Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 AM

378 posts, read 487,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Well, I think that's a lesson in doing your research befre committing to and enrolling in a college/university. Make sure their credits transfer.
If only it were that easy

You can't find out if credits transfer until you register as a student and pay to have your transcripts sent over. Even then most schools have a method to evaluate credits that don't automatically transfer, which Miami-Dade did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:38 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,633,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I am in between you and BNBR on this.

Miami does have plenty of good restaurants--especially Italian, Spanish, Peruvian, steak and seafood. French is also good. There are definite cuisines lacking (either quality and/or quantity)--Chinese, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern (especially Persian), Indian.....holding out comment on Greek until I have had a chance to dine at Mandolin Aegean, Boho and/or Estiatorio Milos....ate at a good NY deli last week in SoBe, Hank and Harry's--great pastrami sandwich.

Mexican?--have yet to find a great one, let alone Mexico City or Baja cuisine. Please provide recommendations for me to try. Cuban?--I have been to Havana 10 times and have yet to find a place in Miami as good as some of the places I ate at in Cuba (La Cocina de Liliam, La Guarida, La Casa, etc. etc.) which I find surprising....looking for good Southern cuisine like I can find in Savannah or Charleston--recommendations, please.
Great Mexican? Home style and simple, I like Las Fajitas (Boca). For fine dining Mexican, Eduardo De San Angel in Pompano. I found Eduardo De San Angel to be on par, if not better than, Topolobampo.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Some people prefer other parts of Florida instead.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:51 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations...got some places to check out.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:38 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
I've lived here for 2 years and love it! The only thing I don't like are the panhandlers at most major intersections.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:00 PM

798 posts, read 1,460,434 times
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
all over the Internet I see people hating on Miami.

don't you guys got a nice beach to swim in?
what about some good food?
affordable housing? (believe me, it's affordable, I live in LA lolz).

I can understand some of the negatives... like humidity & bugs.

but i was just curious to know why Miami and FL in general is hated on.
It's the people. Rude ppl. Period. A clash of cultures, refugees abusing the system, covert racism, etc. bla bla bla.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:23 AM

139 posts, read 127,067 times
BtW is not outsiders who hate the city,but the same people who populate it!

Crazy drivers honking horns among other rude things.. Lol

Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 AM

378 posts, read 487,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
BtW is not outsiders who hate the city,but the same people who populate it!

Crazy drivers honking horns among other rude things.. Lol
A lot of people in Miami just don't know how to drive, so my wife and I were those horn honkers

-Making a right hand turn - Must come to a complete stop/crawl to do so
-Getting on the on-ramp to one of the highways, but only do 15-20mph to the very end before finally speeding up, but then still do 10mph less than the speed limit
-While on the highway, if it begins to sprinkle then slow down to 20mph
-Approaching a round about with no traffic - must come to a complete stop for several minutes
-In the leftmost lane of 3 lanes of traffic and need to make an immediate right turn, no problem - who cares about those other cars
-Remain stopped at a red light even though we are in a turning lane and traffic is clear (A "No Turn on Red" sign was not present)

Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I am in between you and BNBR on this.

Miami does have plenty of good restaurants--especially Italian, Spanish, Peruvian, steak and seafood. French is also good. There are definite cuisines lacking (either quality and/or quantity)--Chinese, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern (especially Persian), Indian.....holding out comment on Greek until I have had a chance to dine at Mandolin Aegean, Boho and/or Estiatorio Milos....ate at a good NY deli last week in SoBe, Hank and Harry's--great pastrami sandwich.

Mexican?--have yet to find a great one, let alone Mexico City or Baja cuisine. Please provide recommendations for me to try. Cuban?--I have been to Havana 10 times and have yet to find a place in Miami as good as some of the places I ate at in Cuba (La Cocina de Liliam, La Guarida, La Casa, etc. etc.) which I find surprising....looking for good Southern cuisine like I can find in Savannah or Charleston--recommendations, please.

I've been to most paladares and state restaurants in Havana, and really, any Miami Cuban restaurant beats them to smitherins. Problems are wholesalers, restaurants are forced to steal from the state and rely on the black market. Ingredients sometimes disappear no matter how much you pay....and..in the case of state restaurants....employees steal foodstuffs to survive. Havana has the strangest restaurant, the best German restaurant in America at the Panorama Hotel, no longer exists, the best Spanish restaurant with the best paella in the continent, etc...good Chinese, good Cuban pizzas, but Cuban food is lacking.....after 50 years they don't even know what a frita is, that was the most common food.

The US should papmper their own cuisine - Cuban and Tex Mex are now American cuisine, as well as American Chinese, American Japanese, and forget about foreign and exotic restaurants that will be only be a pale reflection of those countries. For example, quite impossible to have a good Spanish restaurant, even potatoes are different, olive oils costs a fortune, no ingredients.

Last edited by karstic; 04-16-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Old 06-14-2018, 01:27 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Finally made it to Eduardo de San Angel in FLL last night...very good meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Great Mexican? Home style and simple, I like Las Fajitas (Boca). For fine dining Mexican, Eduardo De San Angel in Pompano. I found Eduardo De San Angel to be on par, if not better than, Topolobampo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami