Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 05:27 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,377 times

Advertisements

This here is the deal breaker for white-non hispanic families. The schools. It's not racist to want some diversity for your child so they aren't the only white kid in the school. To get some diversity and that really only means at least 20-30% white non hispanic school population. Nobody is asking for even a white majority school, just enough diversity so your child won't feel ostracized or victimized by bullying or violence for being different in the worst cases. That means you need to live in Pinecrest, Aventura, Miami Beach, Key Biscayne or put down $50k for private school like Randsom Everglades or Miami Country day. Those are basically the options.

Even Broward is increasingly becoming non-diverse as far as the schools go for white non-hispanics. The white population is much older than the hispanic and black population. Broward is 35% white non-hispanic but the schools are about a 25% white non-hispanic.

Quote:
It's been only a minor nuisance for me up to now but becoming a larger problem when it comes to schools. As the local school is 97% Hispanic and the nearby Charter schools require maintained proficiency in Spanish/Portuguese. I'd have no issue if these were a bit more diverse and Spanish was an elective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 04:15 AM

622 posts, read 427,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
The US Census Bureau gives about the same numbers.... it's for all of Miami-Dade

says the population is ~2,760,000.....and white non-hispanic is ~13%....so that gives you around 350/360,000

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rida/PST045218

Most probably Jews, foreigners or Catholics.
Not WASP.
There are also third and fourth generation Cuban-Americans that don't see themselves as Latinos.
In fact, many third or fourth generation Cuban-Americans are leaving or left some time ago.
The same meat grinder in which were processed other "not white" groups such as Irish, Italians, and Catholics at large.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:45 AM

160 posts, read 191,299 times
Miami is extremely racist. Blacks have it worse than anyone. Many hispanics do not like them, and they are very open about it privately. The N-word is routine. It's very hard for blacks to get good jobs. Hispanics don't want to hire them, and most blacks do not learn Spanish, which is nearly a requirement, because hispanics resist learning English.

A Cuban friend of mine had her company transfer her to another city because she could not stand the way Cubans treated her non-Cuban husband. She doesn't look hispanic, so they often made nasty remarks about him in Spanish in her presence, and they gave Cubans preferential treatment at his expense.

You will hear denials. Don't pay any attention. Ask people like me, who got out.

On top of this, the traffic is unbearable, and people are extremely rude. Also, there is no culture at all.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:48 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Hoarse View Post
You will hear denials. Don't pay any attention. Ask people like me, who got out.

On top of this, the traffic is unbearable, and people are extremely rude. Also, there is no culture at all.
And yet you still live here?? why??

Old 11-25-2019, 03:00 AM

622 posts, read 427,079 times
Miami resembles Toledo 700 years go. A large Juderia, a large Aljama, off walls with merchants and guilds and the Christian city.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:56 AM

363 posts, read 442,757 times
I lived in S Fla for 12 years and I had no issues. I had to adjust....... those who expect S Fla to adjust to THEM are the ones who have issues.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:51 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
As a poster stated above, you need to adjust to them. For the most part and depending where you live the people CAN be nice and fairly well mannered. You will get your jerk offs who will bump into you without saying excuse me or run traffic lights as if the communists are coming for their belongings, but in nicer areas of Miami you are more likely to run into nicer people.

Where you sacrifice as a natural born US citizen is with common every day conversations—not exactly shocking you will have less in common with people from different continents. You are not likely to have a discussion about the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox—let alone hockey (Neymar or Messi more likely)—but stuff, and not just sports, you would talk about back home or even in other states is less likely here with the majority of people born elsewhere. YMMV but you will have to work a little harder for in depth conversations that you are used to. The positive side of that is you will have more privacy if you wish. Little less of an adjustment on Miami Beach but then you will deal more with residents more likely to live there only part time and more tourists.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:47 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
For the most part and depending where you live the people CAN be nice and fairly well mannered. ... but in nicer areas of Miami you are more likely to run into nicer people.

The positive side of that is you will have more privacy if you wish.
That is my experience too. At a minimum, people respond to courtesy and politeness, and a little humility, in kind, at least not with hostility.

I expect nothing more and nothing less, and most of the time my expectations are met.

Perhaps I have an advantage that I know how to be courteous and polite in Spanish, and I am from a big city where hardly anyone knows each other and moreover privacy is of high value.

In any case, realistic expectations management is key, in all situations in life. People need to develop accurate measurements of reality, not whine and complain when their whimsical wish-lists are not realized by magic.

In my experience, beyond basic common courtesy, humans have no obligation to be nice and friendly, though they do have an obligation to work and to help in times of dire need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami