Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 12:38 PM

345 posts, read 269,292 times

Advertisements

Just a question, from Europe, so important is the retail/customer service language? When I go to convenience mini-markets, that are run by people from Pakistan that must know 10 words in Spanish. you only need some gestuality and they'll find out what you are looking for. The closest cafeteria is ran by an English gay that purports to speaks the Queen's English, and only her mother consort understand him...I just point my delicate finger to a croissant,,and alas, the croissant is served.

Chinese shops-in which they sell everything- they might know 50 Spanish words..but you see people convoluting and explaining and there's no problem.

What people speak in a myriad of languages while you are under the effects of four Voll Damm, I could not care less. I don't think they are spies out to kill me...

In fact, I prefer people speaking languages I don't understand and not having to listen gossips in Catalan during hours skinning some friend, as was in the past.

But it seems that some Americans do need to establish some freudian relation with their rack jobber in English!!! Fascinating!!

And then, another says that he does not like to be surrounded by non-blonde people...out of the blue, I was thrown back to a Star Trek episode....we are surrounded by real mccoy blonds and brunettes, slavics and ethnic minorities and they don't bite each other!!! You seem to have very parochial people that ceased to exist generations ago around this corners.

Last edited by papuolo; 06-24-2017 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 02:09 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,203,395 times
This is going to be a very useful map for you. You can graphically look at Miami-Dade and Broward neighborhoods by census tract and look for areas with the right mix of white non-hispanics you feel comfortable with.

Areas of Miami with census tracts over 50% white non-hispanic include Miami Shores, Miami Beach, Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach. These are all great areas to live but budget may be a problem. The white non-hispanic areas in Miami-Dade are the rich expensive areas.

Now, Pembroke Pines and Miramar are tricky. There are areas that are almost entirely black and hispanic and are basically suburban ghettos. Be Careful.

Also, this is from 2010 Census. It's gotten worse in Broward since then. A lot worse.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,638,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
Just a question, from Europe, so important is the retail/customer service language? When I go to convenience mini-markets, that are run by people from Pakistan that must know 10 words in Spanish. you only need some gestuality and they'll find out what you are looking for. The closest cafeteria is ran by an English gay that purports to speaks the Queen's English, and only her mother consort understand him...I just point my delicate finger to a croissant,,and alas, the croissant is served.

Chinese shops-in which they sell everything- they might know 50 Spanish words..but you see people convoluting and explaining and there's no problem.

What people speak in a myriad of languages while you are under the effects of four Voll Damm, I could not care less. I don't think they are spies out to kill me...

In fact, I prefer people speaking languages I don't understand and not having to listen gossips in Catalan during hours skinning some friend, as was in the past.

But it seems that some Americans do need to establish some freudian relation with their rack jobber in English!!! Fascinating!!

And then, another says that he does not like to be surrounded by non-blonde people...out of the blue, I was thrown back to a Star Trek episode....we are surrounded by real mccoy blonds and brunettes, slavics and ethnic minorities and they don't bite each other!!! You seem to have very parochial people that ceased to exist generations ago around this corners.
You Euro's just love any opportunity you can get to try and bash Americans. Bravo. Focus on your own problems, of which there are many.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:12 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Quote:
another says that he does not like to be surrounded by non-blonde people...out of the blue...we are surrounded by real mccoy blonds and brunettes, slavics and ethnic minorities
Where did anyone say they don't want to be surrounded by non-blonde people??

It's quite common for people to want to live around others like them, that they feel they have things in common with. Especially when moving to a new state. It doesn't mean they have anything against others.
It doesn't mean they don't want anything to do with those who are different.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:02 AM

874 posts, read 901,085 times
Quote:

There are Americans who feel perfectly comfortable living in a multiracial, multiethnic society. I'm one of them, and you'll see I'm the one encouraging her to move to Broward.

It so happens as the single, white, 40something commenter in the group I went to Pembroke Pines on Saturday night. Honestly, I was thinking how happy I was that I spend most of my time in Miami because of how boring it was. Sorry, I'll leave the suburbia to the folks with kids.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
There are Americans who feel perfectly comfortable living in a multiracial, multiethnic society. I'm one of them, and you'll see I'm the one encouraging her to move to Broward.

It so happens as the single, white, 40something commenter in the group I went to Pembroke Pines on Saturday night. Honestly, I was thinking how happy I was that I spend most of my time in Miami because of how boring it was. Sorry, I'll leave the suburbia to the folks with kids.
Because Miami Lakes and Doral are such happening places...

Old 06-26-2017, 07:27 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Quote:
There are Americans who feel perfectly comfortable living in a multiracial, multiethnic society.

How is it that there are areas in NYC: Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreantown, Little Australia... in Miami there's Little Havana, everyone knows Sunny Isles has many Russians, Aventura and Boca Raton have heavy Jewish populations....it's far from uncommon for people to stick together and there's nothing wrong with it.
There's no need to be snarky to the OP for knowing what she prefers, even though it's not what you want.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Because Miami Lakes and Doral are such happening places...
Actually... go check out the Miami Lakes ale house on a Thursday night... packed. I'm also fond of Ana Capri and Shulas.

In Doral there are even more places, Dragonfly, Bulla, Doral Ale House, Carolina Ale House, Kona Grill, Coopers Hawk. I'm not even coming up with half the names.

Just because you don't go out to these places doesn't mean they don't exist. Doral isn't just cows and townhomes any more, it's transformed in the past 3 years.

In the years I've lived here, and considering all the places I go, I've never had a single problem with crime.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
How is it that there are areas in NYC: Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreantown, Little Australia... in Miami there's Little Havana, everyone knows Sunny Isles has many Russians, Aventura and Boca Raton have heavy Jewish populations....it's far from uncommon for people to stick together and there's nothing wrong with it.
There's no need to be snarky to the OP for knowing what she prefers, even though it's not what you want.
I'm not saying all ethnic enclaves are bad... as a matter of fact I've lived in several: Indian, Venezuelan, Salvadoran. They frequently have great restaurants and I enjoy going to the "exotic" grocery stores.

But the other poster was talking about how some Americans don't want to live in a multiethnic society... and I just wanted to point out we're not ALL like that.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Actually... go check out the Miami Lakes ale house on a Thursday night... packed. I'm also fond of Ana Capri and Shulas.

In Doral there are even more places, Dragonfly, Bulla, Doral Ale House, Carolina Ale House, Kona Grill, Coopers Hawk. I'm not even coming up with half the names.

Just because you don't go out to these places doesn't mean they don't exist. Doral isn't just cows and townhomes any more, it's transformed in the past 3 years.

In the years I've lived here, and considering all the places I go, I've never had a single problem with crime.
This is exactly the point. Your "happening" is the Ale House? Most Ale Houses are packed, including the one in, PINES. Visit Pembroke Gardens and it's all sorts of restaurants are packed. And there is a Carolina Ale house up the street in Weston. In fact, Thursday night is Bike Night at the Hooters in Pines. Huge crowds.

I just don't get how you say Pines is boring then talk about the Ale House in Miami Lakes having customers... you can't be serious! I would turn that back on you. Just because you don't actually know anything about Pines doesn't mean happening and entertaining places don't exist in Pines.

You said you are glad you spend all your time in Miami because of how boring Pines is and your super fun Miami example is the Ale House in Miami Lakes? You must see the absurdity, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami