Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 PM

142 posts, read 132,735 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the FLL forum, as IDEALLY I think I'd like to live in Broward, but where would people suggest would be the safest, nicest, fun place to live for 34yr old SWF professional, without a terribly awful commute? People in the other forum said East Hollywood, but I am wondering what other options there could be, as others were stating the commute would be a nightmare. I'm not opposed to living in Dade, I would just ideally like to be less inland (although I've heard Pembroke Pines is nice, but even when I throw that into Google Maps, though half the mileage, still says 20 min with normal traffic, whereas a 16 mile hike to East Hollywood says 26 min .. why would that be?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 05:30 AM

874 posts, read 905,443 times
What do you like to do for fun? Honestly Miami Lakes itself actually has a lot of fun bars and restaurants, and the downtown is actually reasonably walkable. The Miami Lakes Ale House has a great salsa night on Thursdays.

Driving to East Hollywood willl be mostly highway, whereas going to Pembroke Pines is going to be more on local roads. Pembroke Pines is also more suburban... I don't see what you'd gain by going there over staying in Miami Lakes.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:41 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,375,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Driving to East Hollywood willl be mostly highway, whereas going to Pembroke Pines is going to be more on local roads. Pembroke Pines is also more suburban... I don't see what you'd gain by going there over staying in Miami Lakes.
Demographics are a lot different, that's for sure.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:53 AM

142 posts, read 132,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Demographics are a lot different, that's for sure.
Yeah I mean, I am a midwest white bread suburbian blonde so keep that in mind. I'm not going to be happy in a 100% spanish speaking neighborhood. What are the difference in demographics between Miami Lakes and Pembroke?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:32 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Yeah I mean, I am a midwest white bread suburbian blonde so keep that in mind. I'm not going to be happy in a 100% spanish speaking neighborhood. What are the difference in demographics between Miami Lakes and Pembroke?
South Florida has a lot of Spanish speakers. Pines will have a lot, but less than Miami. If you want a more "American" feel, definitely Pines. And Ann's comment about Pines being more local roads is utterly ridiculous.... I-75 is a major highway.... that goes from Pines right to Miami Lakes... And you would almost certainly decide on a home near I-75.

To be fair, Miami Lakes is not a bad area at all. I think you would prefer Broward from your comments, though. And what's the worse case? You live in Broward and stay or decide later you might want to live in Miami. But I'd bet you stay in Broward...

Old 06-21-2017, 04:21 PM

874 posts, read 905,443 times
Marc, let's be honest... when was the last time that you went OUT to have fun in Pembroke Pines? It sounds like she's young and doesn't want to live in a book. That's much more Miami Lakes than Pembroke Pines. And Miami Lakes is a lot closer to the beach, Aventura, Wynwood, Brickell, Midtown. Those are the places my 40something friends tend to go out.

Admittedly, I do go to Pembroke when I want a book.

And Pines Boulevard when you get off of 75 is pretty slow, unless she lives in Century Village... and she's far too young for that!

Old 06-21-2017, 06:20 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,375,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Marc, let's be honest... when was the last time that you went OUT to have fun in Pembroke Pines?
Lol I live off Biscayne now and before that lived Downtown Miami & South Beach...I only go to Pines to go to Trader Joe's lol.

Remember she asked about an area in Broward with a easy commute to Miami Lakes in a non-spanish dominated area. That would be Pines.

Like the person above said, you take i-75 and hop off and go home to nice areas like Pelican Point (walk to Trader Joe's).

If I worked in Miami Lakes, I would live in Miami Beach/Sunny Isles Beach. When I worked in Doral, we lived in South Beach. When my wife worked in Homestead, we lived in South Beach....so my answer is always move to the beach. Las Olas is cool so I'd live there as well without a doubt. If I could afford a house behind Rocco's Tacos in Colee Hammock, I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 PM

798 posts, read 1,465,981 times
The best place to live is Palm Springs North which is the neighborhood adjacent to Miami Lakes.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,487,696 times
Quote:
Remember she asked about an area in Broward with a easy commute to Miami Lakes in a non-spanish dominated area.

Great post Marc.
We need to give advice based on what the OP is looking for.
Not what makes sense for someone else.

The OP describes herself as a "Blonde whitebread non-spanish speaking Midwesterner".
As someone who fit that exact description years ago, I can firmly state that the Miami area would absolutely not be a good fit for her.
South Florida is the polar opposite of the Midwest, especially the Miami area.
Maybe in time, when she gets acclimated, Miami might work, but not when she initially lands here.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 06-22-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 06:09 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,651,747 times
Quote:
Lol I live off Biscayne now and before that lived Downtown Miami & South Beach...I only go to Pines to go to Trader Joe's lol.

Remember she asked about an area in Broward with a easy commute to Miami Lakes in a non-spanish dominated area. That would be Pines.

Like the person above said, you take i-75 and hop off and go home to nice areas like Pelican Point (walk to Trader Joe's).

If I worked in Miami Lakes, I would live in Miami Beach/Sunny Isles Beach. When I worked in Doral, we lived in South Beach. When my wife worked in Homestead, we lived in South Beach....so my answer is always move to the beach. Las Olas is cool so I'd live there as well without a doubt. If I could afford a house behind Rocco's Tacos in Colee Hammock, I'd buy one in a heart beat.
Pines is exactly the area based on her comments. Glad you are a realtor that actually understands the needs of clients.

But apparently Pines is just Century Village. Mind you the endless apartment communities with younger renters, outdoor spots like Pembroke Gardens and the countless areas like the Hard Rock, Las Olas, Himmarshee, Hollywood Broadwalk, Young Circle, etc. etc. etc. to hang out in Broward. But yeah, midwestern blonde girls just flock to Wynwood SMH.

There is events, restaurants, nightclubs, etc. all over Pines. Ann wouldn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami