Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 09:22 AM

1,260 posts, read 945,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Why do stores and restaurants in Miami blast their air conditioning? Don't they know that people like hot humid air?
Actually one thing I do hate about here I see a lot, especially places like Lincoln Road, are the stores with the AC cranked all the way up and the door to outside just completely open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 07:24 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
I just got back from England. They had the hottest temp ever recorded. I think we hit 101 in Manchester. Homes caught fire, a runway melted at small airport and they cancelled train service to not over load the grid. Restaurants didn't have A/C, homes don't have A/C, its crazy over there. We went to a grocery store and a freezer broke and they had they retractable blinds covering all the refrigerated stuff to preserve the coolers. Basically, they are not cut out for the heat and not ready. The day before was supposed to be 'super duper hot' and it was only 94 degrees. We laughed. We saw people panic buying waters and stuff, cleaning out grocery stores. We went out to eat, went shopping at an outdoor mall. Just like they laughed at us for golfing in the 'cold' (62 degrees), we laughed at them for 'staying in doors or you'll die outside' news reports!

Old 07-23-2022, 02:26 PM

94 posts, read 104,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I just got back from England. They had the hottest temp ever recorded. I think we hit 101 in Manchester. Homes caught fire, a runway melted at small airport and they cancelled train service to not over load the grid. Restaurants didn't have A/C, homes don't have A/C, its crazy over there. We went to a grocery store and a freezer broke and they had they retractable blinds covering all the refrigerated stuff to preserve the coolers. Basically, they are not cut out for the heat and not ready. The day before was supposed to be 'super duper hot' and it was only 94 degrees. We laughed. We saw people panic buying waters and stuff, cleaning out grocery stores. We went out to eat, went shopping at an outdoor mall. Just like they laughed at us for golfing in the 'cold' (62 degrees), we laughed at them for 'staying in doors or you'll die outside' news reports!
WTH why would houses catch fire and a runway melt in 101 degrees? We get that up north in America, too and it doesn't cause concrete to "melt." What are they building out of?

Old 07-26-2022, 03:03 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlitwanderer View Post
WTH why would houses catch fire and a runway melt in 101 degrees? We get that up north in America, too and it doesn't cause concrete to "melt." What are they building out of?
There was a fire in a field and it spread to a village.

The runway melting - i have no idea, its just crazy. The train tracks had to be polished with some shiny silverly looking paste to prevent melting too.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:46 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Here we are heading into late August and a much drier summer has continued (no jinx)….transplants who moved here within the past 2 years got a mild summer last year and a relatively dry summer (so far) this year.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:38 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,496,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Here we are heading into late August and a much drier summer has continued (no jinx)….transplants who moved here within the past 2 years got a mild summer last year and a relatively dry summer (so far) this year.
It is a strange summer. A couple of months ago we had a lot of afternoon rain now we have only a few late afternoon drizzles in Miami. It is hot, hazy and humid. Looks like we might get some rain in a little while.

Old 08-20-2022, 09:55 AM

126 posts, read 219,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I am in NY now! It's awful! No air movement. Stagnant moist air. Far worse than Miami. And the odors. Oh dear.

One thing I was pleasantly surprised at after moving here is what seems to me to be continuous breezes anywhere within a few miles of the coast. I'm in downtown Coral Gables and there is a consistent movement of air even on warm days that make it much more bearable... sometimes downright pleasant.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
One thing I was pleasantly surprised at after moving here is what seems to me to be continuous breezes anywhere within a few miles of the coast. I'm in downtown Coral Gables and there is a consistent movement of air even on warm days that make it much more bearable... sometimes downright pleasant.
You should stop spreading truthful information….doomsayers might start getting the impression Miami is habitable for more than 2 months out of the year and move here, crowding the place even more.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-20-2022 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-22-2022, 07:06 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,325,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
This is my first summer here and that breeze has been an amazing surprise! I did a trip to NY a few weeks ago, it was awful compared to Miami weather. This week just got back from Savannah. Ungodly humid. I couldn't wait to return to Miami. The hype about the Miami summers being too hot is a little over played. Maybe locals doing that to dissuade us from moving here. ;-) Now the winters up north, that's real! Long, dark and cold. I will take these Miami summers quite easily.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
This is my first summer here and that breeze has been an amazing surprise! I did a trip to NY a few weeks ago, it was awful compared to Miami weather. This week just got back from Savannah. Ungodly humid. I couldn't wait to return to Miami. The hype about the Miami summers being too hot is a little over played. Maybe locals doing that to dissuade us from moving here. ;-) Now the winters up north, that's real! Long, dark and cold. I will take these Miami summers quite easily.
Yeah…below is a common, outdated 1980’s mindset post about Miami weather I deal with / respond to on the CD General US and city v city forums. Post below is from a New England poster.

Statistically, he’s not far off but fails to take into account the breezes (natural air conditioning) AND partial cloud coverage most of the summer days which makes a HUGE difference—at least on and near the coast. The days without breezes and any clouds are the worst days here—but those days are usually no longer than 2 or 3 consecutive days at most and maybe twice a month, meaning the remaining 24-27 days of the month you and others describe are tolerable bordering on outright enjoyable. It’s almost the direct opposite of a SoCal “Santa Ana”—where you might get 2 three day periods in which warm winds from the desert push temperatures into the 70’s in the winter but the remaining 24-25 days can feel quite chilly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
May to September, Miami is 70% relative humidity. 90F and humid, you’re stuck in air conditioning. Miami for weather is the snowbird view.
Another poster brought up mosquitoes….even those are far less of an issue, non factor to be honest, than I originally feared. You should go to Long Island in the summer—not only do you have to deal with mosquitoes but those nasty biting green flies are as bad or worse.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-22-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami