Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:41 AM

9,365 posts, read 14,309,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
Can anyone explain what people mean when they say Miami is a "third world country?"
There is a thread on the very question, addressed to southern Florida in general, on the general Florida forum.

I think the term has lost its meaning in the past fifteen years or so, but in this context it generally refers to what some view as the "undiscipline" manner in which certain groups live ... low level of education, inability to communicate fluently, like lack of professionalism, low pay, wide income/wealth gaps, corruption, flow of funny money, lack of infrastructure, lawlessness, trashy neighborhoods ... etc. ... this should really be the topic of another thread ...

Old 12-17-2007, 02:23 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times
Just wondering...sounds like alot of Miami haters use it alot and I wonder if they've ever visited a third world country.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

Liberty City is well south in Miami-Dade County,
When did Liberty City move south???

It's located dead center in the city... Overtown and Liberty City are side by side... You may be thinking of Florida City which is deep south...

Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokay57 View Post
BTW, I have been living in Miami since 1973 and have never ever been a victim of crime. I have lived in Saga Bay in the 70's, Palmetto Bay area during the 80's and 90's and now in Miami Shores. This is my recipe: Keep up your guard up when driving through Ghetto neighborhoods, Dont stop for gas or anything in Ghetto Neighborhoods, Keep away from anything that has to do Ghetto/Thug culture (i.e. concerts, street events, movies, clubs etc.), get an education or a skilled trade and learn to speak, write and read perfect english.
You are definitely not the norm... Lived in Miami Shores for 2 years and was a victim of crime... Count your blessings dude and get the hell out before you too fall victim.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You do well to seek a more serious source of information than CNN. Turn off the television, for good. Believe me, in ten years you'll love yourself for it.

Liberty City is well south in Miami-Dade County, not sure what the report you watched meant by Miami, the word can have at least three meanings.
I think you're mixing up Liberty City with Florida City. Liberty City is right in downtown...going north from Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Don't know what the hell you're talking about but the last time I checked Liberty City is in Northern Miami-Dade.
LOL...no it's not. Maybe you're thinking about Carol City?

I guess all ghettos are the same, huh?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:38 AM

440 posts, read 1,495,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
You are definitely not the norm... Lived in Miami Shores for 2 years and was a victim of crime... Count your blessings dude and get the hell out before you too fall victim.

Not true .... Tokay57 is in the norm , as long as you use common sense and stay out of the bad areas that all major cities have , you will be fine . My boss lives in Miami Shores , been there 22 years in a beautiful neighborhood and he and his family love it . He also assures me he has never been the victim of crime in South Florida .... lucky probably not , uses common sense and little bit of street smarts definitely .

All cities have this same issue , I travel to Atlanta and Houston frequently and talk about some scary ghetto areas ... wow just as bad and dangerous as anything in South Florida .

Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post

All cities have this same issue , I travel to Atlanta and Houston frequently and talk about some scary ghetto areas ... wow just as bad and dangerous as anything in South Florida .
That's true. But I think the thing about Miami is that people are exposed (via TV, movies) to small portions of it (Miami Beach mainly). Miami in itself is not a huge city. But the proportion of "bad" areas to "good" or "better" areas is more even then you would think.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:03 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
That's true. But I think the thing about Miami is that people are exposed (via TV, movies) to small portions of it (Miami Beach mainly). Miami in itself is not a huge city. But the proportion of "bad" areas to "good" or "better" areas is more even then you would think.

No way...another exaggeration. Rattle off some bad neighborhoods and I can name another desirable neighborhood in Dade County. Miami-Dade County is full of desirable low violent crime areas. It's just the bad ones that make the news and the TV shows.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:06 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,455 times
she said miami itself not dade county dude. of course your boss hasn't been a victim of crime, he lives in miami shores!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami