Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 03:18 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,996 times

Advertisements

Krome Avenue in Miami is just a rural street through trees and nothingness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM

439 posts, read 1,748,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
That may be true up north but farther south there is more out that way. Krome is 177th Ave. Homestead General Airport is on 217th ave -- 40 streets further West.
It's a part of town that I'm NEVER in.

I thought Krome had the designation of like 208th Ave or something to that extent around Tamiami.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
it's kind of scenic tho. Somehow.
Just about as scenic as US27 and Alligator Alley.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona25 View Post
Just about as scenic as US27 and Alligator Alley.
Well, anything can be scenic if you use your imagination

Just try to focus on the road at the same time, though.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM

Old Cutler Road is one of the most scenic roads in Miami IMO. It's extremely beautiful and picturesque.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Old Cutler Road is one of the most scenic roads in Miami IMO. It's extremely beautiful and picturesque.
Yes, largely because of the big beautiful trees. Imagine how much nicer the rest of Miami would look if people planted big trees. Of course houses are built now with only 5' of property around them so there isn't much room for a tree, let alone a big tree.
I wish the county had planted more trees like the ones on Old Cutler after Hurricane Andrew instead of the plam trees they planted. Plam trees don't offer any shade.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:33 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Yes, largely because of the big beautiful trees. Imagine how much nicer the rest of Miami would look if people planted big trees. Of course houses are built now with only 5' of property around them so there isn't much room for a tree, let alone a big tree.
I wish the county had planted more trees like the ones on Old Cutler after Hurricane Andrew instead of the plam trees they planted. Plam trees don't offer any shade.
I completely agree. I LOVE Old Cutler Rd!

Unfortunately, many of those trees are banyans and they are not the best types of trees to plant in areas prone to tropical storms. Banyans and ficus have very shallow root systems. When the ground becomes very moist and you add some wind, you've got a tree that can go down very easily. There were lots of these trees down after Katrina and Wilma in '05 in the Pinecrest area.

Palm trees, on the other hand, were built for tropical storms because they offer very little wind resistance, swaying instead of toppling. I'm sure the county doesn't want to have to buy new trees every several years because the pretty ones fall over every time there is a tropical storm or hurricane (although, they did plant some crepe myrtles near my parents' neighborhood, and those things were constantly being replanted). Not to mention I'm sure someone at the county is in cahoots with the palm tree farm down in Homestead.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 AM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times
Yeah no kidding...that's my pet peeve. Don't get me wrong, I love palm trees and I think it's a plus of living down here and having them in the scenery. But when you have them unnecessarily planted in a 15 foot wide median planter while you're stuck in traffic, I can't help but think how that could've been another lane to help alleviate traffic.

Or you also see them planted in groups of threes along every highway like at off/on ramps. I got into the wrong business, should've saved up to buy a nursery and started meeting county commisioners. And then you have teachers who's salaries/benefits are being cut but i'm sure the palm tree guy isn't getting his business altered. Best scam in south florida....

Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Well, anything can be scenic if you use your imagination

Just try to focus on the road at the same time, though.
Very true...I don't drive those roads very frequently though.

Beeline Highway in PBC/Martin and Southern Blvd. can be just as scenic. Just depends on what part you're on.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:51 PM

Well I personally like having trees and green spaces and don't want to live in a concrete paradise, so I'm glad Miami does plant those palms in the median.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami