Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times

Advertisements

To answer the thread title in a single word: no.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:38 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times
WOW!! over an hour and a half from PBC to Downtown Miami!! That seems like a long time. I heard West Palm Beach has a real high crime rate. I also was reading that they have come a long way compared to the early 90's when 80% of downtown WPB was vacant. Is it really that bad there?

Taking a different approach, what areas are nice in the Miami, PBC, Broward area? I was looking at this place called Coconut Creek. I love the name. Is that nice? I want to live in an area with real nice homes, clean manicured lawns and clean safe streets.

Daniel_T

Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
WOW!! over an hour and a half from PBC to Downtown Miami!! That seems like a long time. I heard West Palm Beach has a real high crime rate. I also was reading that they have come a long way compared to the early 90's when 80% of downtown WPB was vacant. Is it really that bad there?

Taking a different approach, what areas are nice in the Miami, PBC, Broward area? I was looking at this place called Coconut Creek. I love the name. Is that nice? I want to live in an area with real nice homes, clean manicured lawns and clean safe streets.

Daniel_T
What you described (For what you want) sounds like almost all of SW Broward and much of south Palm Beach County. Which includes the cities I mentioned, and their closer than Coconut Creek or Palm Beach County. Coconut Creek, by the way, is an alright area, pretty clean looking, newer, tried to have an equestrian theme but failed (lol). Suburbia USA.

West Palm Beach is so far from Miami. And it is really bad in places, it's decay rivals Miami. Thats what I mean when I say Palm Beach County has a lot of inconsistencies. That being said Fort Lauderdale had some hard times too in the 90s when the population started shirking due to suburban exodus, but it has since rebounded significantly and is now the safest out of the major South FL cities.

Anyway, let me describe some commutable cities in depth that you might like

Weston- It's as clean and green as they come. Too clean for some, as the look can get "Cookie cutter" at times. It's a master planned community by Arvida of many gated and ungated communities and attractive homes. The code enforcement gestapo is also very active in Weston, so if you don't like that, I don't suggest it. It has a very well planned road system, which means traffic delays are nearly unheard of in city limits. The schools are some of the most well rated, but overcrowded. Pretty upscale.

Davie- It has little rural patches, even a little "redneck" thing going on. Mostly a middle class suburban type area ranging from mobile homes to sprawling estates on acreage. People seem friendlier than other towns. Pretty typical suburb.

Cooper City- Established, well maintained, tree lined neighborhoods with a sense of community. Very family oriented area. It's the kind of place where people know each other in the grocery stores, and you might even see somebody wave at you in their car (and I'm NOT talking about the middle finger!). Dead center middle class area.

Pembroke Pines- The main shopping area of SW Broward. Clean and tidy appearance, but it's more crowded and congested than some of the other options, also more affordable.

West Miramar- See Pembroke Pines, but with less traffic and shopping. Notably diverse.

All of these have low crime, with Weston ranking as one of the safest cities in America and Pembroke Pines being the second safest city in Florida. You can rent a 1 bedroom condo in the 900-1000 a month range.

I would tell you about Palm Beach County, but I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction for a Miami commute.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times
Well for the commute, anything under 45 min is good. Thanks for giving me those suggestions. Weston sounds attractive to me as well as pembroke pines? Are there any areas that look (tropical) strange question:>. I love the palm trees and water but don't want to live near the beach. my grandmother who is the biggest snob in the world lives in Hollywood, FL. Is that an alright area? I know it's probably not the best for hurricanes. My grandma's house roof got ripped off a couple years back.

Daniel_T

Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Well for the commute, anything under 45 min is good. Thanks for giving me those suggestions. Weston sounds attractive to me as well as pembroke pines? Are there any areas that look (tropical) strange question:>. I love the palm trees and water but don't want to live near the beach. my grandmother who is the biggest snob in the world lives in Hollywood, FL. Is that an alright area? I know it's probably not the best for hurricanes. My grandma's house roof got ripped off a couple years back.

Daniel_T
Hollywood ranges from Old Florida Funk to the pits, to anywhere in between. It's an older, inner city/urban type area. Sections of the city east of US1 are nice, and further west it gets pretty rough. Downtown Hollywood is getting cool and funky, that's an area I recommend that's (now) safe and walkable. 30-40 minutes to Miami. If you live east of U.S.1, its nice.

Pembroke Pines is immediately due west, and yes, it has that tropical look, as does Weston, and any other South Florida city. The latter has an underground power grid, which means out power doesn't go out during hurricanes.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:31 PM

197 posts, read 668,571 times
I think Miami is a very safe city, taking in consideration the size of the population and the influx of people that are in transit or for a short period of time.
Since I can remember Miami has always been trashed and/or loved by the media. And like any other big city there are great, good and bad neighbourhoods. I think if some one is looking to visit a place with international flavor Miami, is a good choice.
If you go to MIA try to be in the safe area (there are plenty IE Coral Gables, Doral, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne, South Miami, Miami Beach; Etc). Check the Greater Miami and The beaches websites for recomendations.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 AM

546 posts, read 2,147,282 times
To answer your question: No. Most of Miami-Dade is safe. Come down and visit and judge for yourself.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
You must take 441, either that, or your one of those people doing 35 in the left lane on 95 ! It hardly takes me 40 minutes to get to Metrozoo from Weston and I don't drive that fast.
Yes...441. I did say off the highway, which would count out I-95.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:25 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
i love how people say "oh i think miami is just dandy" yet i bet VERY FEW people on this forum actually live in it's city limits. i can tell because every time someone wants to move they recommend them a place far, far away from miami; yet miami is oh so safe. jump off the wang here guys.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:59 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Miami is probably the safest city in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami