Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times

Advertisements

Our neighbors are both Hispanic Americans (Cuban and Costa Rican). They've been in the US since they were children and speak unaccented English. When their little girl was born they wanted her to learn Spanish first, so they decided to speak only Spanish around her - no English in their home. Their daughter started talking at the usual age, but she would only speak English. She picked it up from the TV. She's in high school now and understands some Spanish, but speaks only English.

It's possible for a child in an English only family to become fluent in Spanish, but it's certainly not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times
I have a feeling my views on this won't be too popular, but as a non-hispanic white who has just recently moved here from California, I feel very much like an outsider here. There seems to be an unspoken kinship among the Latin Americans in Miami and the non-spanish speaker is just someone to be used for money or anything else that benefits the Latin American community. When I bought a house here, my financial situation, of course, had to be revealed to the Cubans who were handling my purchase. I thought they were trying to help me when they recommended an insurance agent and a home inspection company, (both Latin American owned companies) but both of them were just trying to get as much money out of me as they could and provided less than expected service in exchange. I have a feeling they were told that I had some money in the bank and that they should try and get as much of it as they can.
I've made no new friends in the 10 months I've been here. My neighbors, both Latin Americans, have been polite, but not friendly. I've had almost daily battles with the parents that come to pick up their kids from the middle school across the street from me. Apparently, parking in someones driveway is considered acceptable in the L. A. culture, in my world, it's called trespassing, but they get upset and argumentative when I ask them to not park in my driveway.
Even at my work, where there is a larger number of non-hispanics than you would expect considering the area demographics, there is still a separation where the L. A.'s socialize and speak to each other in Spanish and don't include the non-hispanics.
I know it sounds like I should just pack it in an leave for other locations, but I've committed myself to living here and plan on sticking out, taking the good with the bad as best I can.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I have a feeling my views on this won't be too popular, but as a non-hispanic white who has just recently moved here from California, I feel very much like an outsider here. There seems to be an unspoken kinship among the Latin Americans in Miami and the non-spanish speaker is just someone to be used for money or anything else that benefits the Latin American community. When I bought a house here, my financial situation, of course, had to be revealed to the Cubans who were handling my purchase. I thought they were trying to help me when they recommended an insurance agent and a home inspection company, (both Latin American owned companies) but both of them were just trying to get as much money out of me as they could and provided less than expected service in exchange. I have a feeling they were told that I had some money in the bank and that they should try and get as much of it as they can.
I've made no new friends in the 10 months I've been here. My neighbors, both Latin Americans, have been polite, but not friendly. I've had almost daily battles with the parents that come to pick up their kids from the middle school across the street from me. Apparently, parking in someones driveway is considered acceptable in the L. A. culture, in my world, it's called trespassing, but they get upset and argumentative when I ask them to not park in my driveway.
Even at my work, where there is a larger number of non-hispanics than you would expect considering the area demographics, there is still a separation where the L. A.'s socialize and speak to each other in Spanish and don't include the non-hispanics.
I know it sounds like I should just pack it in an leave for other locations, but I've committed myself to living here and plan on sticking out, taking the good with the bad as best I can.
Interesting and valid points. However, planning on "sticking it out"? I guess it may be a good thing if you plan to assimilate to and accept the norms of this area, but if it becomes frustrating over time, would you then consider leaving?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 AM

139 posts, read 277,767 times
I'm also a non-hispanic white although I do speak and understand spanish but would never be mistaken for a native speaker. I think it partly depends on your mindset coming here. Most people are more comfortable around their own and only certain people really feel comfortable breaking outside of their core culture. One of the first days I was out here with some colleagues from work, another white non-hispanic guy told me that I would hate it here and want to move to Ft. Lauderdale within a few months. It took me several months to acclimate as people in Miami are not the most open in the world but if you take the initiative and start interacting with people, I think you will find that there are plenty of people willing to hang out with a non-hispanic american.

It also goes both ways. Some hispanics groups are going to be less likely to want to interact. Recent immigrants in areas such as Brickell (immigrants with money), or Little Havana (lower/middle income immigrants) are probably not as used to being around americans and are less comfortable. I would also say that as a massive generalization, I've found that people that grew up in Miami but lived elsewhere in the US (for example went out of state to college, etc...) tend to be more open than those that have lived here their entire lives and are still hanging out with their friends from highschool.

Finally, there are plenty of non-hispanic whites in Miami in certain areas (Coral Gables, the Grove, S. Miami, Miami Beach, Miami Shores, Pinecrest, Design District, etc...) so it doesn't seem to me that it should be that big of an issue. Hispanic people in those areas are used to interacting and socializing with non-hispanic whites.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
if you hang around the affluent white americans who live
in miami, you will not feel left out or as if you have to be
around hispanics all the time i guess.

miami is still america and the flag is still flying, you know?
it's not a total spanish annex. there are just very many
cuban americans who keep things in the family as much
as they can, if possible.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
if you hang around the affluent white americans who live
in miami, you will not feel left out or as if you have to be
around hispanics all the time i guess.

miami is still america and the flag is still flying, you know?
it's not a total spanish annex. there are just very many
cuban americans who keep things in the family as much
as they can, if possible.
It's as close as you can get without leaving the USA ....

Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 AM

15 posts, read 65,964 times
Just curious, how do the 'Miamians’ perceive Asians? The reason I asked this is because we are moving to Miami by October this year; we are Asians living in Germany at the moment and though we are well educated (we both have our masters degree) and come to Germany as expatriates, we are tired of getting this fierce *** nasty ‘look’ from the locals; never in a German mind they think that Asians can come here as expats instead of maids / interns / low income immigrants! So I’m just wondering how are we going to be perceived around there? Info: we don’t speak Spanish, but we do speak fluent English.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
Indifferent... no one here cares if you are Asian.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Indifferent... no one here cares if you are Asian.
Agree. You will be another member of a voiceless, single digit demographic

Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by depecantique View Post
Just curious, how do the 'Miamians’ perceive Asians? The reason I asked this is because we are moving to Miami by October this year; we are Asians living in Germany at the moment and though we are well educated (we both have our masters degree) and come to Germany as expatriates, we are tired of getting this fierce *** nasty ‘look’ from the locals; never in a German mind they think that Asians can come here as expats instead of maids / interns / low income immigrants! So I’m just wondering how are we going to be perceived around there? Info: we don’t speak Spanish, but we do speak fluent English.
You will not have a problem here. My husband's boss and coworkEr are Asian and they have lived here a long time. They both live in palmetto bay and pincrest areas another lives in east kendall area.You also have a growing Asian population now because of Chinese investors, and Asians from Peru buying in this market. We have a huge mix of a lot of cultures here, of course mostly Latin Americans and Caribbean areas.

I doubt you will get that nasty look from anyone here. Hey I speak Spanish and English but there are times when I am surrounded by folks from Brazil or are Russian ( mostly north Miami) and for the most part I just find it interesting and can manage if I have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami