Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 04:04 AM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times

Advertisements

heh. i grew up in socal. i like the humidity cuz its different. i was so sick of socal after having lived there for like 26 years.
the bugs are bad but you get used to them. i tell myself if i ever expect to hike around in borneo or australia i need to get used to the worst here to build up my tolerance. i still havent had the guts to don a net jacket and go hiking in everglades natl park in the summer and some of the spiders out there are BIG.
the heat isnt as oppressive as hiking in vasquez rocks off the 14 or joshua tree in 115 degree F weather. i know, ive done that too. it looks like youre walking around in a swimming pool the air is wavering so bad.
i love heat anyways. its a side effect of being trapped in cold gray cubicles typing away for years.
the flatness isnt noticed so much when youre in hammocks out in the everglades or near lots of beautiful trees. did you get down to the keys at all?
the pine forest up in bear island off tamiami was beautiful. we've got to go camping up there.
what bugs did you see that you said looked like mutant creatures from mars?
another thing. it takes at least 2 weeks to get used to the humidity, if you came here in august or september right from san diego you wouldnt be able to deal with the change. coming in winter and adjusting to it gradually and you wouldnt mind so much. i dont even feel humidity till its hot and near 100% now. i disagree with what you said about the people. the people are way friendlier in socal. i dont see many people abusing illegal substances. i wish they all smoked pot more. i worked at one place in LA where on break a whole bunch of people would go out in the parkinglot and smoke pot. they were all very kick back people. i miss that.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:06 PM

i was last there 2 years ago. my girlfriend lived in aliso viejo.
it was paradise compared to here in miami
yeah you have day laborers but its full out assimilated into latin culture here
Moderator cut: cut

Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
[quote=CiXeL;297096]i was last there 2 years ago. my girlfriend lived in aliso viejo.
it was paradise compared to here in miami
yeah you have day laborers but its full out assimilated into latin culture here
Moderator cut: cut
Aliso Viejo is a ritzy suburb and a sharp contrast to L.A. It is about 70 minutes away from the general war-zone.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:12 PM

my friend lived on spyglass hill over by rogers gardensm in newport. i lived in manhattan beach and grew up in redondo beach. my brother lives in a gradually gentrifying part of lawndale.

here in miami you dont see anything like those places. its usually either EXTREMELY WEALTHY estates or very poor.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:22 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times
Moderator cut: cut The weather is about the only thing nicer. Both Miami & L.A. are super expensive and have bad traffic.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Moderator cut: rude i was able to get along quite well in los angeles without ever having spanish
even in the ghetto i could find people who knew english
cant say the same for here in miami

Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 PM

370 posts, read 903,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw1283 View Post
Hey
I've spent a good deal of time in LA but Ive never been to Miami, but always hear people compare these 2 cities. What can you tell me about Miami and such? Ive seen Miami on tv and they make it seem all glitz and glamour just like LA, but I know thats not reality. Fill me in!
LA is different because it is truly diverse and interesting. You can get to other interesting places from there too.

Miami is a sweaty nasty place at the tip of a peninsula. There's no way out. I have a boat and that helps, but the waterways are so crowded and coming back from the islands you're treated like crap by customs.

No comparison.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I have only visited LA twice, but here's my take. Miami has cleaner air, and WAS a nicer place. In 1993 when I visited LA for two weeks for work I was convinced that Miami was much nicer. LA traffic was horrible, the city had slums worse than Miami and it was quite ugly. yes there are the rich areas, but all in all I was disappointed. Second time I visited was in 2004, and it was even worse, but Miami had fallen to the level of LA and all things considered was worse, as the miami weather is a lot worse and the scenery had changed for the worse. As for the people, they went from average to good looking to below average in Miami. The women in Miami really took a dive in looks, while in LA you can still find blondes, brunettes as well as the more standard Latins. The refugees in Miami have more attitude than LA as many are from South America and the islands and think they are the world's best. LA is awful but Miami got even worse. It's sort of like comparing the sewer pipe to the septic tank, both are connected to the toilets where the wealthy sit.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:38 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Who are you kidding, Miami shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Los Angeles. Miami will NEVER have the stature, power, global influence, cultural sophistication or beauty of Los Angeles.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
I've never been to Miami,but I agree with you that even though their are alot of Spanish Speakers in L.A,you will usually find someone who speaks English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
Moderator cut: rude
i was able to get along quite well in los angeles without ever having spanish
even in the ghetto i could find people who knew english
cant say the same for here in miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami