Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:11 PM

52 posts, read 52,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
I am fully Bi Lingual too, but MIAMI is More Latin American than any City in the USA....People live here for 30 years and never needed to learn english and never will.

Not being sarcastic it's just a Miami thing. I am a USA Citizen and I don't like it but is a FACT of This City's Posture on the Language issue.

I go to Tarpon Springs, Fl and Astoria, NY n' they speak to me in Greek, Little Italy in Manhattan, NY and I find people talking to me in Italian, that doesn't happen in China Town because I am not Oriental.

So it happens all over this country at a minor scale, but it's a reality.

I keep saying the PROBLEM in Miami IS NOTHING more than the people in Customer Service and The Hospitality business do a HORRIBLE job, and that's where the Bad Reputation comes from.

The poster behind me brought the language ISSUE and not in a very GENTLE Way, not me ... It doesn't bother me a bit. I arrived in the USA 52+ years ago and I have no skin, but a turtle shell anymore and the crap bounces off me.
Yeah, try doing a good job while being overworked and underpaid like most ppl are in the hospitality industry.

The truth is (and everybody will admit it, including the non-speaking English portion of Miami's population) that it should be mandatory for immigrants to know basic English to stay in USA. Canada, Australia and England do it, why can't the US start implementing such laws as well ?

At the end of the day, those measures, while severe, look out for the immigrants themselves, for they guarantee they will be able to support themselves financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 11:00 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Obv the majority of people don't hate Miami, otherwise it wouldn't be the most expensive major city in Florida. It wouldnt be building tons of housing. It's not like Miami has all the good jobs, it's actually the opposite, the average salary in Miami is horrible.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 06-20-2018 at 11:14 PM..

Old 06-20-2018, 11:09 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Miami new money people have no class or tact. Being rich does not mean you are better than anybody else.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:03 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthislikepoetry View Post

The truth is (and everybody will admit it, including the non-speaking English portion of Miami's population) that it should be mandatory for immigrants to know basic English to stay in USA. Canada, Australia and England do it, why can't the US start implementing such laws as well ?

That'll be the DAY also when the Guns are Outlawed in This ENTIRE Country. (never)

Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthislikepoetry View Post
Yeah, try doing a good job while being overworked and underpaid like most ppl are in the hospitality industry.

At the end of the day, those measures, while severe, look out for the immigrants themselves, for they guarantee they will be able to support themselves financially.
but why should they learn English if Miami is set up economically as to they don't even have to bother with the English language?

Old 06-21-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
but why should they learn English if Miami is set up economically as to they don't even have to bother with the English language?
BINGO !!!!!!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
BINGO !!!!!!
I disagree with this. You should still learn English if you want to be uber rich in the USA. If you want to be poor and blame the super rich for keeping the poor down then go ahead. I learned English well before I even moved to the USA. English is the official business language of the world. Spanish is helping as well but not is not English.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:56 PM

Cool....You have your side and go with it !!!!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
as stated earlier in this thread, one of the reasons that contributes to 'hatred' or dislike are the drivers. I almost get hit by a car as a pedestrian on a weekly basis.

I got hit by a dry cleaner van when I was walking in the parking lot circle of my condo yesterday. The s*hmuk was driving too fast around a circle and was not even looking straight ahead nor paying attention when he went into me. Fortunately, he was not going THAT fast, he hit his brakes fairly quickly, and I am very athletic and agile and was not injured in the incident. (A small child or elderly person would not have been as fortunate as I was).

He happened to catch me on a good day and I forced a "lo siento" out of him. He is very lucky as my bad mood days often outnumber my good mood days and had he caught me on a bad mood day I definitely would have pressed his insurance company for compensation for soreness (my building has him hitting me on video) and I would have called I.C.E and INS and asked that they perform a background check on him. I let it go--next prick who hits me with a motor vehicle while I am walking will definitely not find me as forgiving or compassionate.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-21-2018 at 05:48 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM

80 posts, read 61,499 times
IMO a lot of people hate Miami because they love Miami, but hate everything they have to deal with to live here (and they're frustrated because they can't change those things they hate). It's a very love/hate thing most people have with living here.

I believe the single most thing that contributes to the hate is the traffic and the way people drive out here. There are days where it seems like all out lawlessness. I've been seeing more and more people in Jeeps and trucks going over medians, grassy areas, etc. to get to where they are going. There are way too many people who simply refuse to "accept" the traffic issue, and still want to drive like all out a$$holes to try and "avoid" the congestion (it's futile).

I also here a lot of people say "there's just too many people here." Yes, but you are also "one of those people" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami