, but Miami's reliance on "unlimited" growth and trickle-down economics will not benefit people in the long term.

Poverty rates have gone up, along with the income gap, so again, wondering the long term implications of this. Seems like there's a lot of simps for the ultra wealthy going to Miami/Florida on this form, but when majority of the population do not benefit, there's no reason to celebrate (and this is coming from a 1% er)
Funny that the biggest hater is calling people simps. Miami's poverty rate hase gone down not up.

So we've got poverty rates going down and median household income going up and somehow this is a bad thing.

The reality is that wealthy people moving in are pushing local people out. This isn't the end of the world as it effectively makes Miami like Manhattan and people with lower incomes will either have to live in smaller outdated accomodations or live in s suburb like pembroke pines and commute.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

Besides COVID, the 2017 Tax Reform Act is attracting folks to Miami/SoFLA and even with the increase in COL it still remains a bargain relative to other, comparable coastal cities (newer buildings, more square footage, more building amenities, less issues plaguing than those other cities). Until / if the issues noted above hit Miami I will continue to call it home.
Also consider if you are making a six figure income in Miam you will be taxed between 27% and 35% where as in a place like NY you would be taxed between 35% and 45%.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Yes of course there is a point where the cost/benefit would not make sense and then I would move again as I did when I left NY. But, at this time even with the price increases here I am still paying less than I did in NY for a lifestyle much more in alignment with my sensibilities. If Miami becomes unsustainable I would look to another emerging location or maybe go abroad. I am not locked in to anything. Ultimately, Miami's price increases are a natural outcome of the migration and the maturing of the city. Things will level off at some point and from there I will have to access if it still makes sense.
It's already happening. Rents have already leveled off. The article points this out but I doubt most the people complaining even read it.

Quote:
But there’s a lag between the shelter component in government inflation data and real-time rents, so it’s very likely inflation in Miami and Tampa will fall in coming months
We have a huge amount of supply on the rental/condo side coming to market. We also have an endless amount of land to build new rentals/condos on. This will keep prices in check relative to places like NYC that have no land.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:58 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post
It's already happening. Rents have already leveled off. The article points this out but I doubt most the people complaining even read it.

We have a huge amount of supply on the rental/condo side coming to market. We also have an endless amount of land to build new rentals/condos on. This will keep prices in check relative to places like NYC that have no land.
The rental stock coming online in Miami is going to bring some rent relief as Miami will a bit oversupplied with these deliveries hitting around the same time. There will be some decent rental deals to be had in Wynwood with free rent being offered. The condo side I think is a bit different as most of the stock being delivered is luxury product and won't provide much relief to home buyers. However, I do see some signs that home prices are dipping a bit; not a lot. Mostly for the commodity product.

Old 11-20-2023, 09:44 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Quote:
Also consider if you are making a six figure income in Miam you will be taxed between 27% and 35% where as in a place like NY you would be taxed between 35% and 45%.
Transplant tech exec friend of mine from SF also shares this analogy: Miami is to NYC as Singapore is to Hong Kong. In other words, more and more high earners from NYC metro live in Miami minimum 6 months and 1 day to establish FL residency for tax savings purposes the same way high earners from Hong Kong do with Singapore.

Quote:
people with lower incomes will either have to live in smaller outdated accomodations or live in s suburb like pembroke pines and commute.
And/or moving to other less expensive parts of FL and/or out of state to better align their incomes with lower COL.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-20-2023 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-20-2023, 09:49 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,661,232 times
Quote:
Funny that the biggest hater is calling people simps. Miami's poverty rate hase gone down not up.

So we've got poverty rates going down and median household income going up and somehow this is a bad thing.

The reality is that wealthy people moving in are pushing local people out. This isn't the end of the world as it effectively makes Miami like Manhattan and people with lower incomes will either have to live in smaller outdated accomodations or live in s suburb like pembroke pines and commute.
City of Miami has a poverty rate of 21% vs the national average of 12.6%, I wouldn't be celebrating that. Income gap is the worst in the U.S...

Also lol.. "hater", please tell me how I'm "hating", unless the facts are hurting your feelings/mirage of the city.

Old 11-20-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
City of Miami has a poverty rate of 21% vs the national average of 12.6%, I wouldn't be celebrating that. Income gap is the worst in the U.S...

Also lol.. "hater", please tell me how I'm "hating", unless the facts are hurting your feelings/mirage of the city.
That is the City of Miami. Take a look at the city limits on a map. They are arbitray and singling out just the city makes no sense for a metropolatin area.

The poverty rate for Miami (the entire county) is 15.7%. I agree it is higher than the national average but it has ALWAYS been this way. The gap between the national aveage and Miami is DECREASING as again the rate is goind down not up.

You are not stating facts. Again you said the poverty rate is going up when its going down. So please explain how the poverty rate going down (FACT) is a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami