Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Y
Liberty City is well south in Miami-Dade County, not sure what the report you watched meant by Miami, the word can have at least three meanings.

Don't know what the hell you're talking about but the last time I checked Liberty City is in Northern Miami-Dade.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
I've heard it all now from a travel nurse, Miami crime is worse than DC or Detroit! Why don't you compare the per capita murder rates of each city? I seriously doubt Miami is anywhere near those two. For crying out loud Jacksonville has a higher per rate than Miami! Jesus the exagerrations on this forum are incredible.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:04 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
I think you felt a false sense of safety in the cities you mentioned the old Miami the one back in the 80`s is what is sticking in most peoples mind.

It`s not like that now Detroit and flint are much worse HAVE YOU SEEN THE URBAN DECAY IN DETROIT? it makes the worst parts of Dade look clean.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:07 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
detroit is just ugly it doesn't mean it's out of this world dangerous. it was founded in 1707, of course some of the structures are going to be falling apart lol.

miamirob, jacksonville does not have a higher per capita rate in any category.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
detroit is just ugly it doesn't mean it's out of this world dangerous. it was founded in 1707, of course some of the structures are going to be falling apart lol.

miamirob, jacksonville does not have a higher per capita rate in any category.

Detroit has about 400 murders per year with just twice the population of Miami, the crime is worse there. And you are right just because a place looks dirty and run down doesn`t necessarily mean its crime is really bad, but Detroit is as bad as it looks.

Miami may have alot of crime but it is nowhere near the days of the 1980`s and that is what most people remember when talking about crime in miami.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:12 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
I guess in Liberty City they even let the traffic lights flash yellow so you don't have to stop (to prevent carjacking). Is it like that all over Miami? What is the real scoop?

Not all of Miami-Dade is like Liberty City, thank god. But it is slowing getting worse. When stats come out for this year, if they are not found to be cleaned up for tourists, I bet crime will be up in Miami-Dade. You really have to watch yourself here in Miami, and it doesn't matter where you are. I watch woman in stores this holiday season leave their purse in the cart, with people walking by. They are just asking to be robbed. It just boggles my mind. Or my neighbors that leave their windows open, someone can climb right in their windows. I would never in Miami even in the best areas.

The flashing traffic lights after certain hours, yes you will find this in many parts of Miami even the good parts. But this is for everyones safety, but its nice to not sit at a light at 5 am with no cross traffic.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times
Miami sure doesn't sound like the place I would want to go to college or settle down. It's a real shame. It's got great natural beauty and great weather. Guess the city is Sh*t though. By the way, I love Detroit. Nice place.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:15 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Detroit has about 400 murders per year with just twice the population of Miami, the crime is worse there. And you are right just because a place looks dirty and run down doesn`t necessarily mean its crime is really bad, but Detroit is as bad as it looks.

Miami may have alot of crime but it is nowhere near the days of the 1980`s and that is what most people remember when talking about crime in miami.
yeah it's crime is up there but what i meant was it's ugliness. i was watching videos of it's slums on youtube to get an idea and it really looks sad. i bet the city would improve drastically if they tore those houses down and build a housing project or two. if it isn't for the abandoned buildings detroit doesn't really look all that bad, here is the videos so you can judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfhsS-KMFL4

here is a video of one of the most notorious areas of miami, the opa locka triangle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVIkQd24rtU

not much scenery is shown but it has it's decay as well

here is a video of ne 62nd st

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ8TT1Qy0X4

Old 12-16-2007, 08:12 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,090 times
Yeah Detroit is pretty nasty, but there are some real nice areas of Detroit as well. Just like in Miami. I guess every city has it's nasty parts, but some more than others. Thanks for the links, I enjoyed the videos. By the way, what exactly is the Opa Locka triangle, where is it and why is it so bad?

Last edited by Daniel_T; 12-16-2007 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: more questions

Old 12-16-2007, 08:14 PM

I`ve been around miami those videos really don`t show as much decay as there is, but no one seems to be fiming the ghetto in miami like the detroit guy was.

Maybe you can`t because people live there unlike detroit that looks like a ghost town, miami looks much more alive in the hood then detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami