Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:46 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

Yeah, we all value our space.

I always shake my head when a complete stranger takes the treadmill next to me when there are 20 other open machines (you can’t take the one 2 over, you have to be right on top of me??)...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arekusu View Post
IMO a lot of people hate Miami because they love Miami, but hate everything they have to deal with to live here (and they're frustrated because they can't change those things they hate). It's a very love/hate thing most people have with living here.

I believe the single most thing that contributes to the hate is the traffic and the way people drive out here. There are days where it seems like all out lawlessness. I've been seeing more and more people in Jeeps and trucks going over medians, grassy areas, etc. to get to where they are going. There are way too many people who simply refuse to "accept" the traffic issue, and still want to drive like all out a$$holes to try and "avoid" the congestion (it's futile).

I also here a lot of people say "there's just too many people here." Yes, but you are also "one of those people" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
as stated earlier in this thread, one of the reasons that contributes to 'hatred' or dislike are the drivers. I almost get hit by a car as a pedestrian on a weekly basis.

I got hit by a dry cleaner van when I was walking in the parking lot circle of my condo yesterday. The s*hmuk was driving too fast around a circle and was not even looking straight ahead nor paying attention when he went into me. Fortunately, he was not going THAT fast, he hit his brakes fairly quickly, and I am very athletic and agile and was not injured in the incident. (A small child or elderly person would not have been as fortunate as I was).

He happened to catch me on a good day and I forced a "lo siento" out of him. He is very lucky as my bad mood days often outnumber my good mood days and had he caught me on a bad mood day I definitely would have pressed his insurance company for compensation for soreness (my building has him hitting me on video) and I would have called I.C.E and INS and asked that they perform a background check on him. I let it go--next prick who hits me with a motor vehicle while I am walking will definitely not find me as forgiving or compassionate.
^^^I am so glad that you are ok....

I lived in south Florida for more than 40 years. I moved back to Indiana after I retired. My observations about people in Miami really hit home after I had moved back to my birthplace in the Midwest. Such a difference.

I lived and worked in the southern half of Miami Dade County. People always seem to be in a hurry with little regard for others in their vicinity. Example: driving without turn signals, turning in front of someone, going through a doorway and letting the door shut behind them and in front of the person walking directly behind. Meetings,,,,,,,ha ha, always started late due to attendees not being on time.

High cost of living and salaries for so many people, not enough to live well here. The Miami effect: Hey you live in 'paradise', suck it up and get a second or third job. Quiet in some ways due to language difficulties. Lack of much sense of humor, again due to language problems.

Here in Lafayette, Indiana I get the general vibe that people are happy, calm, polite and friendly. I guess Hoosier hospitality still exists. There are lots of decent paying jobs and a variety of opportunities: manufacturing, tech, agriculture, higher education, research. Many of the jobs in the Miami area are in the service and hospitality field. The vibe in Miami: hectic, chaotic, stressed, hurry, hurry, hurry.

Last edited by popcorn247; 06-22-2018 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 12:20 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
Sorry, but do stay in Indiana . Ya Hear ???????

The more that leave here, the better !!!!

Old 06-22-2018, 12:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
Sorry, but do stay in Indiana . Ya Hear ???????

The more that leave here, the better !!!!
Love your attitude! It's soooo Miami! (Your inclination to say something nasty) No worries, you couldn't drag me back to that he!!hole! Enjoy!

Last edited by popcorn247; 06-22-2018 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 01:55 PM

You said the unnecessary word, about the place where I live (Since 1988) and love !!!

Shame on You.

(My inclination to say something nasty is in your Indiana brains)

Last edited by Hammocks Bum; 06-22-2018 at 02:04 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 05:15 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
popcorn247 wrote a well thought out post with no insults or condescending attitudes. All true too. Hammocks Bum, your reply was a little rude when you added the Ya Hear? Can tell it's a jab to the midwest. Miamians like to dish it out but can't seem to take it without getting offended. I can't disagree with anything popcorn said, and yet, I still don't feel offended. I don't see any word in the post that is offensive.

As to arekusu's comment about being one of the people here and yet complaining about too many people - I for one have been here since the 60's. I knew Miami before it was overcrowded. I knew Miami when there were no issues driving. Up until the early 80's I'd say it was still okay. I knew Miami back when it was a laid back friendly place - like Lafayette, IN, popcorn247.

It's soooooo not like the Miami I knew and loved now. Mostly because of the people and their me first and the world only revolves around me because I'm so important attitudes. Just because there are alot of people, doesn't mean they have to have this horrible attitude. It get exponentially worse when they get in their cars. The lawlessness that is our highways now is sickening and pathetic.

I can't wait to find a place like Miami was 30 or 40 years ago but elderly parents keep us here - for now...

Old 06-22-2018, 05:59 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
as stated earlier in this thread, one of the reasons that contributes to 'hatred' or dislike are the drivers. I almost get hit by a car as a pedestrian on a weekly basis.

I got hit by a dry cleaner van when I was walking in the parking lot circle of my condo yesterday. The s*hmuk was driving too fast around a circle and was not even looking straight ahead nor paying attention when he went into me. Fortunately, he was not going THAT fast, he hit his brakes fairly quickly, and I am very athletic and agile and was not injured in the incident. (A small child or elderly person would not have been as fortunate as I was).

He happened to catch me on a good day and I forced a "lo siento" out of him. He is very lucky as my bad mood days often outnumber my good mood days and had he caught me on a bad mood day I definitely would have pressed his insurance company for compensation for soreness (my building has him hitting me on video) and I would have called I.C.E and INS and asked that they perform a background check on him. I let it go--next prick who hits me with a motor vehicle while I am walking will definitely not find me as forgiving or compassionate.
You are too nice.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:26 AM

All The Miami HATERS, that live here. LEAVE TOWN... What are you doinn' here ???

Ya'all HEAR THAT ???

Old 06-23-2018, 06:34 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
All The Miami HATERS, that live here. LEAVE TOWN... What are you doinn' here ???

Ya'all HEAR THAT ???
In some cases, if they had money, they'd put their money where their mouth is, but they don't.

In other cases, they just complain. Period. Regardless of external circumstances. So with or without money, in or out of Miami, they would complain, complain, complain, because that's simply what they do.

Either way, no, they can't or won't hear you, so don't hold your breath!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:07 AM

TRue.....I retired several years ago...My last job right before I went on permanent vacation was 17 yrs at the same place, (Here in Miami) before that all thru my life I changed jobs/careers many times because MAINLY of having to go to work 40 + hrs a week and not being happy at a particular employer.

My philosophy has been all my life, be happy where you live, where you work and all things fall into place.

Some jobs also lasted long periods of time...I moved out of Queens NY in 1973( I hated NY and got out of there before i went nuts) , relocated to The Clearwater Area until 1988 when we moved to Miami, here ever since.

To me Florida it's HEAVEN, and if and probably I move out of here, it will still be Florida, never out of The Sunshine State.

I worked with lots of young people when I was getting ready to retire and all those with unhappy faces and attitudes, I coached to go work somewhere else, making their life and their peers impossible it's not living.

There are situations where doing one or the other (changing Jobs, changing geographical locations) It's hard to do..Just keep up the faith and before you know it you'll be at where you wanna be in life.

Just don't get frustrated with traffic, with co workers, with life..And if need be., ACT....complaining NEVER resolves a thing.

Gone from this thread for EVER !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami