Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times

Advertisements

Go to Homestead and Florida City for authentic Mexican fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 PM

378 posts, read 487,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Mexican?--have yet to find a great one, let alone Mexico City or Baja cuisine
Ernestos at US1 and Caribbean was one of our go to spots for Mexican.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:12 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
I am in between you and BNBR on this.

Miami does have plenty of good restaurants--especially Italian, Spanish, Peruvian, steak and seafood. French is also good. There are definite cuisines lacking (either quality and/or quantity)--Chinese, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern (especially Persian), Indian.....holding out comment on Greek until I have had a chance to dine at Mandolin Aegean, Boho and/or Estiatorio Milos....ate at a good NY deli last week in SoBe, Hank and Harry's--great pastrami sandwich.

Mexican?--have yet to find a great one, let alone Mexico City or Baja cuisine. Please provide recommendations for me to try. Cuban?--I have been to Havana 10 times and have yet to find a place in Miami as good as some of the places I ate at in Cuba (La Cocina de Liliam, La Guarida, La Casa, etc. etc.) which I find surprising....looking for good Southern cuisine like I can find in Savannah or Charleston--recommendations, please.
For Indian, I've heard this place in N. Miami is the best in all of South Florida: Zaika Indian Restaurant

Vietnamese is catching on but its more predominant in Orlando in the 'little vietnam' area. Although Basilic, right across the street from me in North Miami, has had great reviews. There are also some 'Pho' places popping up but I don't care for their cuisine (or Indian or Greek) so I can't help you on that front.

Rocco's in FTL is still my fav for Mexican in S. Florida but I know, its not Miami. I also don't like soft corn tortillas so 'authentic' Mexican only has some dishes that appeal to me, not others. I've heard the Farmer's market near Knauss Berry Farms has very authentic Mexican fare, but its a very far drive for you.

With regards to restaurants in Miami, yes You need to be Between Coral Gables & Aventura to really enjoy all these great restaurants we have.

Doral CityPlace recently opened and a Coopers Hawk just opened there. Curious to see how that does since it really thrives in the Orlando Suburbs. But I think the wine club/wine focus will work in Doral since its a more affluent area.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I couldn't disagree more. South Florida has loads and loads of fantastic restaurants that span nearly all genres. Some of the best in the country. Heck, we have one of the top rated (if not the absolute best) Japanese restaurants in the United States (NAOE). The authentic Italian options are some of the best I've experienced anywhere as well. You just need to get out and explore a little more. Mexican, Cuban, Thai, Seafood, BBQ, you name it, we have top notch spots.
You may see the variety in Downtown Miami/Miami Beach which for us in south miami/cutler bay was not ideal due to the commute (45-90 minutes each way).

Old 04-04-2017, 06:32 PM

One other item I forgot to add, but may not apply to everyone is Miami-Dade College.

While living in Brevard county I finally convinced my wife to go get her degree which she did part time for two years at Eastern Florida. When she transferred to Miami-Dade they only accepted 9-12 credits out of the 30+ she had, after months of trying to get the remaining credits transferred she gave up

When we moved back to Orlando she was able to get all of the credits transferred from Eastern Florida to Valencia (She did have to submit a form for some that didn't automatically transfer which took less than a week to approve), and only 3 of the 6-9 credits from Miami-Dade could be transferred.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Lousy downtown core, rude people, humid and warm weather and flat

Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
One other item I forgot to add, but may not apply to everyone is Miami-Dade College.

While living in Brevard county I finally convinced my wife to go get her degree which she did part time for two years at Eastern Florida. When she transferred to Miami-Dade they only accepted 9-12 credits out of the 30+ she had, after months of trying to get the remaining credits transferred she gave up

When we moved back to Orlando she was able to get all of the credits transferred from Eastern Florida to Valencia (She did have to submit a form for some that didn't automatically transfer which took less than a week to approve), and only 3 of the 6-9 credits from Miami-Dade could be transferred.
Well, I think that's a lesson in doing your research befre committing to and enrolling in a college/university. Make sure their credits transfer.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
...looking for good Southern cuisine like I can find in Savannah or Charleston--recommendations, please.
You aren't going to find this in South Florida. As a southerner, and a native Charlestonian at that, it doesn't exist here.

And before someone mentions Yardbird, while the fried chicken is excellent, mac and cheese and bourbon on a menu doesn't make is southern.

Shuck N Dive is excellent creole/cajun but it isn't southern.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:57 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Quote:
I am in between you and BNBR on this.

Miami does have plenty of good restaurants--especially Italian, Spanish, Peruvian, steak and seafood. French is also good. There are definite cuisines lacking (either quality and/or quantity)--Chinese, Vietnamese, Middle Eastern (especially Persian), Indian.....holding out comment on Greek until I have had a chance to dine at Mandolin Aegean, Boho and/or Estiatorio Milos....ate at a good NY deli last week in SoBe, Hank and Harry's--great pastrami sandwich.

Mexican?--have yet to find a great one, let alone Mexico City or Baja cuisine. Please provide recommendations for me to try. Cuban?--I have been to Havana 10 times and have yet to find a place in Miami as good as some of the places I ate at in Cuba (La Cocina de Liliam, La Guarida, La Casa, etc. etc.) which I find surprising....looking for good Southern cuisine like I can find in Savannah or Charleston--recommendations, please.
I want to try out Green Papaya Vietnamese in Hialeah. I didn't find Phuc Yea downtown all that great.

For Mexican I have to be seriously motivated to go, but I like Las Potosinas down by homestead. Ambiance is a campsite, although the last time they had definitely upped their game, so maybe they're getting more professional. The food was exactly like I remembered from Mexico, and definitely worth the trip for me. For those not willing to drive that far, they also show up periodically at the street fairs throughout the county. Also, Agave at the Publix shopping center in Doral does an excellent taco, Monterrey style. But it doesn't feature larger meals. If anyone can find a proper chicken in mole, let me know.

I'm not sure it necessarily fits Southern... but Swine in Coral Gables features one of the best meals I have had down here.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
For Indian, I've heard this place in N. Miami is the best in all of South Florida: Zaika Indian Restaurant

Vietnamese is catching on but its more predominant in Orlando in the 'little vietnam' area. Although Basilic, right across the street from me in North Miami, has had great reviews. There are also some 'Pho' places popping up but I don't care for their cuisine (or Indian or Greek) so I can't help you on that front.

Rocco's in FTL is still my fav for Mexican in S. Florida but I know, its not Miami. I also don't like soft corn tortillas so 'authentic' Mexican only has some dishes that appeal to me, not others. I've heard the Farmer's market near Knauss Berry Farms has very authentic Mexican fare, but its a very far drive for you.

With regards to restaurants in Miami, yes You need to be Between Coral Gables & Aventura to really enjoy all these great restaurants we have.

Doral CityPlace recently opened and a Coopers Hawk just opened there. Curious to see how that does since it really thrives in the Orlando Suburbs. But I think the wine club/wine focus will work in Doral since its a more affluent area.
I went to the Grand Opening of Cooper's Hawk, and basically got to taste their entire menu.. and trust me it's pretty good. They're also located in the heart of our commercial district so I think they'll do a lively lunch business.

I'm much more concerned for some of the other businesses in the strip, since they don't have the street visibility of Cooper's Hawk. In any case, considering the number of new residential units being built upstairs, they'll have a pretty captive audience if they put together good business plans.

Cooper's hawk also has a nice happy hour menu!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami