Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:07 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
endless apartment communities with younger renters, outdoor spots like Pembroke Gardens and the countless areas like the Hard Rock, Las Olas, Himmarshee, Hollywood Broadwalk, Young Circle, etc. etc. etc. to hang out in Broward.

There is events, restaurants, nightclubs, etc. all over Pines.

OP it sounds like Pines is a great fit for you!
Keep us posted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 AM

142 posts, read 131,850 times
Cf and BN .... I love you both ha. You literally both just made me lol at my desk.

And thank you for taking me and who I am into account. I completely agree. I'm going to have total culture shock at first and maybe I can eventually immerse myself in it, but probably best to do incrementally rather than diving right in and then telling my employer sorry, as I bury my head and drive back home Northwest to my comforts.

I will definitely keep everyone posted once I work out the details of the job offer. I'm guessing this will all come to fruition around end of July/beginning of August.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:36 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBlondie View Post
Cf and BN .... I love you both ha. You literally both just made me lol at my desk.

And thank you for taking me and who I am into account. I completely agree. I'm going to have total culture shock at first and maybe I can eventually immerse myself in it, but probably best to do incrementally rather than diving right in and then telling my employer sorry, as I bury my head and drive back home Northwest to my comforts.

I will definitely keep everyone posted once I work out the details of the job offer. I'm guessing this will all come to fruition around end of July/beginning of August.
Maybe a little culture shock at work in Miami. But west Broward, while still a lot of Spanish speaking residents, is pretty "normal" in a sense you will probably quite like it and feel comfortable. It's not in your face like Miami, at all.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Good luck OP!
Can't wait to hear how the interview goes.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:46 PM

142 posts, read 131,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Good luck OP!
Can't wait to hear how the interview goes.
Thank you!!!

They are flying me down on Monday for it. I'm pretty much 100% confident I will get an offer, so it will all come down to negotiations after that. Finger crossed I'll be hitting you all up in a few weeks when it's do-or-die where-to-live decision time!

In the meantime I will continue to research Pembroke because I'm getting a good feeling about it.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you!!!

They are flying me down on Monday for it. I'm pretty much 100% confident I will get an offer, so it will all come down to negotiations after that. Finger crossed I'll be hitting you all up in a few weeks when it's do-or-die where-to-live decision time!

In the meantime I will continue to research Pembroke because I'm getting a good feeling about it.
Just keep in mind you want WEST Pembroke Pines. Probably around Hiatus road and west. East is practically a totally different city. Drive around a lot and see if it's for you. You may even consider the western part of Miramar like St Andrews, Enclave, and Aventine near Pembroke/Flamingo though other parts of Miramar won't be to your liking - these are right on the border and practically Pembroke Pines anyways.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:08 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:

I'm telling you, Pelican Point is a great little community in West Pines that you can walk to Trader Joes and other places as well as get on i-75 very easily. There are 2 3-Bedroom townhomes with garages for $2000 and 1 2-bedroom townhome with a garage for $1800. If a non-garage unit hits the market, you can probably get that for $1600 or so. Its gated and they have a nice pool/community area.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I'm telling you, Pelican Point is a great little community in West Pines that you can walk to Trader Joes and other places as well as get on i-75 very easily. There are 2 3-Bedroom townhomes with garages for $2000 and 1 2-bedroom townhome with a garage for $1800. If a non-garage unit hits the market, you can probably get that for $1600 or so. Its gated and they have a nice pool/community area.
OP said her max is $1500 - any other suggestions in case this one is too expensive?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:13 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Pines is exactly the area based on her comments. Glad you are a realtor that actually understands the needs of clients.

But apparently Pines is just Century Village. Mind you the endless apartment communities with younger renters, outdoor spots like Pembroke Gardens and the countless areas like the Hard Rock, Las Olas, Himmarshee, Hollywood Broadwalk, Young Circle, etc. etc. etc. to hang out in Broward. But yeah, midwestern blonde girls just flock to Wynwood SMH.

There is events, restaurants, nightclubs, etc. all over Pines. Ann wouldn't know.
Yes, I try to always listen and not express any biases.

Isn't there a popular bar like Iguana Pines or something that's always on the radio with great happy hours and ladies nights?

Plus, you bring up the culture shock. Miami Lakes would be a major culture shock! There is very little English spoken 'regularly' . Sure its more affluent in sections, but like when we relocated to Doral for our jobs in 2010 while we looked for a home in Sobe, it was a MAJOR culture shock. I remember walking into the publix near LA Fitness and the sample person, the deli person, and cashier all only spoke Spanish to me. My employees told me i should live in Doral so I don't have a commute but we got out of there quick and went to South Beach where English is the dominant language. Sure most people are from somewhere else, but they all spoke English. Miami Lakes would be like that in many places.

There's also Davie and Plantation. Sure they aren't known for their night scene but we have 'american girl' friends that grew up there and still live there and went out drinking plenty of nights and wasn't driving to Las Olas or South Beach I can assure you that! (in fact, they never cross the dade county line!)

Old 06-23-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Yes, I try to always listen and not express any biases.

Isn't there a popular bar like Iguana Pines or something that's always on the radio with great happy hours and ladies nights?

Plus, you bring up the culture shock. Miami Lakes would be a major culture shock! There is very little English spoken 'regularly' . Sure its more affluent in sections, but like when we relocated to Doral for our jobs in 2010 while we looked for a home in Sobe, it was a MAJOR culture shock. I remember walking into the publix near LA Fitness and the sample person, the deli person, and cashier all only spoke Spanish to me. My employees told me i should live in Doral so I don't have a commute but we got out of there quick and went to South Beach where English is the dominant language. Sure most people are from somewhere else, but they all spoke English. Miami Lakes would be like that in many places.

There's also Davie and Plantation. Sure they aren't known for their night scene but we have 'american girl' friends that grew up there and still live there and went out drinking plenty of nights and wasn't driving to Las Olas or South Beach I can assure you that! (in fact, they never cross the dade county line!)
You are thinking of Cafe Iguana. To be p.c. - let's just say I don't think it's her crowd.

Davie and Plantation would be nice for her, but the commute isn't ideal to Miami.

Another realtor on this forum, you know who, always seems to think everyone who moves here, speaks no Spanish, should still move to Doral. And they just don't get that to most people, it's not a pleasant culture shock. There is a reason so many live in west Broward and commute to Doral. Like you said, everyone will default to Spanish and that's not comfortable for English speakers. In that area, it's not uncommon to have retail/customer service people who ONLY speak Spanish... and everywhere you go, you have to constantly respond in English and break that barrier. It sucks and certainly not somewhere I'd want to live as an English only speaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami