Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times

Advertisements

the dudes who filmed the detroit videos said there where people there but they didn't film them for "fear of being shot." yeah there really isn't anyone making documentaries about miami's hoods or ghettos. wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

the opa-locka triangle is basically where most of the drugs are sold in opa locka. based off of wikipedia:

Quote:
The Triangle is bounded by State Road 9 on the south, Northwest 17 Avenue to 22 Avenue on the east and west portions and Northwest 151 Street on the north in the City of Opa-locka.
if you check out the wikipedia opa locka page it's murder rate isn't too far off of detroits, ****ed up place.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:28 PM

686 posts, read 3,715,544 times
I see. So in your opinion, is it worth even giving Miami a chance? what percentage of Miami as a whole is actually nice and worth investing in? Are there any nice areas that are affordable for someone not super rich?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:58 PM

41 posts, read 169,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
you don't even live here, who are you to give information?

there is a case currently going on regarding 7 people from liberty city who where going to bomb several buildings, including the chicago sears towers; i'd be careful.
OMG!!!, you take that case seriously. Those 7 people don't even know where Chicago is.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:14 PM

41 posts, read 169,136 times
BTW, I have been living in Miami since 1973 and have never ever been a victim of crime. I have lived in Saga Bay in the 70's, Palmetto Bay area during the 80's and 90's and now in Miami Shores. This is my recipe: Keep up your guard up when driving through Ghetto neighborhoods, Dont stop for gas or anything in Ghetto Neighborhoods, Keep away from anything that has to do Ghetto/Thug culture (i.e. concerts, street events, movies, clubs etc.), get an education or a skilled trade and learn to speak, write and read perfect english.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:03 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Don't know what the hell you're talking about but the last time I checked Liberty City is in Northern Miami-Dade.
Sorry about that, confused with Leisure City, Florida City, in south county, but the rest of the comment still stands. Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:19 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
I see. So in your opinion, is it worth even giving Miami a chance? what percentage of Miami as a whole is actually nice and worth investing in? Are there any nice areas that are affordable for someone not super rich?
You could actually take a map and do the calculations, but, roughly, around 15%, and perhaps that is generous.

If you come to work as a wage-earner, not worth it, unless you really love US-style tropical weather and are willing to make sacrifices for it. In that case, your best bet would be Miami Beach, working in the tourist trade, possibly living with roommates.

You may consider an area called Kendall, but it is spotty, far from the ocean, and I can see no reason to emigrate there to be a wage earner and deal with all its problems.

If you come as a student, consider generally speaking, following the southern leg of the metrorail run, from downtown/Brickell to Dadeland, a relatively narrow corridor also running through Coconut Grove and Coral Gables, the latter featuring the University of Miami, and South Miami. Living here may be affordable with a couple of roommates, but it also assumes that you can afford private tuition (it's becoming increasingly senseless to come out of university tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt).

Nice suburbs further south are Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay (I believe that the pro football player recently shot to death by burglars in his home lived there), but super pricey.

There is also Florida International University in western Dade, the closest nice neighborhood being Doral.

There is Barry University (private Catholic) in northeastern Dade and I believe some relatively nice neighborhoods in North Miami or thereabouts, but also a spotty area (detailed thread on this area a few months back).

Of course, anything straddling A1A is generally very nice (e.g. Sunny Isles, Balfour), but super pricey.

If you come to enjoy the tropical weather and work in the tourist trade on Miami Beach, that assumes that you are young, but obviously even that becomes old after a while.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:25 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post

I would do more research come for a visit and look around before throwing the idea out just yet.

I`m sure there are still plenty of people who like Miami and are doing just fine, just because a place has negatives does not mean it`s all negative for everyone.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:08 AM

546 posts, read 2,146,755 times
OP-Have you ever visited Miami and if so, for how long?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 AM

546 posts, read 2,146,755 times
Can anyone explain what people mean when they say Miami is a "third world country?"

Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times
i'd say miami is still worth a shot - maybe not the city of miami itself but the areas surrounding it are fine; not too affordable though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami